Favorite COMPUTER games

1. Half Life
  2. X-Plane (the best flight sim I’ve yet seen)
  3. MAME (Multiplre Arcade Machine Emulator - you can play all the old arcade games!)
  4. Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith

In no particular order…

Battlezone
Battlezone II
Falcon 4 (its not a game, its a sim!!)
Superbike 2001
Unreal Tournament
Team Fortress Classic
Grand Prix Legends
Flight Simulator 2000 Pro
Enemy Engaged: Comanche Hokum

Thats about it right now…

My favorite is probably the original Secret of Monkey Island, and a bunch of my top 10 would be Lucasarts graphical adventure games (Sam ‘n’ Max Hit the Road, both Maniac Mansions, etc). I was a big fan of many of the early first-person shooters, basically following them from the beginning; I played the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D, then was into Doom 1/2 for awhile before Duke Nukem 3D came out. Duke 3D was the first game I played heavily in multiplayer (which, in those days, meant dialing your friends computer with your modem for a little one-on-one). Interestingly, there was essentially no lag in those matches, which was pretty cool. Then came Quake, and more specifically Quakeworld, which blew me away. Here was this amazing community of game devotees who met on various servers for night-long games of Capture the Flag; during the day, they hacked the code using Quake C, put together web pages, etc. Great stuff. I was also a big fan of Half-Life, and then subsequently Counterstrike (which I can no longer play due to a poor internet connection; hopefully, this will be remedied soon). As well, there were some great games I used to play on our old XT, back in the days of Ascii-based graphics (something called Castle Adventure, and of course, Rogue). I’m sure I’m forgetting huge areas of computer gaming (BBS doors, anyone?), but I’ll leave those for someone else to profess their devotion to.

I don’t play many computer games but since you asked I have a few that I enjoy. They may not be stellar games but heck we all have our faults. :wink:

SimCity 2000
SimCity 3000
Loderunner (the “Windows” version is The Legend Returns but the 1984 DOS version was pretty fun too)
Minesweeper
The Windows 95 Plus! Pinball game (can’t remember the name)
There’s a Windows version of Tetris (sp) that you can’t get hardly anywhere but I have on one of my MCSE disks somewhere, man I got hooked on that.
Elf Bowling, both versions

Okay, so I usually go for the freebies but hey why waste your money if you are going to waste your time. < hehe >

Great games:
Total Annihilation. I have had this on my HD since I bought it. Still one of the best
Deus Ex Kick ass graphics and sound and music and story.
System Shock 2 The only game with a fear factor. It made me mutter Oh shit numerous times
Close Combat III and V. THE best RTS games.
Privateer. THE real privateer, not that wanna-be crap THE Darkening. God that one sucked.
Pirates This is still fun today
Masters of Orion II. got 15 hrs of free time?
Panzer General I and II Do you have another 20?
Carmageddon II. When your pissed at the world, run em over!

Really Old Cool games
Captain Goodnight and the Isles of Fear. Anyone else ever played this?

Bah! Star Raiders rules all.

(Anyone else ever got “Star Commander: Class 1”? Jedi mind tricks won’t help you out here… :slight_smile: )

My personal favorites:

1. TNM7 (A simulation of running a wrestling promotion. Incredibly addictive if you’re into that sort of thing.)
  2. Worms Armageddon
  3. Sim City 3000
  4. Doom
  5. Half-Life
  6. Day Of The Tentacle
  7. The Sims
  8. TIE Fighter
  9. Civilization II
  10. Alpha Centauri

In no order…

Rollercoaster Tycoon
Project IGI
Half-Life
Monkey Island 1, 2 + 3
Elf Bowling 2
Championship Manager

Since I got my cable hookup a couple weeks ago I’ve become addicted to the Firearms Half-Life mod. My handle is Atom-Age Vampire In 308. (no, I’m not obsessed with vampires, my handles all come from a Japanese horror-punk band with an “All Your Base”-level command of English.) I’m on way too often, look me up if you don’t mind getting your head taken off every time you stick it out.

Alpha Centauri is cool, but it’s too time-consuming for me to play it other than during vacations.

I’m halfway with you on the Fallout games, Homer… Their open-endedness was great, especially in the second game, but it would’ve been so much better if the combat segment had been a bit more fleshed out than just shoot-miss-shoot-decapitate. I had more fun talking than shooting.

I missed too many of the augmentations on my way, I think…later I looked at some online strategy guides and there were quite a few I didn’t get. I also didn’t exploit those places where you can get unlimited experience.

Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Half-Life
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Unreal
Unreal: Return to Na Pali
Unreal Tournament
Diablo
Diablo II
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Ultima VI
Ultima VII
Ultima VII: Serpent Isle
Descent
Descent II
Descent III
Descent III: Mercenary
Descent Freespace
Freespace II
Mechwarrior II
Mechwarrior III
Deus Ex
Wing Commander
Wing Commander II
Wing Commander III
Wing Commander IV
Wing Commander: Prophecy
Doom
Doom II
Cyberia
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Command & Conquer: Red Alert II

Anyone who only has a “Top Ten” is a wuss. :smiley:

By chronology, my 14 (sorry, couldn’t narrow it down; truly loved 'em all) all-time favorites:
[ul]
[li]GATO (WWII sub warfare; crude graphics, but a surprisingly smart AI for the early 80’s)[/li][li]Tetris[/li][li]Chuck Yeager’s Advanced Flight Trainer[/li][li]Wasteland (EA’s clunky-but-charming EGA-graphics precursor to Fallout)(Yeah, Wolfman!)[/li][li]Wolfenstein 3D (The full purchased package; all levels!)[/li][li]Doom/DoomII (Those graphics, moody lighting and directional stereo sound were an epiphany! And three-dimensionality? I’m in LOVE!)[/li][li]The original SimCity (Hated the later versions.)[/li][li]Perfect General II (Great game but laughably bad documentation; probably the worst docs I’ve ever seen.)[/li][li]X-Wing (Wasn’t that training course sweet?)[/li][li]Privateer[/li][li]Lords of the Realm II[/li][li]Diablo/DiabloII[/li][li]Civilization II[/li][li]Alpha Centauri[/li][/ul]

Honorable Mention:
[ul]
[li]The Dig (great intro, gorgeous interlude graphics and music, but incredibly clunky dialogue by Orson Scott Card)[/li][li]Ascendancy[/li][/ul]

1. UT
  2. UT
  3. UT
  4. ect…

:slight_smile:

absoul those servers are very nice. If you ever want a quick game drop by either #ut187, #1on1, #fym, or #clan_xxx on ETG. I am useally ideling there as Funeral-Dancer, or Second|PuF. See you online.

I have only Rollercoaster Tycoon (and the 2 updates).
Considering the time I spent playing the game, I think that’s enough games for me.

Thanks for reminding me, Tengu!

1. Princess Maker 2.

Incredibly addictive. Beautiful graphics. And free, too! :slight_smile:

huffs himself up and looks offended I never exploited anything either!

Well, I did a couple of them a 2-3 times before I realised that they were bugs.

Civilisation II.
You know it’s a great game when you look at the clock and realise that it’s three in the morning. ‘Just one more turn’.

Day of the Tentacle. - Fantastic script.

Blade Runner - lived up to the film in every way. Reinvented a genre, yet vastly underrated.

Since I have a game review web site I feel obligated to respond to this thread.

1)EverQuest (Someone please save me)
2)Enemy Engaged: Commanche vs Havoc
3)Unreal Tournament
4)Mechwarrior 4
5)Total Annhilation
6)Vampire Redemption
7)Quake 3
8)Diablo 2
9)Earth 2150
10)Nascar Heat (I need to get a hold of Nascar 4, but with the recent tragedy I just haven’t been up to it.)

I’m probably forgeting an important one and my taste change pretty quickly. I should also acknowledge the greatness of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries and Masters of Magic. And Orcachow, I use to play GATO too. That was a fun game. The water color was kinda strange though. :slight_smile:

1. Daikatana…NOT!

2. UT
    1.5. Half-Life (why has no one else mentioned H/L?)

3. Diablo 1 & 2

4. Unreal

5. Quake

6. Tomb Raider Series (What can I say, I love them all)

7. MDK

8. Wheel Of Time (Anyone who finshed the game and heard the WOT DANCE PARTY after the credits knows what I’m talking about!)

9. Fallout 1 & 2 (Tactics you had better be massive)

10. POD

11. Kingpin (Checkmate, fool!)

12. Hall of Giants (CTF map for UT, a map so good I’ve played it more than most other PC games!!)
    11-999. UT

Ah, gamessssssss…

[ul]
Unreal Tournament
StarCraft/BroodWar
Diablo II
Civilization
Chess
Sims
Railroad Tycoon (I still have this for my AtariXL)
Snood
Inkylinks (Shockwave game)
Lemmings
[/ul]

Mostly though, I’ll be playing SC/BroodWar, it’s the only game that lets me feel tyranically sedate in a dictatorial war-monger sense of the word CALM. :smiley: