Famous People and Message Boards

Sometimes I wonder, how many REALLY famous people post on message boards like this one? I mean, there’s got to be at least a few that have taken advantage of the anonymity of the internet to express their thoughts.

For all we know, Saddam Hussein, George W. Bush and Noam Chomsky could be posting here ingognito.

I am Spartacus!

I am Spartacus!!

Well, I’m Marcus Licinius Crassus, so you’d both better watch out!

I am Spartacus and so’s my wife.

Oooh, can I be Dorothy Kilgallen? Arlene Francis?

Seriously, though; if there were any really famous people here, I think they’d keep their ID a big secret . . .

I am not Bob Barker.

I touched someone famous, but I won’t say who and I won’t say where. OK, I will say where. San Diego.

I heard a rumour that Kirsten Dunst (Mary Jane in Spider-Man) used to post to Fark

I am Dick Clark’s hair.

Wil Wheaton used to post on GEnie during the first season of ST:TNG. J. Michael Stryczinski was there for a time, as was Neil Gaiman.

Lots of well-known SF writers post on http//:webnews.sff.net , though usually in the private categories. However, some have home pages and newsgroups there.

I don’t know of anyone “famous” who posts anonymously, though. Either they refuse to reveal themselves, or if they post, they want people to know who’s saying it.

He also posts occasionally on Slashdot under the alias CleverNickName.

He also posts as Wil on Fark.com

[hijack]
And not to deffend the Wesley character which Wil himself does not defend that strongly, but you should read his website. He seems to be a pretty together and fairly humourous guy. Not at all the wimpass chaaracter he gets dragged through the mud for…
[/hijack]

And as far as other famour people go, does any really count more than Cecil Adams, revered amongst the teeming millions?

I’m famous, but nobody knows it yet.

Who is Wil Wheaton?

I’ve pretended to pose as a celebrity a number of times. I’ve even convinced a few peons in a message board frequented by much less intelligent web surfers that I was a part of the cast of the next Real World.

Why would someone come out with who they are on a messege board?

I mean what would you think if you posted or got in a debate with someone who seemed to know quite a bit about James Bond and they said well I did play him for 10 years… in an 70 something-British-Roger-Moore kind of way???

Would you believe him?

Most likely not, so that in fact may be a great way to double blind the public and post to a board. Just post with the handle Sean Connery or whoever, because no one will believe you anyway.

Quite a few famous people are enthusiastic EverQuest players, so if you can’t find them on the message boards, get an EQ account and start up a dwarf warrior. The elf who’s stealing all your kills could be Brad Pitt.

We have a couple of minor celebrities around here that we know of. I’m sure there’s got to be one or two ‘big ones’ as well - we are a pretty diverse bunch.

With my luck, I’ve pissed off Barbara Walters or something. There goes my career in tele-journalism.

Who are the minor ones? Real names, not nicknames are sufficient if they do not wish the notariety…