Favorite Motto/Slogan/Mantra?

Not necessarily one that you abide by.

As I was skimming through the rather silly ‘No nos for adult men’ thread I suddenly remembered my division motto/mantra in the rok army which was 수사불패 청성투혼. The second half is rather lame and roughly translates to “I fight for the blue star (our division symbol)”, but the first half, 수사불패 (雖死不敗), is pretty badass. My best translation would be “though I may die, I will not (cannot) be defeated”. Read “su sa bul pae” in Korean.
Mottos in Latin, Chinese or Greek doubly welcome, as long as you provide translation.

Be Just and Fear Not.

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν. (Know yourself.)

It amazes me just how hard that is to do.

Slightly altered quote from Moby Dick:

A short life, and a jolly death!

I love the stupidities of automatic translation. The current generation of software seems especially bad at rendering East Asian languages into English. For example, Google Translate renders this motto as: “Auditory investigation invincible fighting spirit”

Anyway, my favorite motto is the one in my signature. First and second lines:

“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”
If you don’t stop to analyze the snot spray, you are missing that which is best in life. - Miller

I actually taught a friend with fear issues The Bene Gesserit litany against fear :

Didn’t work against the panic attacks …… :frowning:

Not exactly a motto to act by, but rather a truth to remember when dealing with the world…

“Half of the people are dumber than average.”

Eddie Would Go.

Keep your powder dry.

You can’t wish more for others than they do for themselves.

The wish is father to the thought.

Good ideas are a dime a dozen; execution is priceless.

First decide where you are going. Then decide who can go with you.

Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want.

This too shall pass.

That which does not kill us makes us strong.

On my office wall for the last 20 years or so: “Adversity introduces a man to himself.” It helped ground me during a particularly rough time in my life.

I tried to Google the author of this maxim, and came up with the usual Mark Twain/Paul Harvey pseudo-citations, but other than that, no luck.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Stop and think for no less than two minutes before proceeding.

Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

It is what it is. Not what it was or will be or should be or could be, but it is what it is.

Best state motto: New Hampshire’s (“Live Free or Die”).

Worst, against much stiffer competition: Michigan’s (“Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice”, or "“If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you”).

My second favorite: Nothing in this life worth having is ever obtained easily.

Live Without Dead Time.

For some friends I have had t-shirts printed that say:

Yo no soy marinero soy capitan.

I’ve never had another motto printed, so I guess that is it.