Examples Of Actors Playing Best Friends, When In Real Life The Actors Hate Each Other

This happens a lot. Off the top of my head, I know the entire cast of Friends are very close… friends… in real life.

Also, the entire teenage cast of That 70s Show (except for Topher Grace) all hang out as well. Grace seems to be excluded because he’s a) a bit of a nerd or b) not a complete tool. Take your pick.

I’ve never seen anything that would convince me that Stephanie Zimbalist and Pierce Brosnan would cross the street to say “hi” to each other. They’re both consummate professionals, and speak highly of each other in all the special features on the Remington Steele DVDs, but it comes across as Very Polite.

Sheriff Andy Taylor and his sweet Aunt Bee seemed to adore each other, but apparently things weren’t as cozy between Andy Griffith and Frances Bavier.

I’ve heard numerous people say that Andy Griffith can be very difficult, but in this case, most observers put the blame on Bavier, who didn’t seem to get along with ANYBODY on the Mayberry set. She was, of curse, the only former cast member who never took part in any reunions.

I think that just about every other Andy Griffith Show regular did a guest spot or two on “Matlock”, which seems to indicate they must have all gotten along with Griffith to some degree…

I don’t think she didn’t get along with them. My understanding is that she just didn’t socialize with them. There was something of a gonzo/frat boy mentality among the early cast. Curtain was a 28 year old woman who didn’t do drugs and had recently gotten married - outside of doing comedy she didn’t have all that much in common with her colleagues.

When I was a kid and Wayne’s World 1 and 2 were popular, I read that Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were actually not friends on set. However, this was not from a trusted source and I haven’t been able to confirm it.

I heard that Mickey Rourke was a real dick to Kim Basinger during 9 1/2 weeks.

Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins played close friends in love/hate relationships in 2 films, “The Old Maid,” and “Old Acquaintance,” but by all accounts they despised each other. Hopkins constantly tried to upstage Davis.

I can’t confirm what I’m about to say either, but I heard it a bit differently – that Myers and Carvey did start out as friends. Why they’re not on speaking terms now is because (again, AIUI) when Myers’ ego started taking over the planet, Carvey took it more personally than did others who hadn’t been close to Myers. Not implying that Carvey might have overreacted, but “They have the most power to hurt us, who we love.”

It also includes Wilfrid Brambell and Harry Corbett, the stars of Steptoe and Son, the British television comedy that was remade in the U.S. as Sanford and Son.

Myers didn’t want Carvey in the Wayne’s World…I can’t remember if it was skit in general or movie when it turned into one. Also, Myers’ Dr. Evil character in Austin Powers is a bit of a spoof on SNL Overlord Lorne Michaels - the pinky to the mouth move is a Lorne-ism. But the person best known behind the scenes for his imitation of Lorne…was Dana Carvey. So Myers appropriating it for Dr. Evil was a bit awkward…

Shelley Long famously did not get along with either of her “Cheers” romantic interests. She & Danson clashed quite often, and at one point Long wanted Kelsey Grammar’s Frasier character written out of the show because she felt that was stealing the spotlight from her.

Actually, Shelley Long was supposedly a pariah on the set of “Cheers.” Jay Thomas, who played Carla’s husband Eddie said that during the lunch break, in the studio break room, Long always sat by herself at one table, while every other person on the show sat another on the far side of the room.

Oh, and speaking of Jay Thomas’s Eddie Lebec character, Rhea Perlman (Carla) also demanded that Eddie be permanently written out of the show, because she felt upstaged by him.
William Frawley & Vivian Vance were already mentioned, but Lucy & Desi ought to be checked as well. Though married IRL, it was nothing like the sweet-natured romantic union depicted onscreen. Lucy admitted that part of her motivation to do the series was that she could keep an eye on her husband who was constantly drinking, gambling & philandering. The couple very quickly divorced as soon as the series was over.

Also worth mentioning is Robert Reed of “the Brady Bunch.” It’s well known that he was especially uncomfortable & uneasy during his scenes with Florence Henderson. This had more to do with Reed being a closeted gay man than his personal feelings for Henderson. But the constant snuggling & kissing a woman (even Henderson) got to be too much for him and he became increasingly difficult to work with.

I seem to recall Jackie Gleason and Art Carney either didn’t get along, or had some sort of falling out.

Can’t imagine why. Doesn’t seem like Gleason had an ego, or anything…

This mirrors the problem Martin and Lewis had. They were friends, but in two-man acts, the straight man often gets ignored over the wisecracker, even though both contribute equally to the act. Lewis got all the accolades and that really got under Martin’s skin. Having the salary cut shift in Costello’s direction sounds like the same thing.

Nelson Eddy and Jeanette Macdonald were cast together in eight wildly successful musicals in the 1930s. They hated each other passionately – except when they were passionately in love with each other. They had affairs, broke them off in anger, got together again, broke up, etc. But in several of their films, they were at the hate stage of their love/hate relationship.

golf clap

Here, here. Good chap.

I think I read where Frances Bavier apologized to Andy Griffith for her actions shortly before her death.

Aunt Bee is one of my favorite all time women characters.

Terrence and Phillip, while starting out as best of friends, had their relationship slowly deteriorate over the many years of working together. According to the documentary “Behind the Blow” Their working relationship started to deteriorate when their made for TV movie “Not without my anus” aired instead of the popular “The John Schneider Variety Hour” enraging many fans who expressed their frustration by burning down the studio killing 6 and wounding 12 others. Phillip was replaced, and Terrence continued to show some of their classic sketches, while Phillip joined a Shakespearian troupe in Canada. Things looked finished between the two until 2001 when the two unexpectedly patched things up, even performing together in a small town in Colorado to celebrate earth day. Today, despite a recent threat from the show “Queef Sisters” their show continues to be the most watched show in Canada, and indeed is responsible for much of the Canadian GDP.

Oh sure - blame Canada…

:wink: