Favorite fictional vehicles? (NOT including spacecraft)

The snowspeeders from Empire Strikes Back, and the motorcycle that turned into a helicopter from M.A.S.K.

Clearly you were in the proper state of mind to watch that movie.

I think I could squeak in with the Gay Deceiver, the dimension-travelling intelligent flying car from the Heinlein stories.

Only if the TARDIS counts, Sunspace

:wink:

John Drake’s/The Prisoner’s Rotus (Lotus) sportster–man, the opening sequence of The Prisoner still gets to me over 30 years after it was first broadcast!

The motorcycle in that novel was even better.

Some other vehicles I liked:
[ul]
[li]The Nautilus (original Jules Verne version)[/li][li]The flying hotel/cruiseship in The Fifth Element[/li][li]Pretty much all flying machines in Miyazaki’s anime, but especially Nausicaa’s “Mehve” and the Tigermoth (pirate airship in Casle in the Sky)[/li][li]The Rocketeer’s jet pack[/li][/ul]

Aww, Sunspace already named the first one I thought of: Gay Deceiver.

Since you ruled out spacecraft, that takes away the Heart of Gold from Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Okay, here’s some more:

• Ornithopters from Dune (the book). For that matter the giant sandworms too. Are they considered vehicles?
  • Giant spidermobile from Wild Wild West (just once I’d like to drive it to work and blow away whomever parks in my favorite spot).
  • Speed Buggy
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
  • Ash’s Deathmobile from Army of Darkness
  • Several of the Bolo tanks from various stories (by various authors) in the series

MAD-4 Marauder from Battletech.

I’ll second Thunderbird 2 and the Monkeemobile.

Captain Nemo’s Nautilus, in all or any of it’s incarnations.

The various Fantasticars, especially the one that split into 4 parts.

The Martian Tripod War Machines from HG Wells’ War Of The Worlds is my personal fave-rave, and I want one. Think about it: transportation and personal vengence all wrapped up in one package!

The Mobile Infantry Armor from the novel Starship Troopers (I hated them for leaving it out of the film).

Batman’s ultralight helicopter, the Whirleybat. Love that name! :smiley:

Question: Does Optimus Prime count as a vehicle, within the terms of the OP? :confused:

Blue Thunder was bad-ass. Airwolf was a little too overdone for my taste, and Street Hawk was just out there.

The Batmobile from the 90’s cartoon.
The Time Machine.

The Batmobile, particularly the '60s TV version. SUCH a chick magnet…

Miss Agnes, the Rolls Royce pickup truck from John D. MacDonald’s Travis McGee series.

Another vote for KITT.

Well, the Gay Deceiver actually moves. Since the TARDIS technically doesn’t (IIRC), it might not be considered a vehicle at all.

Since Icerigger has already claimed the Slanderscree, I will put forth the gagglezoomer cart from “Snarfquest” (an old Larry Elmore comic from Dragon Magazine). It was a simple wooden cart hitched to a lizard-like creature called a gagglezoomer, a beast with a habit of remaining perfectly still until something touches its rather sensitive back, then taking off like the proverbial bat. It was controlled with a stick and a little parasitic creature. When you wanted to move, you put the parasite on the stick, deposited him on the zoomer’s back, and held on for your life–the zoomer accelerates from 0-80 mph in about 2 seconds. There is no way to slow down (except by removing the parasite, which causes the zoomer to go from 80-0 mph in about 2 seconds) and you steer by banging on the side of the zoomer’s head with the stick until he turns. A zoomer cart has no seat belts or shock absorbers, and may be the most dangerous form of transportation ever conceived.

The Sunbeam Tiger that Maxwell Smart parks in front of CONTROL headquarters. I gotta get me one someday.

Or, if you’re strict about fictionality, the Lotus that turns into a submarine in that Bond movie.

But I’ll settle for the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers’ Megazord. It would make my daily commute so much easier.

-Arrakis’ sandworms are vehicles… Fremen ride them.

-I’ll second ornithopters and the flycycles from Ringworld.

-Silt Striders from Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. (game)

-I liked the noises that issued from the Jetson’s car.

-The rapidly evolving beast that ate Zaphod Beeblebrox and evolved into a nifty little escape pod.

Does a Green Lantern power ring count as a vehicle? He DOES use it to fly around…

It was called The Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down.

Anyone remember the Supermobile? Those big fists always cracked me up, though technically, it could be (and was) used as a spaceship.

Eh.

You just want access to one of those 1890s style “Heat Rays.”

sorry…

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by scr4 *[ul]… [li]The flying hotel/cruiseship in The Fifth Element …[/ul][/li][/QUOTE]
BZZZZT! I’m sorry, that is a spacecraft. Please try again.

I’d like to add, “The Solar Sailer” simulation from Tron. That was a cool little ride.

I can’t believe I missed The Nautilus and The Time Machine. Two of my faves (and I just recently saw “The Time Machine”).