Favorite White Trash Foods

Never had fried possum or cooter pie but I luvz me sum peach pie and sum canned corned beef hash! Those tamales from a jar are good eatin too! You?

Well according to the band Nine Pound Hammer:

Frog’s legs, funnel cake, fatback, Ale-8, spare ribs, bar-b-q, moon pies, Mountain Dew. Cornbread, Texas Pete, Duck-n-Dumplings, jowels with teeth. Buttered biscuits, Little Debbies, Bunny Bread, whistleberries, Collard greens, gumbo, steak fries, Ho-Ho’s, catfish, candied yams, deviled eggs, country ham. Slawburger, fried pies, sweet potatoes, pork rinds, possum sack, deer meat, neck roast, sugarbeets. Whipped taters, rabbit stew, goat nuts, Goo Goos.

Take a pizza crust, spread with leftover MANWICH meat mix, add some onion rings (or FUNYONS if you like Skynyrd), some preshredded cheddar and bake until bubbly and just a bit crusty on top.

I was just thinking about the glorious horror of walking tacos today, a true trashy indulgence usually served at sporting events. An individual bag of fritos or doritos is opened and topped with a scoop of seasoned meat or chili, followed with lettuce, tomato, sour cream, onion, pepper rings, cheese, etc.

I haven’t had one in years, but damned if I’m not going to put fritos on the grocery list.

I must commend you for mentioning one of my favorite “cookbooks” that has favorite recipes from my childhood and ever since. A true piece of work. And Funny, too!

Opened onto a plate or is that stuff just dumped into the bag?

If canned corned beef hash and Little Debbie cakes count, then yes, I’ve had more than my share.

Midwestern American beef goulash

Campbell’s tuna hotdish

Campbell’s ground beef and rice hotdish

Skillet chili

Home-fried chicken with mashed potatoes and creamed corn

Fried corn (not deep fried corn-on-the-cob)
Fried chicken livers
Boiled okra
Crumpled Pringles on everythign

Of course if you want to be fancy, you serve canned pears on lettuce filled with mayo and a maraschino cherry on top; makes the rest of the meal elegant.

White Trash Casserole: Layered in a casserole dish, layering from the bottom up:

Ground beef
Green beans
Cream of Mushroom soup
Mashed potatoes
Corn
Velveeta cubes
Tater tots

Bake 45 minutes.

Velveeta … mmmmmmmmmmm! :slight_smile:

Let’s not forget the ever popular pan-fried liver with mashed potatoes and creamed corn!

The stuff is dumped in the bag, on top of the chips. You then eat it with a spoon right out of the bag. Horrifying, really, but such awesome drunk food!

FunYuns, may the gods forgive me. Such an unholy concoction, but sooooooo gooooooood.

Far too delicious to be “white trash.” “Southern,” maybe, but definitely not trashy.
ETA: That’s “Frito pie” to me, Motorgirl, and it has the singular advantage of not creating any dirty dishes! :slight_smile:

I remember that stuff from school lunches! Dy-no-mite eats.

My favorite “recipe” from that book is Kitchen Sink Tomato Sandwich (or words to that effect). The key is you get so much mayo on the bread and get the juiciest of tomatoes and slice them so thick that you have to roll up your sleeves and lean over the sink to eat them.

I’ve only had it once, at a Roller Derby, and I am trying to remeber what they called it. And yes, I’d been doing some drinking…

All kindsa people are hopping on the White Trash wagon too. Like this one that gives “recipes” for cooking with Gummint cheese, Miracle Whip and Velveeta - the trifecta of trailer park coozene.

Col. Sanders is delicious. Popeye’s is delicious. Chicken dipped in plain flour and cooked in a skillet full of lard until dark brown is trashy. :frowning:

You haved nothing on our family, Laggard. The bolded items in your list we are all familiar with.

Eggs alabam, apple betty, chiffon (jello mixed with whipped cream), dishes with Fritos, pork hocks…my Dad was from Arkansas and, as a former Navy cook, he sometimes made dinner for us (he taught our Mom to cook), and treated us to a lot of Southern-styler cooking. He also introduced us to okra, which my Mom still dislikes.

Dont forget Redeye Gravy! My mom RIP was a less than accomplished cook and sometimes the only edible thing was the gravy thickly spread on white bread.

“ever popular”? urk

Let’s not forget peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Or peanut butter and dill pickle spear sandwiches. Yummm.

Fried okra, black eyed peas, vinegar pie.

Chicken and waffles
Chicken and biscuits
Biscuits and gravy (hell, gravy is a beverage in my family)
Chicken and dumplings
Fried chicken
Maryland fried chicken (fried in the oven)
Chicken fried steak (having it tonight)