[QUOTE=Morelin]
I actually have a massage question for you WhyNot. I’ve had a number of pedicures recently and they all come with mini-massages, even including the hot stones, which I haven’t tried. Inevitably, the masseuse finds a delicate spot and contiues rubbing and whatever until it’s really painful. Is this normal, or am I just really sensitive?
[/QUOTE]
No, tell her to cut it out.
Well, maybe. If she’s found a knot of muscle, she might be trying to get it to relax. She may be trained in “reflexology” which states that the sore bits are the bits that need the most attention. I’ve personally found that when I find a sore bit I should slow down. Like reeeeaaaalllllly slllllloooooowwwww dooooooowwwwwnnnnn, and even stop, keeping firm pressure but not moving at all. That lets the spasm relax and melt away. Rubbing at it vigorously keeps it in spasm.
Hijack: Have you ever played with oobleck, a mixture of corn starch and water? It’s got these weird properties: if you hit it with force, it’s hard and crumbly, but if you hold it still or just gently touch it, it oozes between your fingers like a liquid. Muscle tissue is much the same way - go in too hard or too fast, and everything tightens up. Move really slowly, and it just sort of melts and lets you in. This is probably showing the taint of my deep tissue and myofascial release training bleeding into my Swedish work, but I use what works.
One of the hardest parts of being a massage therapist is getting your client to communicate with you. Too often, people think it’s supposed to hurt or “no pain no gain” or that it’s a “good pain”. Generally speaking, I should not be causing more pain then you felt lying down, at least not for more than a few seconds. But, good as I am, I can’t always tell when I’ve hurt you. I try - I listen to the rate of your breathing, I look for twitches and jerks, I feel for spasms and knots, I listen to the sound of your voice, but some of you are just too good at hiding when you’re in pain.
Tell me when it hurts. Then I can adjust what I’m doing, or at least tell you why it hurts and ask if you want me to keep hurting for just a few seconds because it will get better, or stop what we’re doing. You’re the boss, but I need memos.
If you’re telling her and she’s still hurting you without explanation, then it’s time to find another therapist. Either she doesn’t care or she’s got mits of stone and isn’t good at what she does.