Favorite concert/music DVDs?

I just watched the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD and I really enjoyed it. The sound quality was pretty good considering it was a live concert, good performances by some of the guitar greats.

I was wondering what other concert or music DVDs other people really liked. Some of my other favorites were Concert for George. And The Last Waltz by The Band.

So what are yours?

Some of my favorites:

Jerry Garcia & David Grisman* Grateful Dawg *- this is a wonderful look at the other side of Jerry - the banjo pickin’ traditional appalachian/sea shanty singin’ side, and has lots of great in the studio material. Grisman, one of the greatest living mandolin players, isn’t too shabby either. Mostly them recording in the studio for the album Not For Kids Only and some rare Garcia/Grisman and Old & In the Way performances. If you like Garcia, Grisman, roots or old-time, you should watch this. Not jam band at all.

Alison Krauss and Union Station * Live *- Unbelievable concert from the best group performing newgrass/country today. Even if it weren’t for Alison’s stunning voice and amazing songs, Jerry Douglas’ dobro playing is some of the best I’ve ever heard. Period.

Ben Folds Five - Sessions at West 54th Great performance, great video.

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble Live From Austin, Texas. Your jaw will hit the floor so hard your shoes will fly off.

Neil Young MTV Unplugged - A seminal performance, and gives rare insight into Neil Young the man, as opposed to Neil Young, the icon.

Stop Making Sense Talking Heads - maybe the best concert movie ever!
The Kids Are Alright The Who - if you never saw Keith Moon on stage, this is what all the fuss was about
Black and White Night Roy Orbison - origiannly produced as a Cinemax special in 1987, it seems the only time you get to see this now is during a PBS pledge drive - so before you hear “Pretty Woman” you have to endure a plea for money. Better to own the DVD and see Orbsison supported by a band made up of Bruce Springsteen, k. d. lang, Bonnie Rait, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne, and a bunch of others in its entirety.

Ghengis Blues The best Tuvan throat-singing DVD ever!

Picker I haven’t seen SRV Live from Austin but I have seen SRV Live at Mantreaux. That was amazing. The guy can play, makes me jealous.

Labdad I’ve seen B&W Nights on PBS and you really do lose the flow with the interuptions asking for money.

Anybody seen Eric Clapton and Nothing but the Blues? What did you think?

As opposed to Old Blue Eyes’ throat-singing concerts, Tapioca? :smiley:

Anyway…I’m a big fan of Sarah Brightman’s One Night in Eden and La Luna concert DVDs, as well as the Freddy Mercury Tribute Concert.

Definitely Talking Heads - “Stop Making Sense.”

Rush - Exit Stage Left
Alice In Chains - Unplugged
Nirvana - Unplugged

Blue Man Group - Complex Rock Tour Live. If it’s possible to wear out a dvd I’m in the process of doing so.

Ozzy’s Live and Loud is good.

I just got the Ramones Raw and it’s awesome.

U2 - Rattle and Hum
Portishead - PNYC (Live at the Roseland Ballroom)
Tom Waits - Austin City Limits performance (from the '70s; probably not available commercially)
Styx - Caught In the Act

AC/DC - No Bull

Wonderful after a hard day. Turn it on, turn it up and hold tight :slight_smile:

Live in Austin and Live at Montreaux are great but my all-time favourite SRV video is Live at the El Mocombo.

Stop Making Sense is one of the best ever concert videos.

Other favourites include:[ul][li]The recent Led Zeppelin DVD set. All of the performances shine, delivering everything that The Song Remains The Same promised, but didn’t.[/li]
[li]Diana Krall: Live in Paris is also a recent favourite. Her recent studio albums have been underwhelming, over-produced and too focused on her adequate but limited singing talents. But, live on stage, she’s able to showcase her wonderful piano playing and improv skills. Plus, she’s sexy as hell.[/li]
[li]Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser is more of a documentary than concert film but it contains lots of great music and arhival footage. An absolutely fascinating portrait of a mad genius. My only complaint is that it’s too short.[/li]
Oscar Peterson: Night in Vienna. Taped last year, the concert focuses on Oscars original compositions and the amazing emotion he can still evoke with his playing. At 79, he’s no longer capable of the lightning fast runs of his earlier years but he’s still a formidable talent.[/ul]

I second, third, and fourth this one. I’m going to see them in February. They are, hands down, one of the finest groups of musicians in any genre anywhere. They have yet to pick a bad song.

Also:

Neil Young in Berlin: Made to support the Trans album. A few classics thrown in for good measure. Two words for Neil Young: tie clip!

Genesis: Three Sides Live: One of the last concerts before Phil Collins’ head expanded into the stratosphere. Daryl Stuermer is a featured guitarist and is highly underated.

The best live concert dvd is The Wall, Live in Berlin, not so much for the musicians though many are fantastic, but for the atmosphere of tearing down Pink Floyd’s wall in Berlin just months after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Being a Frank-o-phile, I’m partial to Does Humor Belong In Music?.

Okay, seriously, how do I punctuate the end of that sentence properly?

BtB have you seen Pink Floyd Pulse. If you like Pink it’s worth taking a look at.

Another vote for “Stop Making Sense”. That’s a high-quality film.

The style books would probably tell you to leave the period off, but I prefer your method. You’re not asking a question, are you?

Ditto.

Yep I’ve seen it, but haven’t seen the DVD available recently, that’s a good idea for my Xmas list thanks.