Favorite band from Texas? Also, Does Texas Rock = Southern Rock?

Bwahahahahaha! I remember Billy Goat. Yes, I think they were the highest point ever achieved simultaneously on the nakedness, humor and talent curves for a band. Get them playing in the Art/Music College town of Denton, and I think they were at their best. They used ramen noodles like the Gringos used hay. Always a great show. :smiley:

Hooray! I came here to mention them. Great band!

Ohio (Come Back to Texas)

Oh my, Billy Goat. Did they have a lyric that went “Chef Boyardee, and Mrs. Baird, had a baby…Top Ramen over there”? Or something like that?

Cool. I’ll be seeing them on Tuesday.

From Austin: James McMurtry, Bob Schneider and Spoon.
From Denton: Midlake, Sarah Jaffe and Seryn
From Dallas: The O’s ( http://wearetheos.com/ ), Old 97’s
From Fort Worth: The Orbans

For those of you outside the Dallas area stream http://kxt.org/ which is DFW’s public music station for your daily dose of Texas music.

I voted for The Top, but want to give a shout-out to UME. Check them out…

Goddammit, I wish SRV was still with us. :sad:

Yes, and at the moment of Top Ramen’s mention, the smashed up product would be flung over the crowd or flung up at the band, or flung at the bar.

Another great stage show was Crust. Not only did they play home built instruments made from objects like screen door springs mated with guitar pickups pumped through half stacks, but it was common to have things like a whole raw beef tongue sewn inside the g-string worn by the singer, and used to accost the audience. A garbage bag filled with raw frozen pig ears were used at least once that I know of - family fun time!
And as long as we’re naming radio stations, here’s two more from the Dallas area, that play lots of music from Texas:

KNON - Community supported radio that plays literally everything. From Extreme Metal to Country, Rockabilliy, Blues, Rap, Tejano, Punk, Tejano Rap, Jazz, Reggae, and several southeast Asian shows I can’t understand a word of. All of the shows where I can understand the D.J.'s language feature Texas music, and it’s always worth tuning in for a few minutes to see what’s on. They’re often cash strapped, so if you listen and like them, donate please.

KHYI, if you’re wondering where the good country music is being played, as far as I can tell, it’s here. They do focus on Texas musicians. I’ve heard James McMurtry, Asleep At The Wheel, Steve Earle, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Townes Van Zandt, George Jones, Don Williams, Guy Clark, Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Michael Martin Murphey, Billy Joe Shaver, Nanci Griffith all on there, among others.

Another vote for Doug Sahm/SDQ/Texas Tornados, but I do loves me some Freddie King, too…

I voted for the Buttholes.

I don’t think they’re necessarily the most talented on the list, but they’re my favorite.

Several posts upthread Maserschmidt mentions Scratch Acid. I really loved the The Jesus Lizard, which is the band they morphed into. The Jesus Lizard put on one of the best live shows I’ve ever seen in my life. I’m not sure if they count as a Texas band though, because early on they relocated to Chicago to work with Steve Albini.

And also… Dead Horse! I loved Dead Horse.

No Love for Austin boy Eric Johnson?

Well, it’s not a vote for most talented, it’s a vote for your favorite. So you’re in the clear, Súil Dubh. Plus, you popped the Surfers one higher, so I don’t feel silly for putting them in the Poll (as I type, they’re ahead of Willie :eek:). Scratch Acid and The Jesus Lizard are two of my overall favorites, too.

I’m also torn about whether I’d consider The Jesus Lizard a Texas band. David Yow and David Wm. Sims are both Texans, and they both seem to make music with that je ne sais quoi I associate with Texas. However, Duane Denison brings a non-Texasish aspect to the whole with his playing, which might be because he studied classically in the north, I dunno. For a noise guitarist, he plays with restraint, IMHO. Moving to Chicago kind of implies they didn’t think they were a Texas band, either. Oh well, I love to have them back for visits.

Typo, I didn’t put Eric Johnson on the list because it was getting long, but I did think of him. He’s one of the few olympic level players that hasn’t forgotten that the song is the whole reason he’s holding that guitar.

Daniel Johnston

I voted for Roy Orbison, but only 'cause I didn’t think of Lyle Lovett until I read the thread.

I first saw him in Austin’s old Armadillo World Headquarters, must have been about 1976 or 77. Thought I remembered them saying he was 19 but if born in '55 he may have been 21. Didn’t hear much for awhile, then along came Ah Via Musicom.

Lyle Lovett and His Large Band

Yup, all of them, especially Three on a Hill, Shallow Reign, and Scratch Acid. I never got to see Scratch Acid in the heyday much to my dismay, so when they played a couple of reunion shows a couple of years back I was beyond elated.

Every time you post about the DFW music scene I get the impression that we must have met in real life at some point, or at least been at the same show or party or something. :smiley: I know all of those bands (Crust and Billy Goat too), knew a couple of them personally. The Gringos were fantastic, I was just a snot-nosed kid when they were playing and only got to see them a few times before Tom/Pepe died. I was in Denton at the same time as John from Dooms U.K. and the Slobberbone crew, my band played shows with them occasionally. You couldn’t throw a stick without hitting an incredibly talented band back then.

I’m gratified anyone’s even heard of Drama Tiki (much less seen them), and yes they were great live. I only knew of them because my wife worked with Beth, who sang & played recorder. Nice lady, good band.

No love for Nyogthaeblisz?

Let’s not forget Point Blank either. Free Man, Nicole and Mean to your Queenie were college staples for us.