Fatburger vs. 5 Guys comparison

A Fatburger has just opened up where I live. We also have a 5 Guys. These are both new here, and I’m interested in doing a proper comparison.

What item on the 5 Guys menu would the Dope say is most comparable to the Original Fatburger? I generally get the Little Cheeseburger “all the way”. Is there a better choice for comparison?

The 5Guys menu is pretty darn simple. You choose your own toppings from their list of available ones. The only difference is one or two patties, cheese and/or bacon. Order whatever toppings come on the burger you want to test against.

garygnu, you’re in San Jose, right? Be advised that a Fatburger is opening up soon in San Jose, sort of in the North King/McKee area IIRC.

As to the OP, I’m interested too. I haven’t had a Fatburger in 15 years or more, ever since I moved away from southern California. We used to go to one on State Street in Santa Barbara and I loved them. While I like 5Guys very much, my memory is that Fatburger is the superior burger.

That’s the other side of town for me, but we might go out to try it. Thanks for the heads up.

If I were to do a true honest head to head comparison I would try to keep them as simple and as similar as possible. I would probably get a small from Fatburger and a Little from 5 Guys.

I would then dress them very simply with American Cheese, Ketchup and Mustard. Even something like pickles can vary enough to change your experience, but it may not be the fault of the burger itself.

Of course, if I’m just going these places to enjoy myself I’ll order whatever sounds good at the time.