Fewer days, more rants (February Mini-Rants)

Damnit, for the second time I forgot to reload the Wordle thread to be sure I wasn’t flagging a post for non-spoilered information when it actually was spoilered.

Quoting myself for context:

The actual workday went flawlessly. Then things went down the drain again.

The flight I rode home on landed early. So I might make the next-to-last train. But there was a wait for the gate, then delay opening the door. I was sitting near the front and had high hopes I could make it, but by the time I stepped onto the jetbridge it was hopeless. Oh well.

So, do I wait two hours for the final train of the night, or uber for $100 with a tip? Crap! I hate wasting either time or money.

Pick uber & the driver will be here in 5 minutes. Except 10 minutes later the app shows his vehicle stopped at the curb about 500 feet upstream of me. Then suddenly he’s not my driver and uber is searching again for somebody to take me home.

A couple minutes later they find somebody nearby and 10 minutes later we’re underway.

At least the traffic this way tonight was merely slow, not stop and go.

An hour and $100 later I’m home. Rant! $175 to get to/from work today.

At least the drinks are cold and the woman is hot here at home.

There’s a Wordle thread?

Link, pretty please.

It’s pretty new. It’s only a bit over a year old and doesn’t even have 10,000 posts yet.

I hear you. My daughter FaceTimed me yesterday after a (third) job interview in Manhattan. She didn’t have much appetite for a 15-minute walk in the rain to the subway station, so she decided to splurge on a Cabshare back to Brooklyn. She waited at least that long for a driver - ANY driver to accept the gig before they cancelled her request. So she decided to walk toward the station and try to flag a cabbie willing to go there. Took her two tries.

Jeez, I hope the OT day didn’t end up costing you money.

Okay, so the mild cold is covid (fever and cough did arrive). Not too bad so far, and the rant is about the magical thinking that had half-convinced me that because I hadn’t had it yet, I wasn’t going to, despite the fact that I absolutely do know better.

My brain just likes magical thinking better than statistics and science. Fine for fiction, but not so much for real-world planning.

At this point if I have any respiratory symptoms more than what I normally get from allergies, I’m taking a Covid test. And if it’s negative but they get worse I’ll take another test.

Last year, once I was feeling a bit under the weather so I took my usual negative Covid test in the morning, it was negative. The the evening I was feeling downright awful and so I thought, I know my test was negative but this is really bad so I am going to take one again just in case. Positive. And then it got really bad, not hospital bad but like a really bad head/chest cold with flu symptoms, I wasn’t much better for a week.

Last August, DH and I developed symptoms right around the same time (I’m vaccinated/boosted, he isn’t). He tested positive day 1. I had negative tests days 1-3, skipped day 4, tested positive day 5 (the day I woke up feeling worst), symptomatic the whole time. Took both of us a week to feel reasonably well again.

That night when you realize that there is Just One More kitchen bag o garbage to go out to the cans at the curb. And you remember 10 steps out of the back door that it’s 5F out.

But you say to yourself, “Hey, muscles generate heat, right? Just tough it out…”

Ever consider a parachute?

Speaking as an occasional airline passenger, I would not be reassured by a parachute-wearing pilot telling me as they approached the airplane door, “No, no, everything’s fine with the plane. That’s my house down there and I’m trying to save on Uber fees.”

Wait… as a passenger I would definitely be willing to pony up some cash to help pay the Uber and keep the pilot on the plane. LSLGuy might actually come out ahead on this deal. Sorry for doubting you, kayaker.

On one of the common arrival paths to my base airport we go almost over my house. At that time we’re about 2 miles straight up and about 1 mile offset laterally. From there it takes ~10 minutes to get to touchdown. Then 90-120 minutes from touchdown to park the jet, deboard the people, walk to the van to the parking lot, ride to the lot, find my car, then drive home.

I’ve often wished for a shortcut while waving at my wife as I go by. Maybe on my last flight before retirement I can use @kayaker’s shortcut. :slight_smile: OTOH, whichever flight I try that on, it will become my retirement flight.

RANT! My car has these nifty covers over the lug nuts on the wheels, secured with a set screw. While out today, I noticed that the one on the left front wheel was missing. This was the very wheel that they had to take off in order to replace the battery the other day, so I flew back to the auto place in a rage to demand that they look for it.

Yes, they’re open on Sunday. And furthermore, by coincidence the same guy who replaced the battery was working today. He swore he put the cover back on, and looking more closely, he pointed out that the set screw was in place, with bits of broken stuff around it. It then occurred to me that I had examined the car all over after it came back, as I always do in my paranoia, and would definitely have noticed the missing cover immediately.

So now I not only have a missing lug nut cover, but also the shame of having accused this nice guy of having forgotten to put it back on.

Still, I can’t imagine what could have happened to it, and it’s a really odd coincidence that it happened a few days after that wheel had been tinkered with.

Now my options are to try to buy a replacement, which will probably cost some extortionate amount about equal to the cost of a new wheel, or just recite the name of that well-known Thai city, Phuket (yes, I know it’s not really pronounced that way, but it should be.)

I don’t think it was a coincidence. Even if the mechanic had secured it properly after putting it back on, it’s possible that it was on the verge of breaking, and the stress of being taken off and put back on was the final straw. In all likelihood, it might not have come off yet if you hadn’t gotten serviced, but it was probably close to coming off soon anyway. It could be that it was barely hanging on after it was removed and replaced this last time, and just the act of driving your vehicle home was enough to make it break off.

I bought lug nut covers from Amazon years ago for my last car, and they weren’t expensive at all. I wouldn’t try to replace the one (because they don’t sell individually from what I’ve seen and chances are you won’t find anything completely identical to what you have), I’d just try to find a whole new set for all of the lug nuts and see what options there are. With Amazon, if you aren’t picky about how they look (as in, just plain black plastic is fine) you can get 20 of them for $8. (Assuming there are 5 of less per wheel.) If you need more or want fancier ones (chrome seems popular) then you might be looking at $20-$50 for a set.

And who knows, if one lug nut was lost via wear and tear, more might soon follow.

Having diarrhea is awful. Throwing up at the same time is even worse. That is my mini rant.

Can confirm. I’ll spare you all the details.

Another minirant - I need to take my daughter to the lab in her doctor’s office’s network for a blood draw to check her iron. I cannot for the life of me figure our their website so I can find a lab that is open on Saturdays. I can find a listing of every practice they have though. So, I guess that’s something. I’m going to have to message the office, aren’t I?

Once I was on a ship in Lake Michigan during a storm. The stalls in the bathroom were just big enough to cover the toilet. I went in to see the knees of a guy sitting on the toilet. I guess the storm got to him because he had to quickly turn around to throw up, leaving his ass hanging out of the stall. He was forever after known as “Knees and Cheeks”.

And for the mini-est of rants: The only pens we have at the office are gel pens. I want ballpoint!

I agree, it’s even worse when all that’s coming out either end is blood.

Food poisoning isn’t a joke.

The evolution of a youTube channel:

1. Starts out as amusing and informative voiceover of some science stuff / game / clips.
  2. And now a word from our sponsor, Brilliant Nord AG1: Shadow legends.
  3. Now it’s not voiceover; the presenter feels the need to be in the videos themselves.
  4. Merch is added
  5. Channel ruined as the prima donna presenter now feels the need to mug to the camera and do self-indulgent monologues for every few seconds of whatever it is they are supposed to be commenting on.

(Of course I am excepting Map men from this rant, as they do all these things but are genuinely funny. Even their ads are funny. I’m pitting the rest of the internet.)

Back in December, I went off Concerta (for ADHD). My psychiatrist put me on guanfacine instead. The new drug works well for ADHD. But, I was having problems staying conscious for more than 9-10 hours a day. We’ve tried manipulating my other meds. I was waking up multiple times an hour at night and sleeping all day. We tried moving my Paxil (anti depressant/anti anxiety) from breakfast to bedtime. For a little while, it seemed like everything had worked out and I could get off unpaid medical leave and back to work. I’m now having sexual side effects. I am very frustrated and angry.