Favorite Breweries?

So in reading this thread, I got to wondering rather than individual beers that people like, what are the breweries that they like, that are basically “go-to” breweries, and you know that anything they make will most likely be something you’ll enjoy.

For me, my list of go-to favorite breweries is in no particular order (it’s a bit heavy on local German-style breweries):

Avery
Manhattan Project
Odell
Ballast Point
Live Oak
Franconia
Altstadt

So who are yours?

Dogfish Head
Victory
Founders
Southern Tier

^Those are some of my favorite national breweries, along with Oskar Blues

But I need to shout out to some of my favorite small craft brewers who I visit regularly:

Leaning Cask Brewery:. specializing in English beers. Good place to watch Premier League matches. Usually have an English Ale on Cask.
Devout Brewing. Excellent beers. Great outdoor beer garden.
Conny Creek Brewing Great people.
VooDoo Brewery. Has been growing, may no longer qualify as a small brewery.

Bell’s is the first one to come to mind for me.

A moment of silence for all the local brewers who went out of business due to COVID19. I really loved Spigot Brewing. I spent some quality time there prior to the pandemic. Their feature was being tiny. Drinkers sat at the tiny bar, elbow to elbow. :frowning:

If you ever happen to be in Bamberg, in Upper Franconia, Germany (don’t call it Bavaria!) and you are the kind of person who likes beer you will be delighted. The surroundings also have the highest concentrations of breweries I know, most of them with gardens where they also serve local food.

Crooked stave and Ska are my two favorites that are at least regional scale. Then for a purely craft place New Terrian always has good beer and their patio is a blast.

Lagunitas, Sierra-Nevada, Flying Dog,Revolution, and Flossmoor Station, the last is a small place near me.

Victory, Deschutes, and Green Flash are the three that stand out in my mind, but there are a lot of honorable mentions.

In my old stomping ground of San Francisco Cellarmaker is my favorite. There a lot to choose from (including big names like Lagunitas and Russian River in the North Bay), but they stand out to me. Sierra Nevada (a bit further out in Chico) used to be my favorite when i first moved to the states, but that was pretty much as they had no competition where I lived (Reno, Nevada) at the time. Though as is the case everywhere Reno has a healthy brewery scene now.

Here in the DC metro also lots to choose from. My local is Streetcar 82,, which I’m a huge fan of (they are also deaf run, and all the staff are deaf or hard of hearing) but the one I think comes close to Cellarmaker is Cushwa. My go-to pint if I’m somewhere that isn’t a beer bar is an IPA from either Flying Dog or DC Brau, which you usually find most places around here.

There is also parallel list of breweries to visit, and here the DMV has the west coast beat. There is a massive shortage of actual beer gardens on the west coast with actual grass (none of the breweries I mention has them). But here out east there are plenty:
https://www.powersfarmbrewery.com/

Lots of local ones that people haven’t really heard of, the beer scene has gotten good. For major breweries that aren’t macro, Deschutes is always a pleaser. And as I’m starting to reappropriate bottled beer for homemade concoctions, they have by far the easiest labels to deal with of the ones I’ve tried. Get new glue, Sierra Nevada.

I don’t even drink beer, never developed a taste for it, but as a proud lover of Wales, a shoutout to Brains, if only for the Draig Goch logo and the zombie-invoking name. “It’s Brains you want!” is a wonderfully Romero-esque slogan.

A shout-out to a couple of local/regional favorites.

Boulevard and KC Bier in Kansas City
Free State right here in Lawrence KS

I used to like the occasional odd beer from Bridgeport in Portland. Sad to learn that they apparently closed down.

NorthCoast Brewery (Ft. Bragg, CA) rarely misses with any of the beers they make, as is the case with Anderson Valley in Boonville, CA. Sierra Nevada has grown but I still love their beers, including the original Pale Ale

Right now, 3 Floyds and DC Brau.

If you find yourself in SW Michigan you can’t go wrong with these small breweries:

Greenbush

Sliver Harbor Brewing

Watermark Brewery

Three Stars in DC, Heavy Seas in Baltimore. There are more small breweries putting out a good product in this area than you can shake a stick at.

Ooh… forgot about Green Flash. They’re not always so easy to find around here, but they make great stuff. Same with Russian River.

Troegs
Rusty Rail
Southern Tier
Evil Genius

One of my sons is a VP for a distribution company.
He gives me all sorts of stuff. Craft beer, soda, brewery tour certificates, extra tokens for more beer on those tours, etc… It’s a living hell for me. :wink:

One of my favorite local breweries is Lakefront. Their beer is good. They give you beer before, during, and after the tour. And the tour guide drinks with you, before, during, and after the tour. I went on a late afternoon tour once and the guide was completely baked.