Extend PATRIOT Act? Moyers has 'scoop'

Left-wing journalist Bill Moyers claims to have a scoop regarding the PATRIOT Act. I’ll be reading it now, but put me down as a “no.”

There are multiple PDFs to read, sorry.

The center for public integrity is probably the source

http://www.public-i.org/dtaweb/report.asp?ReportID=502&L1=10&L2=10&L3=0&L4=0&L5=0

Holy crapatola, if this passes, they will be able to take away your citizenship for terrorist acts. Plus, they will be able to define what a terrorist act is.

If this passes and does not get overturned by the judicial branch, I will lose what little faith I have left for checks and balances.

I wish I could say I was surprised by this. Too bad I can’t :frowning:

MrTuffPaws, that may be true, but since he is also re-writing the FOIA, you won’t know about it.

/e wonders when Ashcroft will define “Terrorist Act” as voting against Bush.

Holy Cow! I will have to plow through this…I think it may be the first law that would allow for revocation of citizenship for something other thn fraud in obtaining it. This scares the crap out of me…when I’m back at work on Monday, I’ll let y’all know what the American Immigration Lawyers’ Association has to say about it. I’m sure they’ll have a few choice words.

Watching the Moyers show on PBS. Talk about your multi-media. Lets meet to talk after!

Jesus Horatio Christ. I just watched the Moyers report. Jesus Horatio Christ.

Does the Constitution define or protect citizenship?

How much are tickets to New Zealand?

So protecting one’s Constitutional Rights from government abuse is now left wing?

Here is a transcript of the discussion on the show…

http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_lewis2.html

What are we coming to?

I’ve wanted to mention this several times:

Whether Ashcroft is lying or truly well intentioned, do you think the Germans knew they were being lied to before WWII?

Nope. I just like to admit the source’s bias up front. Nobody has to point it out. Moyers is left-wing, right? Anyway, I’m ‘left’ on civil liberties - striving always to not be a screwhead.

Amendment 14:

“Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the UNited States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immuniites of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

I swear, just a minute ago I saw something in my darn Constitution pamphlet about Congress having the power to regulate naturalization (cut me some slack; I’ve had almost an entire glass of wine, which affects me like a whole bottle would affect a normal person), but it’s pretty well-established in case law that naturalizations don’t get revoked unless they were grandted erroneously, such as when they were granted as a result of fraud. If anyone takes issue with this analysis, they’ll have to wait until Monday when I’m back at work for a more definitive answer.

Tomorrow, or the next day, they’ll deny everything. It never happened, its an exaggeration, it’s all a fraud, a hoax put up by disloyal elements to embarass the Administration. You know those guys will say anything to discredit truly loyal Americans. After all, if they’re not guilty, if they’re truly loyal, what have they to be afraid of? Real Americans don’t fear authority. Real Americans love authority. Real Americans…Real Americans…

Is there a term for deja vu when its a nightmare?

So elucidator, having read your little Moyer’s transcript, there is still no evidence that this alleged proposed law will allow the gummint to deport citizens.

Do you care to retract that portion of your “arguement”, or do you want your lie to flutter about in the wind, for all to see?

Either way is Ok with me, btw.

From the Center for Public Integrity

I wonder if becoming a member of shein fein (sp?), the “political wing” of the IRA is enough to get you declared “Not American Enough.” I wonder if Ashcroft can just declare that the Black Panthers or Greenpeace is a terrorist organization. Is writing a letter to the editor that states the Black Panthers were instrumental in the struggle for racial equality and urging everyone to learn from their organization “providing material support”?

Worst. Administration. Ever.

So how does an American citizen, born and bred in their own country, become a non-citizen under this leaked draft?

Expatriate where?

Sorry, milroyj, I was distracted from your petty slander by pencil pushers quote above. You were saying something about how I was a liar? Please, dont let me interrupt while you tickle your tonsils with your toes. By the way, how do you manage to stuff your foot in your mouth with your head up your ass? Yoga?

Current law…………

New York Law Journal, April, 1995

Just so we know what we’re talking about.