Favorite White Trash Foods

I was going to ask if bread and gravy qualified as white trash, or just poor people food.
I came here to mention it, and you already had.

Well, we were far from poor, and not really white trash, so I think it was just a Southern thing really. Or a Depression Era holdover, as in, dont throw anything away. For my sister and I it was a survival tactic - nothing else was edible!

Dried beef gravy over toast, ham salad sandwiches (no ham in them- filling made with bologna, Miracle Whip, mustard, sweet pickle relish, and some Ritz crackers to stretch it out, all put through a meat grinder), and the more recent spicy Ramen noodles with a slice of American Processed Cheese Food melted into them.

Does White Castle qualify?

sliders!

Four people just found a gateway to another dimension, but they forgot one problem… how to get back!

Chicken fried steak with hash browns and lots of peppery cream gravy. Ain’t nothin’ better. It does horrible things to my cholesterol, but makes the rest of me very happy.

And ditto on the fried liver.

Funny you should mention this: I had a ramekin filled with dried-out KD left over from the weekend; late last night, I filled it with milk to rehydrate the macaroni and stuck it in the microwave. It came out a little too soupy, so I added a shredded slice of white bread, a spoonful of butter, and a slice of American processed cheese and stirred it until it was nice and creamy. It was quite nice.*

Waste not, want not!

*Would have been even better if I had sprinkled a little paprika on top, but I didn’t think of it until it was too late. :frowning:

Top it with a fried egg and it’s perfection.

My mother used to make that when I was a kid. Ahh, memories. :slight_smile:

Chipped beef gravy on toast (shit on a shingle)
Bacon gravy on toast (gravy made from bacon fat and flour and salt)

Yum.

I may offend some people, but I’ve always thought of Mountain Dew as being white trashy. Not sure why. And while not a food, I’ve had a similar feeling about Juicy Fruit gum.

Breakfast on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach SC was fried eggs with a pork chop slathered in gravy. Later that night we had fried lobster. Delicious white trash fare for sure but I wouldn’t want to eat like that everyday.

White trash cheese dip:

One whole block of Velveeta
One can of no-bean chili (hot!)
One bunch of scallions green and white, chopped

Put it all in a crock pot until melty and gooey and les yum!

This is kind of like something my wife makes for us sometimes, which is just a can of Hormel turkey chili with no beans and velveeta microwaved together with some Fritos to dip it in. Yours sounds pretty awesome though.

I read that as KY :eek:

Quote:

Coulda’ used a little more gravy though ;):slight_smile:

'Scuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard…

That’s what I’m talkin’ about. It was the only reason I used to look forward to business trips to San Antonio. The hotel had a giant kick-ass chicken fried steak plate with gravy and fries.

As in corn fritters? One of my dad’s favorite foods until around the time his heart landed him in the hospital for a month.

Black Bottom Pie, boiled peanuts. I love this cookbook too Cross Creek Cookery

A ham sandwich on white bread with light mayo and a Tab.