Finding affordable sterilization procedures?

My daughter lives in a fairly “blue” state, so her access to terminating a pregnancy is still safe (though she’s taken to referring to the US as the Republic of Gilead).

She has never been pregnant. I’m not sure she’s ever had a chance to get pregnant. But she is 100% certain she does not ever wish to reproduce.

Given her situation, and family history, and the state of the country and the planet, I am absolutely in agreement with her.

Does Planned Parenthood offer this? Would insurance pay for it? (She has some sound medical arguments as to why a pregnancy, and parenthood in general, would be a bad idea).

I’m not aware of any Planned Parenthood doing tubal ligations, but some affiliates do perform vasectomies. The procedure is invasive and does require regional or general anesthesia, although most women go home in a few hours.

This is a decision that she needs to make with her gynecologist, and yes, insurance usually pays for it.

I wonder if she’ll have any difficulty finding a doctor willing to sterilize her before she has children? After all, she is just a woman and might change her mind later.

A friend of mine was surgically sterilized when she was 24. She went to her gynecologist and said she wanted to get her tubes tied. He told her he wasn’t comfortable doing it due to her age, blah, blah, blah. She then explained in a calm voice that she never liked children, was uncomfortable being around them, and if she ever got pregnant she would hide the pregnancy, give birth in her home, and bury the baby alive in her back yard.

He had her sign a pile of documents, but did the surgery.

That’s definitely a concern. She’s 25 - and “might change her mind”. Except, I’d be more than happy to jump in and tell the doctor, rather bluntly, about why I would support such a procedure. Mental illness, family history of special needs, would someone who can barely keep herself going be able to parent ANY kid let alone someone with special needs, etc. Also, she’s flat out said to me that if she were forced to carry an unplanned child to term, she would terminate herself.

I’ll remind her to check with her primary care doc (not sure she has a gyn right now, but her town has a large medical center so she could find someone). And I’ll suggest she contact PP for info, as well - even if they don’t do the procedure themselves, they may well know of doctors who would be amenable.

And what about if she gets married. Her husband might want children.

I heard it all before I was able to get my tubes tied when I was 19 in the late 70’s. I was in the military, I had a IUD but got pregnant anyhow so had D&C. Nobody said the A word. Afterwards my female, black doctor asked what I wanted to do about birth control, I said I wanted a tubal and she scheduled it for a couple of weeks later. I think that the challenges and constant denials she heard as she was going through medical school as a black female made a big difference in her attitude about women’s control over their own bodies.

I don’t think that my friend who was in that position thought to explain it that way. She never managed to convince a doctor that she knew her own mind; but eventually – IIRC in her late 30’s – she got a uterine infection so bad that she had to have a hysterectomy. That’s obviously not a technique I’d recommend; but I bet you’ve never seen somebody so happy to have a hysterectomy in your life.

That, however, was probably over 30 years ago by now. I really hope that things have changed.

Men aren’tcompletelyimmune from that sentiment. A friend of mine had to shop around for a doctor willing to perform a vasectomy for the same reason. When he found one he still had to wait until he was 26. He and hiswife through a big party afterwards.

Weird, since vasectomies can be reversed.

she is just a [hysterical] woman and might change her mind later. pun intended

I was able to get a doctor to do a tubal ligation even tho I was only 27 and had no children both of which were against their “rules”. I pointed out to him that having no children was the very condition I was trying to maintain! After persisting for six months he finally agreed. I called my insurance company to see if they covered it and they said they didn’t know but would look into it. I pointed out that they would never have to pay for a host of other costs like childbirth and eventually they did pay. This was almost 50 years ago. I hope that part has changed in the years since. I do remember having to sign about 20 pieces of paper saying that I understood I would not be able to have children after the procedure. Duh.

Tubal ligations can too - it’s actually easier to reverse, and if that doesn’t work, IVF can be performed. Both procedures are, however, performed with the intent of them being PERMANENT.

However, some GYNs nowadays are REMOVING the Fallopian tubes; it doesn’t take much longer, it eliminates any chance of the procedure reversing itself, and it also eliminates any chance of developing Fallopian tube cancer, a disease that is quite rare but is almost always a death sentence.

@MamaZappa did say that her daughter has some medical indications why pregnancy would be a bad idea, and doctors are usually amenable to it as long as the woman is not being coerced.

I started a thread about this a while back, although I didn’t realize it was that long ago.

Hell I know someone who was refused hormonal birth control because she wasn’t married and the (male) physician “wasn’t comfortable”. It was for cramps and such that had been treated with a patch since she was a teenager.
She dumped him and got as prescription at Planet Parenthood.
ETA this was in New England.

Theoretically, but mostly not. Reversing a vasectomy is a complex procedure and often fails. When I had my vasectomy the doctor made sure I understood that it was, for all intents and purposes, permanent.

Times are a-changing… Moon Unit was first put on birth control pills at about age 16 - by the dermatologist, an older male doctor (he did so with the understanding that she would follow up with a gyn, of course). This was for pretty severe acne, and it did help. She’s still on it, for that reason and because she has mental health issues, and anything that can stabilize her hormones is a good thing.

Interesting to hear about the tubes being actually removed.

If she does go forward with this, I’ll likely drive up to help take her to / from etc., as she lives 500 miles away and has nobody she can call on for help.

I totally understand what you meant but I think your autocorrect has let you down.

Unless you actually went to some strange women’s-health-clinic/pizza-parlor hybrid institution.

Unless things have changed radically or PP has different services in different states, PP doesn’t do tubal ligations but does do Essure, which has some issues.

I did find a list of OB/GYNs by state who do tubals without being overly opinionated about marital status or how many kids a woman has had, seems like a decent jumping off point.

Essure is no longer being used in the United States.

Sure, doctors make sure patients know it’s considered a permanent procedure, but these days, reversal is usually successful. Men who had a vasectomy less than 10 years ago have a 95% success rate. The success rate for achieving pregnancy is 30-90%, depending on a number of factors, including maternal age, type of vasectomy procedure, and the length of time since the vasectomy.

Source.