Farting in a Tank

A few years of lurking the SDMB, and this was the thread that finally made me register. They don’t teach you this stuff in school, I tell ya.

I never was in a tank, but in a “buttoned up” underground bunker, you can still smell the farts that were let out during the last drill! The air you got has to last until the door opens, because the back blast from a missile launch is exceptionally toxic. Thankfully, anti-air craft launch areas were fairly wide open, and usually fairly breezy.

Everyone knew who was prone to flatulence, and what had been served for lunch, in advance. Not that it did you any good. Everyone goes into the hole, when the siren goes off, including the Launching Area Cat.

Tris

I was in the Marine Corps with a fellow that would get sick from the sight of eggs and ham. When he was in Vietnam he was filling some sandbags and dug up a boot with a foot still in it. The foot looked exactly like eggs and ham. Prior to that, he told me, he had rather enjoyed the meal.

Yer right. I was thinking oxidation, but forgot about N’s most stable form.

Soul Welcome to the boards. You are 100% correct that you don’t learn stuff like this in school.

Somebody go get the squid while I keep him busy talking.

I was never in an underground bunker, but in a dormitory at boarding school, you can still smell the farts that were let out during the 19th century. The air you got has to last until the morning because the windows wouldn’t open due to warped wood.

A back blast from a missile launch, however toxic, would have been like a breath of fresh air.

You called?

To carry on with this, when I did fire fighting and CBR training in the Navy I explained that the mask filters out particulates not the gas itself. A gas mask is not to be used in a smoke filled enviroment in lieu of a proper fire fighting rig. You will still die of smoke inhalation, however it will be nice clean filtered smoke.

So, when farting in a tank after a night of Mexican food, does one shout, “Fire in the hole!”?

No, you shout, “Away!”

Tankers will get that one.

When I was in the Navy, you had to yell “Hot Spot” when you let one slide out. It was also know as Venting to Outboard.

My Senior Chief would load up on cheap beer and chili dogs the night before a uniform inspection.

His record for causing personnel to projectile vomit while standing at attention was 2.6.

The 0.6 was from a guy that only had the dry heaves.

Mexican has nothing on dark, German beer. You can knock out half a company the next morning at P.T. after a few of those the night before.

A discussion on “most noxious farts” may be found here.

He says the term rings a bell, but he doesn’t remember what it means. It’s been a few years…can you refresh his memory? He was on a fast attack, if that makes a difference.

Then, does everyone else say “No joy?”

That depends on if you misfire.

How toxic IS said backblast, anyway? What’s in it that makes it so noisome?

I feel like I have to note that, while fresh urine does contain some ammonia, it’s urine that’s been left to steep in the sun that has the most pungent ammonia smell. The ammonia doesn’t appear in truly stench-worthy quanities until the chemicals in the urine (though I’m not especially sure what those chemicals are specifically) start to break down.

I don’t know what it is about men and farts, but I can out-belch any man I know… Ladies can be just as gross when they want to be. :wink:

Well, I Am Not A Rocket Scientist, but believe that it’s full of combustion products from the very scary chemicals that rocket scientists gleefully mix together when they are told “we need some rocket fuel that is very very high-performance and stable. Don’t worry about how much it costs to make, or what the EPA might have to say”.
A swift google for missile fuel turns up fun sentences like:

React chemicals like that at high temperatures and :eek you get Phosphine , Flourine , all sorts of nasty organics, none of it good to breathe in.

Woohoo, thanks! Very enlightening. (The first paragraph not so much, but the second one is clear as crystal.) You know, I don’t know if this is stupid of me or just an ordinary person extending their limited knowledge, but I always figured missles used the same fuel as space shuttles and the like, such as liquid oxygen. I don’t know if that would actually work in a missle or not.

With all the combat gear any flatulence will be well filtered first.

NO Matches! Might blow the turret off, leaving the crew exposed to open air and make them targets for ied practice rounds,

Better “Grin and Bear It.” :slight_smile: