Famous people you've been an airplane with

Andre the Giant, him in first, me back in the cheap seats. Rode up in an elevator with the Kinks, if that counts.

The Georgetown Hoyas basketball team, at some point during the '87-'88 season. They all had aisle seats and looked uncomfortable. John Thompson might have been in first class but I don’t remember.

Charlie Steiner, from ESPN. His shirt cuffs were monogrammed.

I fly…a LOT…I’m Platinum Medallion on Delta, for what that’s worth. That said, you’d think I would have met more famous people…but, here’s mine:

George Takei - nope, didn’t talk to him, but a couple geeky types did (go figure) :smiley:

James Earl Jones - Now, this one was coooool…the company I work for is based in Kansas City…I shared a shuttle (a shuttle!) with him to the hotel. I thought he kinda looked familiar, but then, when he spoke to the driver…WELL! That cinched it. I spoke with him for a few minutes as to why he was in KC, etc…turns out he was there for some kinda jazz/blues festival or something. Ok, it wasn’t an airplane, but we had both just been on airplanes, so I guess that counts.

Hal Ketchum - yep, first class, along with me, in the seat behind me. You know…the guy who sang “Small Town Saturday Night.”

Al Roker - on an escalator at Hartsfield International Airport (Atlanta). He was on his way back to New York.

Not that many…

But you know you go through Atlanta waaaaaay too often when you have the escalator announcements for Hartsfield airport memorized (and can immitate them):
“You have entered the Transportation Hall, which leads to your departure concourse, ticketing, and baggage claim. This is a no-smoking area.”

As a pilot for a production company for a while, I have had several people fly with me for various reasons. But away from where I know them is the most fun.

Was standing around before a show being bored as I didn’t know any of the performers at this show. Part of the pre show was an Indian dance troupe and me and this little old gray headed guy in a pony tail were just standing there watching this together when we both just started helping these people and their kid performers move heavy boxes of props and stuff. We were grunting and pushing and working together. Late that night this same little shit comes on stage at the start of the main act like he was somebody and started singing amid wild cheering. ( Was Willy Nelson and I had not a clue.)

I have made that kind of “OOPS” more times than I really want to admit.

Well, it WAS sorta out of context you know…

Greatest Lady performer under all circumstances and conditions and to all people and who I just loved to do shows with her as the STAR, =Reba McEntire. A class act 100% lady.

A Hustler model on her way to LAX to do a girl-on-girl video shoot. Interesting conversation.

Richard Harris in a plane from DC to St. Louis in the mid-80s.

It was really rather pitiful. He strolled up and down the aisle several times, looking as if he was expecting comments and/or adulation.

AFAIK, nobody said a word to him. He was too scary looking – he looked as old and decrepit as he did 20 years later. He looked like a total wreck. What could you say except, “You look TERRIBLE”?

I was on a plane once with a guy who looked very similar to Billy Idol, but I know jack about Billy Idol other than his appearance in the Wedding Singer, so I didn’t say anything. Man was fine, though: sunglasses, leather, spiky blonde hair. A little old for me - but I guess that’s Billy Idol, too.

Personally, I have no stories to share. My father was once on a plane with Rick Pitino. Another time, he flew with a Swedish diplomat who qualified as a VIP, so there were heightened security measures.

Really? I’m surprised to learn that he doesn’t have his own private airplane.

Tommy Lee Jones

One for the Brits: Ian Hislop and Sir Bert Millichip, on the same flight. And while I was waiting in the BA lounge for that flight, John Cleese sat next to me. I didn’t speak to any of them.

Not quite on a plane, but Gary McCord in Hartsfield airport (Atlanta). The odd thing is that he’s the only pro golfer I’ve seen away from a golf course, and I’ve seen him twice. The other time was in a bar in Chicago.

Peter Noon
Jerry Springer
Della Reese
Ben Stein
Rob Reiner
Moby

Probably a couple more but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Haj

Zach de la Rocha (formerly of Rage Against the Machine) was on a SFO->ATL flight that I was on. I thought that was him, looking entirely out of place in first class, but they announced that they had a message for a Mr. de la Rocha over the intercom, and I was right. :slight_smile: