Favorite scary, bloodcurdling quotes?

“When I hear the word “culture”, I reach for my revolver.” - Hanns Johst or Herman Goering

What we need in this thread, are some heavy-metal fans who are into the lyrics.

I have always heard that he used the word destroyer which scans much better.

You know, I always heard that, too, but then I googled it to check and got both versions. While googling, I also discovered a book about him called J. Robert Oppenheimer: Shatterer of Worlds, so I picked that version as I thought it would be the more accurate.

I’m really not sure which is totally correct.

On further googling, a Berkeley exhibit gives this information:

We’ll go with that then. As you said, it does scan better.

:slight_smile:

Either way, I think it is the tension that the words “I am become death” elicits that makes the spine tingle.

Coupla more…

"Lewis said he could taste atomic fission; it tasted like lead. "—Notebook of Col. Tibbets.

“Ultima ratio regum. (The final argument of kings)”

• Inscription on french cannons, on order of Louis XIV

Ranchoth
(What, no Rorschach, yet?)

“Arbeit mach frei”
(“Work makes [one] free”)

–On the gateway above Auschwitz-Birkenau

“Jedem das Seine.”
(“Everyone gets what he deserves.”)

– the motto of the Buchenwald concentration camp.

Jack the Ripper (disputed)

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

[QUOTE=Johnny L.A[--------------------------------

“‘It isn’t fair, it isn’t right,’ Mrs. Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her.”

The Lottery, Shirley Jackson

--------------------------------[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite stories, but the really chilling quote, for me, as a couple of lines sooner.

“Somebody gave Davy Hutchinson a few pebbles.”

Literally makes me cringe.

“I will come to you in the black of some terrible night, and I will bring with me a pointy reckoning that will shudder you.”
–The Crucible.

While not particularly terrifying, it is the quote I most often resort to when such circumstances warrant it.

And there’s always the classic “Revenge is a dish best served cold.”

Heaven lent you a soul; the earth will lend you a grave.

Chinese proverb.

Life is a tale told by an idiot, with sound and fury, signifying nothing.
L.A. Story

“Apres nous, le deluge” - said by a member of Louis XIV’s court (please correct my French if it’s mistaken).

:snort:

Like one, that on a lonesome road Doth walk in fear and dread, And having once turned round, walks on, And turns no more his head; Because he knows a frightful fiend Doth close behind him tread.

• Samuel Taylor Coleridge

From The rime of the Ancient Mariner

Several years ago I saw an ad for a movie that showed a family unloading their station wagon in the woods. The point of view was that of something hidden in the woods watching them. I don’t remember the family’s name but it went something like:

“Mike Johnson took his family deep into the woods to see something different…but something different saw them first!”

I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse.

• The Godfather

Go ahead, make my day.

• Dirty Harry

I’m going to get medieval on your ass.

• Pulp Fiction

He suffered much from a morbid acuteness of the senses; the most insipid food was alone endurable; he could wear only certain texture; the odours of all flowers were oppressive; his eyes were tortured by even a faint light; and there were but peculiar sounds, and these from stringed instruments, which did not inspire him with horror.

• The Fall of the House of Usher, EA Poe.

Is it safe?

• Marathon Man

Anyone that don’t want to be killed better leave right now.

• Unforgiven

Colonel Walter E. Kurtz: I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That’s my dream. That’s my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight… razor… and surviving.

Colonel Walter E. Kurtz: We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember… I… I… I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn’t know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized… like I was shot… like I was shot with a diamond… a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God… the genius of that.

Kilgore: I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. It smells like victory.

• Apocalypse Now