Feds 'black-bagging people' in Portland

Not quite the same thing though, is it.

Your mecurial posting is noted…see. i can do this all day.

Narrator: He could not. he was in fact out of ‘Quicksilver references’.

To be clear, we are not talking about arrests, here. We are talking about kidnapping. Police making an arrest have to follow clear, strict procedures. If they do not follow those procedures, they are not performing a valid arrest. And if it’s not a valid arrest, then it’s the same thing it would be if anyone else grabbed someone, tossed them in a van, and drove away.

The whole Republican “We need to protect the second amendment in order to prevent government tyranny” argument rings a bit hollow when those same second amendment advocates side with the tyrants when the situation finally arises.

It’s their duty to protect an oppressive government if it’s on their side.

The only ones that we have heard from are the ones who were released.

How would we know about the ones who are not?

Until they’re reported missing after someone sees them taken… we won’t. And that’s the scariest part.

Update on that Portland arrest video. Remember when the claim was that those mysterious troops were there to protect Federal buildings?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-attorney-requests-dhs-investigation-after-video-shows-masked-camouflaged-federal-authorities-arresting-protesters-in-portland/ar-BB16Tktl?ocid=msedgntp

Now the claim is that those troops were from US Customs and Border Protection, they are also claiming that they wore patches identifying them as such, and that “CBP agents suspected the individual seen in the video Merkley re-tweeted of “assaults against federal agents or destruction of federal property,” and that they moved the individual to a safer location for questioning after they saw “a large and violent mob move towards” them.”

If you happen to have a concealed carry licence and you are stopped by a number of people using force, fail to identify themselves, wear not name or number badges then that surely is a huge risk for all parties.

We’ve seen the danger of no knock warrants, to me this is very similar and runs the same risks - there is one difference, the lack of a warrant means lack of judicial oversight.

It’s all loud mouthed bullshit. The only thing they’ve every proven themselves capable of is barricading themselves in a corner while pissing and shitting themselves waiting for LEO negotiators to arrive.

They don’t know which?

There will be debate even among lawyers, but my understanding is as follows:

1. They can work undercover, but they probably have to identify themselves at the time they are apprehending a suspect. Otherwise, resisting arrest or battery of an officer would be invalid charges, as the person being apprehended would reasonably be fending off an abduction. But being in unmarked vehicles and being in street clothes is fine.

2. I would think they’d need at least some form of identification for the same reason as number one. Why else would someone comply with an officer if there is nothing that identifies him as such?

3. IIRC, failure to read Miranda rights isn’t quite as ironclad a requirement as it used to be. In any case, though, it’s true that officers are advised to make detainees aware that they’ve been stopped and are being detained in relation to a suspected crime and that they should understand that they have legal rights to comply with questioning or not.

4. As I understand it, temporary detentions may be permitted insofar as they serve a law enforcement purpose. I forgot when and what the exact circumstances were, but a few years ago, there was an incident in which a person had committed a violent crime (a bank robbery or car jacking - something like that) and officers locked down an entire zone that included several city blocks. They stopped people in cars and temporarily detained something like 50-75 people. They weren’t necessarily taken to jail, but they were detained until the officers could determine whether or not they were suspects. They were eventually released.

Thank you Asahi.

Protestor gets shot in the face for protesting.

One video shows the protester holding a speaker while standing across the street from the courthouse between two parked cars. Police, who appear to be federal officers, throw a canister that lands at his feet, which he lightly tosses away from him and toward the officers. It lands partway across the street.

A few seconds later, a firing sound can be heard, and the man collapses to the ground, dropping the speaker. The video shows no sign of aggressive provocation on the part of the protester, who appeared to be standing alone.

His mother said his face and skull were fractured and that he finished facial reconstructive surgery early Sunday morning.

“He still has a tube in his skull to drain the blood,” Desiree La Bella, Donavan’s mother, told The Oregonian/OregonLive. She added that he needs neurological checks every hour and is showing signs of confusion. He also has had an MRI for vision problems in his left eye.

You’re welcome.

Meant to add, the real concern about these detentions is whether or not there was actual probable cause to detain or whether they were just motivated to harass protestors, which is unconstitutional. An addition, potentially greater concern, is that of jurisdiction. On what grounds do federal officers make arrests that would be typically left to the discretion of Portland police?

Local police departments can ask federal authorities to assist in local law enforcement actions and they often do this, particularly in cases of suspected abductions, for which there may be relevent federal statutes on the books. However, people roaming the streets and behaving badly, whether it’s protesting the death of a black man or simply pissed that the Blazers or Ducks lost a game, doesn’t typically involve federal law enforcement. That’s the real concern, as I see it.

Trump is doing what I was afraid he eventually would, and just as I thought, he’s doing it with the blessing of republican leadership who don’t give a rat’s ass whether democracy survives or not. What the articles covering the events in Portland haven’t mentioned much is how an increasing number of federal police agencies are being run not by civil servants but by politically-connected hacks who are serving in senior roles as “acting” secretaries and “acting” deputies.

People have been dismissing me for a good 4 years as a “chicken little,” but this is what I feared. People assumed that Trump was too stupid to be a strongman, assuming that all strongmen are wily. The truth is, many times, authoritarians are not that wise at all; they’re impulsive and they frequently fuck things up (like a pandemic response). But they have an insatiable appetite for power, and chances are, they got to where they are by having predatory social instincts. They know how to con, lie, cheat, weasel, and bully their enemies into submission, and that’s what we’re seeing now. And even if Trump himself didn’t know which levers of power to pull, people around him with their own ambitions certainly do, and it was just a matter of time before he and they figured out which switches to trip.

So, here we are.

Another possible area of illegality is that, if these are indeed agents of Customs and Border Protection, they are operating outside the 100 -mile limit from the border that apparently is allowed by statute.

Cite: Camouflaged federal agents have descended on Portland. Trump's DHS is out of control | Trevor Timm | The Guardian

“Portland is almost 400 miles from the Canadian border and 80 miles from the Pacific ocean, by the way. It’s unclear what legal authority, if any, allows CBP to be terrorizing the streets to hunt down graffiti artists—even if they think they can operate anywhere that’s 100 miles from a border.”

That’s a good article and it explained a lot. I find on the same site an even more apt article directly on the Portland situation.

The article implies that whatever’s going on, it does not comply with Oregon law.

Isn’t the Pacific Ocean a border?

Yes. Every city with 100 miles of a coast is in the CBP free-for-all zone. I have heard it even suggested that international airports may represent part of the border.

what illegal order is that?

Obviously this is a bad political ploy by trump & barr - those guys arent wanted or needed. They are violating rights, but no doubt the ACLU will settle their hash on that.

But altho their being there is immoral and unethical, I cant see where they are being given "illegal orders’, as per the “crimes against humanity” clauses of the Hague.