Favourite original song from a TV comedy

It’s not uncommon for TV comedies to have song parodies or musical jokes, but once in a while I hear a genuinely catchy (and funny) tune on a TV show. Here’s a few of my favourites:

Boobs in California by Gordy! Gordi! Gordé! (from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)
Poor Titus: forced to sing about the things that revolt him the most, like Smashmouth, Mustangs, Daisy Dukes and the titular boobs. The result is very catchy, though.

Let’s Go to the Mall by Robin Sparkles (from How I Met Your Mother)
I’m not really a fan of How I Met Your Mother, but I grew up in the age of Benetton shirts, Gretzky hair, and Brian Mulroney so there’s a lot of nostalgia for me. Fun fact: Of course I knew that rhyming “coat” and “about” was a joke about how (some) Canadians talk, but it took me a long time to realise that rhyming “Tori” and “sorry” was also a Canadian accent joke.

My Lovely Horse by Fr. Ted Crilly and Fr. Dougal McGuire (from Father Ted)
Just thinking about that psychedelic horse’s head jumping out of nowhere in the video can make me laugh at the most inopportune times.

Honourable mention:
I Hate the Bloody Queen by The Queen Haters (from SCTV)
Whenever I think of punk music, this song is the archetype I have in mind. I’m not sure it counts as an original song since it’s clearly “inspired” by the Sex Pistols’ “God Save the Queen”.

Any other good TV comedy songs out there?

In season 5 of Archer, Cheryl started a career as a country singer, using the name Cherlene. While the absolute best song she did was a cover (duetting with Kenny Loggins on Danger Zone, which I think is better than the original), several original songs, all pretty solid, were used throughout the season - I’ll Burn It Down is probably the most memorable, and Gypsy Woman is IMO the best as a song in and of itself, when divorced from the show.

Countdown to reference of the Dick Van Dyke Show’s Bupkis - see 2:30 into this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zZ5hO7V5k

Bupkis is a lot of nothin’ and that’s what I get from you - Bupkis!

A theme song probably doesn’t count in your criteria so I can’t mention the theme from The Greatest American Hero, so I’ll just say see my vest! See my vest! Made from real gorilla chest!

Given that 1-2 songs per episode are part of its premise, I guess Crazy Ex Girlfriend doesn’t really qualify but there are loads in that show. 2 that stand out to me are “Let’s Generalize about Men” and “We Tapped that Ass”

“5000 Candles In The Wind” from Parks and Recreation.

The theme to The Big Bang Theory.

The theme from The Detectorists

The theme to Psych and the theme to Hawaii 5 0.

I forgot to mention, the Gilmore Girls theme, but that doesn’t count as an original.

So bad it’s good: Phoebe’s signature song, Smelly Cat, from Friends.

Can I Interest You in Hannukah? from Stephen Colbert’s “A Colbert Christmas”

Another vote for “My Lovely Horse” tho. I just watched that episode again last week!

Another vote for See My Vest!

The Flintstones had some good ones. I think this one where Wilma and Betty work as waitresses is a classic.

Ginger, Maryanne and Mrs. Howell as Honey Bees.

I am stunned that you didn’t name any of the songs from the “Bu-Weet Sings” ad on Saturday Night Live. :smiley:

Lots of choices from Flight of The Conchords. I’ll go with Issues (Think About It).

And of course there’s the greatest song from the world of TV comedies, Tribute.

Bob’s Burgers has tons of great songs (they just put out at 100+ song album) but I think the best is Bad Stuff Happens in the Bathroom

I’m partial to Little Black Curly Hair myself. Recently re-watched this episode and forgot about this song. I about choked I laughed so hard, totally unexpected. (Incidentally, the follow-up line about giving her money, while holding an email sign-up sheet, was also hilarious. On rewatching Friends, I’m appreciating Lisa Kudrow’s Phoebe much more than I did the first go-round.)

Phoebe was my favorite character on the show (and I had a longstanding crush on Lisa Kudrow :smiley: ). Kudrow was on The Late Late Show with James Corden last night, but the other guest was Martin Short, who was predictably a bit manic, and he completely overshadowed Kudrow.

Then there is at least a few of the songs from the Buffy musical episode.

I can bring whole cities to ruin, and still have time to get a soft-shoe in.

“Bedrock Twitch” from the Flintstones

"You Need Me’ by the Honeybees on Gilligan’s Island
“To Be or Not to Be” and “Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be” from Gilligan’s Island

“Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo” from South Park
“Montage” from*** South Park***
“Kyle’s Mom” from South Park

“Oscar Calypso” from*** The Odd Couple*** (“Once there was a man named Oscar. Oscar, Oscar, Oscar!”)
“Happy and Peppy and Bursting With Love” from The Odd Couple