Favorite thing about Thanksgiving?

Back in my 20’s I would answered Wednesday night (Thanksgiving Eve). Big party night.

Nowadays, I’d say Black Friday. For my money, no other regularly scheduled day of the year packs as much entertainment value. You couldn’t pay me to actually go shopping on Black Friday, but I’ll sit it front of youtube all day watching fist fight, stampede and riot videos trickle in all day. Hilarious.

It’s beyond comprehension why anyone, let alone millions of people, would knowingly expose themselves to such danger. But as long as people are willing to bash each other’s heads in over cheap TVs, while someone yells World Star! over and over, I’ll just as surely watch the videos.

What’s your favorite part of Thanksgiving?

I hope this isn’t considered a threadshit, but I can’t think of a thing I like about it. Way too much work for too little payoff. Maybe if my wife would let us go out to a Chinese restaurant.

Reading the prayer that Clark says in National Lampoon’s Vacation after Aunt Edna dies as the Thanksgiving blessing.

When the LittleGuy was 4 (and I wasn’t yet OldGuy), we lived in Hyde Park (Chicago). As there was no other family around and we didn’t want to face even the smallest turkey ourselves. So we opted for take-out Chinese. On Monday he went to school and the teacher asked what everyone had for Thanksgiving dinner. She got n-1 answers of turkey. Our son came home and indignantly asked us, “When are we going to be like normal people.”

I’m happy to say the answer is not yet and now he appreciates it. We did, however, begin to host Thanksgiving dinners for foreign faculty members. The first one was a near disaster when we got several last minute calls saying they coldn’t attend because they couldn’t find a babysitter. It never occurred to us that anyone wouldn’t realize that a Thanksgiving invitation is with near certainty an invitation for the entire family. So we had to quick call around and say to bring kids.

I love having the day off work! And maybe, just maybe, two days off!

Ummm… what’s not to love? Family, food, football and forty winks. It has always ranked high on my holiday list.

Thanksgiving itself we spend serving the homeless, but their dinner ends at 3 and we usually are cleaned up by 5. Typically, we’ll break up by gender after that and the boys and I head to my Mom’s and my wife and daughter meet up with my SIL and start Black Friday shopping. We’ll spend the night at Mom’s and make a freaking feast. We eat around noon, sometimes the wife and daughter make it and sometimes they are asleep, but it’s all good regardless. We stuff ourselves silly, say what we’re thankful for and then find a nearby couch, chair, bed or floor and pass out from tryptophan and carb overdose. We’ll then wait until evening and clean up while chowing into leftovers which again stuffs us and leads to an evening of staring mindlessly at a television or going through bags and bags of Black Friday deals that my wife has brought home like a Stone-Age hunter. A truly beautiful holiday.

Our house is a bit less relaxed (when we have family over, like this year) Start preparing the house about two weeks in advance, with dozens of chores my wife thinks need to be accomplished (when, in reality, our house is always in great shape for company). Start cooking about a week in advance. Dozens of hours preparing a meal that will be consumed in 30 minutes. Then a few hours of cleanup.

Thankfully, no one in our family has any interest in Black Friday, so that day is actually pretty relaxing (and leftovers are tasty) Okay, I have a favorite part, the day after.

You got that right, and I don’t even do the cooking. Wife spends all day cooking, and takes me 10 minutes to eat it. Hell, cleanup takes longer than the time we spend at the table. And truth be told, I don’t even like turkey.

Stuffing. Or Dressing, if you prefer. Cannot get enough of that.

Then making Turkey sandwiches with stuffing and gravy on 'em for the next week.

Oh you must have a normal family. Mine is highly dysfunctional. So dysfunctional, in fact, after I moved out of state 15 years ago, I’ve never returned for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. :slight_smile:

Now I just relax and enjoy the off day… no drama. The pie ain’t ain’t bad either. :wink:

I think that maybe you guys take too long making it. If there are multiple adults, you just divy it up. My wife will make the pies and rolls. My mom makes homemade noodles and scalloped oysters. I make the turkey and mashed potatoes. My sister will make the stuffing and typically a vegetable - usually she’ll make some random Chinese dish because she lived there for a year and likes to use any excuse to make recipes she picked up there. My other sister will make another vegetable and the sweet potatoes. My younger sister uses baking for stress relief, so their house is always packed with cookies and desserts. My brother’s wife will typically bring another vegetable or casserole. My brother is worthless, but he’ll entertain the kids. The older kids are old enough to set the table and make it look pretty. Time to cook is pretty minimal. The potatoes take me a half hour or so, most of that is peeling, and the turkey is maybe 20 minutes to do the work and 5 hours of waiting for it to cook with maybe ten miscellaneous minutes of taking foil off and carving it. The cleanup is similarly quick. I’d say maybe 45 minutes to clean up if that. I would guess that it’s probably 3 hours per person total. Not nothing, but hardly the slog you guys seem to imagine. I usually get up at 7 and the meal is ready by 1230 or so and most of that time is spent in the living room gabbing and waiting for things to cook or outside playing soccer with the older boy. Maybe you guys are making too big of a deal out of the meal either that or you need to get some of the other people eating to step up and help out. No lie, our church feeds 750 people on Thanksgiving and it’s probably only 12 or so hours in the kitchen to make meals for 750 people (Of course, it’s a commercial kitchen and three smaller kitchens with lots of helpers and there is lots of donated desserts, so the time isn’t a one to one comparison.) If you’re putting in dozens of hours for a little family affair, you might want to see where you can trim some time.

There was a time when my answer to this was, “Wrestling.” Then Vince McMahon had to ruin it by moving Surivor Series to the previous Sunday. (Well, he ruined it by creating Survivor Series in the first place, but that’s more suited for The Game Room than IMHO.)

Nowadays, it’s a tossup between loads of turkey and mashed potatoes (and, if I’m lucky, a green bean casserole I can stomach) - I can do without the 90 mile round trip drive, though - and putting up the Christmas tree the next day. You read that right. I also used to enjoy the delivery of the White House Christmas Tree on a horse-drawn carriage, which was usually the day after Thanksgiving, but ever since Trump came in, it’s now on the Monday before Thanksgiving.

I like being with family, but that just doesn’t happen very often anymore. So it’s probably the leftovers for sandwiches. My wife prefers to have open-faced with gravy, but I like traditional on white bread with bird, stuffing, cranberry sauce and mayo.

Pie

Wait on the tree. It’ll keep. We go live, so can only put one up three weeks before Christmas anyway. We go with Canaan firs and they start to drop needles after four weeks or so. We’ll probably cut it down the first or the 8th this year depending upon what our schedule looks like. I like to keep it up until Epiphany, but usually I’ll take it down after the Feast of the Holy Family since it’s pretty dry by then.

Watching Planes, Trains and Automobiles. One of these years, I’m going to put it on mute, and Mr. Rilch and I and whoever might be with us will recite all the dialogue from memory.

“You’ll never make the six…!”

(And that gives me an idea. This T’giving, as soon as I’ve filled my plate, I’m going to hold up two pieces of paper and sigh, squint, and “hmmm…” until everyone gets the joke.)

Turkey. I just love a nice roasted turkey, and it’s good for sandwiches for the rest of the week.

The best part is the skin, crispy from the oven.

The guaranteed day off and lack of responsibility (aside from cleaning up).

The long walk before pie.

Black Friday is nothing like it was. The deals are nowhere near as good as fifteen years ago.

Having said that, black Friday shopping at 10am is enjoyable. A lot of the smaller stuff is still available and the lines are gone. By that time the store is as packed as it would be any day at 10am (not at all).

I even bought a TV at 11am at Walmart once on black Friday. They still have sets sitting out.

But a lot of items under $30 are still in stock.

Anyway the best part of Thanksgiving is getting a four day weekend or if you have vacation days, an entire nine days off for three vacation days.

Also eating cold turkey sandwiches with mayo and cheese for the next few days. I love those.

Best part is sitting around afterwards playing a game with family and having a few beers.