Female mascots?

In case there’s still life in this old girl, I’m moving this thread to the Game Room. The mods there may want to close it, but I’ll let them make the call.

Wow, I knew that it was unusual, but I didn’t think it that rare, but my high school had two different mascots for the boys and girls.
Bucks = Boys
Gazelles = Girls

Granted everything was always “Home of the Bucks & Gazelles”, etc. but at least both teams had separate identities and signs etc. My favorite mascot that I encountered as being the pinacle of sexism (rather than just dumb like Lady Cavemen) was Pierre High School Governors and, wait for it… Lady Governors (Lady Govs, for short). That always seemed a fantastic implementation of that glass ceiling.

For the 1988 winter olympics in Calgary, they had 2 mascots Hidy and Howdy, the welcome bears.

:dubious: Sounds like most of them are, actually…

And, it looks like Athena is the mascott at Claremont-McKenna, Harvey Mudd and Scripps Colleges (my mother’s alma mater).

And the University of Maine at Farmington has The Beaver.

what?

University of Delaware’s Blue Hen.

The University of Arizona has a male and a female mascot named Wilbur and Wilma Wildcat. They’re even “married” to each other.

Since this was posted, the school has begun admitting men, and is now known simply as Randolph College. I’m not sure if a male mascot has been added.

Apparently Wanda is still Randolph College’s lone mascot. The linked page also contains some info on “Indiana”, the Sweet Briar Vixen, and mentions Lynchburg College’s Elsie the Hornet. Elsie does not appear to be specifically male or female, and the name derives from “LC”, the college’s initials.

I wonder if the “Mud Hens” of the Toledo Mud Hens minor league baseball team, are all females, but apparently not: Link

Texas Tech’s situation is likewise a little fuzzy. Officially, it’s the “Texas Tech Red Raiders”, and Raider Red is the character on the sidelines. But from 1925 to 1936, the mascot was the “Matadors”, and the official name of the band was “The Matador Band”. The Goin’ Band from Raiderland still wears the matador uniforms today, and there’s a strong thread of “Matador” still present at Tech games.

Anyway, one alternate mascot, Tech’s oldest in fact, is the Masked Rider, a caped and masked person riding a black horse. The Masked Rider leads the team onto the field before all Tech home games by charging across the turf at full speed, guns up. And almost overwhelmingly in recent years, the Masked Rider has been female.

I don’t know if this counts as female but Hickman High School has the Kewpie doll as a mascot.

Not a school but the minor league Rochester Red Wings have Mittsy.

• Wolf whistle *