Finish the Sci-Fi Story IV: The Next Generation

The communique from Adm. Innison contained just four words: “Watch for limp clocks.”

Meanwhile, Dr. Fujisawa had landed a new case. An apparent suicide had turned up in Bowamune, a village on Dona Salo known for its Renallian population. The body was found in the apartment of one sKova’sla and was later identified as s’Kova himself. His last act must have to stab himself in the brain because a ceremonial knife was sticking out of his abdomen.

The Panil who met with s’Kova in Sana Gien mentioned limp clocks in his inquiry. It was then that sKova figured out what wasn’t setting right with him: the remnants of TALON were being too quiet. Something big must have been on the horizon and there was no way for him to report it. When their conversation was over, sKova returned to the facilities; while on the way there he made eye contact with the bartender and gave a slight nod. The bartender smiled in return.

Nobody saw sKova alive after that but while Dr. Fujisawa was examining his body, the staff of the Daestral embassy on Victory Station increased by one.

Victory Station was not well known for its amenities. Guests, in the truest sense of the word, were a rarity there. So it was with no little surprise that Brigid watched the commotion around her when she was dismissed to find accommodation.

She had figured on bunking in one of the worker’s compounds, but Station Management had sent a representative to meet her just outside the Captain’s office.

“Eh heh, Miss Brigid, huewmanh miss?” fawned the ugly little creature, licking the backs of its long fingers. Once again, Brigid realized she was confronted with a species she didn’t recognize.

Trying to hide her revulsion at the creature’s odor and manner, she took a good look at it. One of the few non-bipedal life forms she had yet seen in her travels, this Station Rep looked a centaur on top of a giant slug. The face was far too human looking for this body and she decided it was that juxtaposition that had unnerved her at first.

“Yes,” she answered, “I am Brigid. Who are you?”

“My name? Well, we all must have something on which to fall back, mustn’t we?” As he said this, he handed her an Ident package. Something in his manner, though, told her it was more than merely a room assignment.

Brigid had been promised quarters with low-grav, and at least the Ident package got her that. Because few others needed such accomodation, her tiny two room suite would also be private, for which she was greatful. The grav-field cycled as low as .33 STG, “heavier” than on Gehenna but still comfortable. There was even an at-all-times water shower stall, and she almost groaned in delight, being fussy about personal hygiene.

Keying her own code into the comm unit Brigid was surprised to find she had a message waiting from Eleazar Fujisawa. She was further startled to see that it’s point of origin was planetside, on Dona Salo. “What the frell?” she wondered. El hadn’t said anything about him leaving the 'roid, when she’d taken the shuttle almost four days ago. Reading the message about his own xenobiological expertise being needed, Brigid figured it must have been very valuable indeed, valuable enough to warrant transport twice as fast as hers had been.

I’m like a bad credit, I always turn up” he said. “A game before they shuttle me back to Gehenna? We lift to the station, local time about 1800, and I’ll be there for about a day before heading back.” When Brigid made sense out of the local time zones, she realized El would be coming in in about three hours. Time to settle in, rest just a little, them meet him.

Rest, that sounded good, and as soon as possible she was stretched out in the bunk provided, with the grav field cycled all the way down. Whatever else might be in that Ident package the slug had given her could wait.

Ensign John Kaval would have enjoyed traveling in Adm. Innison’s Echo II if he hadn’t been worried about the admiral had told him. VMC Corp.'s Echo series were top-of-the-line ships, incorporating the latest innovationsof their crack R&D department. Kaval had studied schematics of the Echo II, and had even heard that VMC had figured out how to comm through null space, without a courier, but he didn’t want to appear nosy and ask if Adm. Innison’s ship had that capability.

But it was Zora who continued from where they had left off. “Well, we had all devoutly hoped Tali was dead, but after Frankie looked the bug over I think we’ll have to operate assuming he is alive. Sverba can make bugs sit up and beg, and he says this one had characteristics Solomon Tali always included in his stuff, kind of a brash sort of signature, letting us know we were facing* his* work.”

“Sir, to be honest I’m not an expert on the uprising, but from what I read it seemed that Tali was more of an anarchist type, the kind who like chaos, or messing stuff up for it’s own sake. Unless I’ve missed something, why would anyone want him as one of their leaders?”

“Kaval, it can be awfully easy to mislead ‘the masses’. You get folks mad enough, especially when you’ve used your bugs to falsify data or rearrange it, and sometimes they…” Here he paused as his comm signalled.

“Yes?”

“Sir, this is Noble” Noble was Adm. Innison’s pilot, and preferred not to speak his own rank of captain, if it was possible to avoid it. “Capt. Noble and His Space Rangers” was an immensely popular childrens holovid show, seen and heard on many worlds, and Noble would almost rather have passed over his promotion than endure the jokes about his name. The fact he closely resembled the handsome titular character made matters even worse.

“Sir, we are in final approach to Victory Station. ETA to docking is one hour. Only on vessel, a planetary shuttle, ahead of us. She’s…what the frak?” Noble uttered the curse in the same clipped tone he used for all comms, but Adm. Innison knew his pilot well enough to feel alarm.

“Noble, what’s going on?”

“Sir, the alarm net has detected missile fire from Dona Salo!”

“What the hell?”

“I’m raising the shields we have and taking evasive manuvers but…”

“Don’t waste you time talking to us now, I’ll be there directly.” Zora, with John in tow, sped down a narrow corridor to the bridge. They were just in time to see the shuttle, less manuverable and with fewer defenses than the admiral’s Echo II, be silently blown into very small pieces.

In a flat voice Zora said “Limp clocks indeed. Seems like it’s going to get a lot less quiet now.”

The two officers disembarked as quickly as possible so they could get more information on that interplanetary shuttle and where that missile came from. If there really was a missle. Zora made a point of stopping by the memorial plaque to pay his respects.

“Quite a lot of names, aren’t there, Admiral?” asked Kaval.

“Many indeed but only one was a friend.”

“Excuse me,” said a figure as it reached out to give a quick polish to the second column, concentrating on the thrid row.

“Yeah, that one,” Zora said as he turned to see the figure hurrying off. It was wearing the traditional garb of someone who works in a Daestral embassy. Naw, it couldn’t be…

After a few moments, Kaval prompted, “Sir?”

At about the same time that Zora was wondering if the figure from the Daestral embassy could be Minas Sulat, Capt. Sturdivant received notice that there was an incoming message from Sigma Theta–on a secure channel.

“We’re secure?” he asked an aide.

“Yes, sir.”

“On screen then.”

The logo of Alliance Security switched to the logo of the Sigma Theta academy, then the screen jumped. So did Sturdivant, slightly. "Oops, sorry,’ said Frankie as he put his extra arms away. “I just found what this bug is for. Its primary target is anything travel-related.
Travel orders, vacation plans, that sort of thing.”

“It rearranges these?”

“After the fact, yes. Someone could come here from Victory Station but the travel order could show them as visiting Sevastol.”

“So, someone doesn’t want anyone to know where they’ve been.”

Frankie nodded. “Or several someones.”

Minas Sulat, aka sKova’sla, was right but a little late. Something big had already been happening with TALON. Someone in its upper echelons had discovered a way to bring in recruits without anyone knowing, not even the recruits themselves. One of the first targets had been Major Egon Stang, who had since been promoted to Colonel.

Brigid slept through the alarm she had set. But the extra sleep refreshed her more than she though possible. She made her way to the docking area, knowing she would be late, but still hoping to greet Dr. Fujisawa before he had to wait too long.

The activity she saw didn’t seem to be the usual hustle and bustle that accompanied arrivals, even ones as small as a transport shuttle. A lot of people were standing in small clumps, with grim looks, and some were crying. Looking around for someone to ask she found the desk station marked “Arrivals and Departures”.

“Excuse me, but wasn’t there supposed to be a shuttle coming up from Dona Salo at 1800? I’m meeting a friend.”

The clerk muttered an oath under her breath, then took a deep breath and looked Brigid in the eye. “Ma’am, I’m going to give it to you straight. Since you must not have heard, that arrival was blown up just prior to arrival. I’m afraid that all aboard were lost.”

Brigid’s eyes went wide and her face tightened up. Seeing her expression the clerk told her, “Ma’am, we have counselors standing by, or clergy contacts if you prefer, to help you deal with this tragedy.”

“Did you say blown up? On purpose?”

“If you want more information you can contact Security…” Here the clerk was talking to empty air. Brigid had spun around, and was walking as fast as possible for her, looking for a quicker way to Capt Sturdivant’s office.

Brigid didn’t notice the Daestral following her as she looked for a carry cart. Just as she spotted one a dark skinned figure sped out of her peripheral vision and claimed it. Snorting in disgust she started on again.

“It’s a two-seater” . She heard the words and turning her head saw the Daestral in the cart.

"Excuse me, but my nursery supervisor told me never to go with strangers, " she sneered.

“Not even ones who can help you find who was responsible for that shuttle?” he said lightly. Something in the pitch of his voice caught her attention, and she looked at the pale eyes that stood out in a dark face.

“But then, I didn’t always listen to the supervisor,” she said, as she boarded that cart and it trundled off.

As they careened through the passagways, the Daestral kept muttering to itself in a language or dialect that Brigid didn’t recognise.

Trying to make some sort of conversation, and also to qualm her fear of dismemberment by numerous near misses with walls and other carts, she offered, “So, what was your name again?”

“I have not assigned for you to address as of yet,” was the terse reply. The Daestral quickly added, “A rose, by any other name, is still a cheap substitute for an apology.”

What the frell? she thought to herself. “Okay, then, I’ll call you Rose. How’s them apples, hmm?”

The Daestral stopped the cart with a rubbery screeching sound. Leaning close to her, til his face was mere millimeters from hers, he whispered, “The price you pay is the thorns that pierce.”

And then he started the cart up again, once more to drive through the crowded corridors as though they were an insubstantial breeze on the air.

The Daestral pulled a Comm Pad from a side pocket and handed to Brigid, narrowly mising a stalled service trolly.

“Enter our names into the highlighted fields,” he instructed her. “You might find the files it opens for you… interesting.”

“But I don’t know yo…,” she started, then stopped. She input “Rose” and “Brigid” into the highlighted field.

Deep in Non Space, a program opened its eyes. Metaphorically, of course. It didn’t possess physicality. Not yet anyways. Noticing the Names “Rose” and “Brigid,” it opened upa subroutine it had let lat dormant for some years of Real Space time.

“I’m not sure what to make of this” Brigid said, as she looked at the screen. Rose was once more taking the cart through the corridors. Then something else struck her. Victory Station was good sized, but it sure seemed like this cart was taking the long way around, no matter where Rose was going.

“I need to get to the Security offices” she rapped out. “I don’t suppose you could drop me off? And try not to speak in metaphor this time, I’m getting tired of strangers handing me things and talking weird.”

The cart slowed down abruptly. “You mean I am not the first to make contact with you?”

Something about how Rose asked the question told Brigid the Daestral wasn’t being merely nosy, so she decided to respond.

“Well, that sluggy thing acted rather odd when I got my Ident package. But I’d never met on like him, so maybe it was natural.”

The string of words the Daestral started spitting sounded like cursing, although Brigid didn’t know the language. He finished up with “Soul-eating, crap-wallowing Plygons, always jumping the gun, he wasn’t supposed to…” The cart changed course. “I’d hoped to have longer to talk to you now, after seeing you arrive, but look, I’m going to take you to Security. Turn that Comm Pad off for now, the files will wait.”

“What frackin’ files? All *I’m * here to do is a job, and before I can I have all this crap happening, my friend dying, people speaking in riddles, and no frelling straight answers!” Here Brigid’s voice rose to a shout. "For starters, what’s your real name, and why would you watch me arrive on the station?

The cart had arrived in front of the Security offices and her voice was attracting attention as she got out of the vehicle. “It wasn’t on your station arrival” he hissed hurriedly, “it was right here when you reported to Sturdivant. I was undercover. * Please*, let me call you later. And check out the files when you are alone.”

It was after he had left that Brigid realized she hadn’t got a name after all. “Slick bastard” she muttered. She thought about throwing the pad out, but for some perverse reason kept it.

Reporting to Sturdivant what she knew about a key passenger on the shuttle didn’t take Brigid long. But she did arrange to report to her new job early the next working day, in about twelve standard hours.

After returning to her quarters Brigid was unable to sleep again so soonso she retrieved the Comm Pad and decided to have another look. What she had seen before seemed to be nothing more than a silly game, but after watching it for a moment the game figures dissapeard from the screen, and a multitude of file indices took their place. There seemed to be a huge amount of data involved. Choosing one at random, “Arrivals, local”, Brigid tapped it open and two columns of figures lit up. One column was headed “official” and the other “actual”. Some discrepancies seemed to be when when vessels arriving on Victory Station or panetside on Dona Salo were off merely by some amount of time. But other times were highlighted, and these involved when Ship A, for example, did not arrive, but Ship B showed up in it’s slot. As she called up other files. Brigid began to be a little excited. This Comm Pad seemed to contain the kind of data she’d be working with in her job. It was almost like getting exam answers ahead of time, not that she’d ever tried to do such a thing in school. But was it accurate?

Brigid started taking notes in her own hand, for comparison with official station data, breaking off when the Pad began to beep a signal of “Incoming” Warily she opened it up and saw “Rose” looking out at her.

“Attention on deck!” shouted a noncom as Adm. Innison and Ensign Kaval strode into the security offices. A dozen or so enlistees and junior officers in the room snapped to attention.

“At ease, at ease,” said the Admiral. “Is the Captain in?”

“Sir! Yes, sir!”

“Well, son, show us in!”

“Aye aye, sir!”

Capt. Sturdivant was at his desk, poring over a datatablet. He didn’t seem to take notice of his guests until he heard an “ahem”. Study saluted toward the sound but didn’t look up. “Data on that shuttle explosion. Excuse me if I don’t stand.”

“Quite all right,” said Zora, as he took a seat.

Sturdy motioned for Kaval to do the same. “We have…,” started Sturdy but trailed off when he finally took notice of Zora. “Frell, you look like you’ve seen a ghost!”

“I’m not sure I haven’t but that can wait. You were about to say?”

“Right. We tracked the missile launch back to an area called ‘Pashovistan’.”

“‘Despiration’?” asked Kaval, using the Common name for that region of Dona Salo. “I thouth that area was uninhabitable.”

“It is, at least for the usual sentients around here.” Sturdy handed a tablet over to his guests. “This is a list of all the sent species that recently travelled to planetside and are capable of withstanding Despiration without a hazard suit.”

Meanwhile, in a shielded cavern under Despiration, a certain Panil was interrogating his charge, who was protesting his untimely “demise”.

“Couldn’t this have waited until I was leaving the station?”

The Xavvian was standing in the chamber staring glassily ahead. Suddenly he wavered and then his bowels collapsed onto the floor a moment before he collapsed himself under his backpack and headgear.

Emeril Legasby, BS, MS, PhD, EdD, lately SKI professor emeritus, ran toward him and slipped on the excrement. He groaned, feeling his back and waved frantically, yelling, “Hurry! Help get him onto the table!” His voiced echoed in the vaulted chamber hidden under Desperation and made any other conversation moot. He began trying to lift the Xavvian but the frail muscles of an 80 year old academic were just not up to the task. The Panil and his charge went to help. They recoiled from the burning fur around the scalp but managed to wrench off the gear. They hurriedly placed the body on the table. Emeril immediately hooked up his diagnostic equipment and began mumbling to himself as he completely forgot about the two men.

“You teleported me before this works yet? Are you insane?” and the Panil’s answer was as pragmatic as ever - “It works, but only once, as yet.” It was very unsatisfiying to stare daggers into an eyeless Panil, so after a moment he gave up and they both exited the chamber and the stench of the dead Xavvian.

Emeril was satisfied that he had extended the life of his control unit by 230%, but that still meant only 4 minutes of operation. He turned to the body on the table and gave a big sigh. Then he rolled the stretcher over to the wall. Throwing the handle, one set of stretcher legs collapsed and the body slid off, through the trap door, and down to the furnace. He walked over and opened the vault door and entered. He walked down the third aisle to the next occupied tube and started to hook up some sensors to the next Xavvian.

Away from the stench, the Panil headed for a conference room. “Our efforts securing crystals for the professor’s work has come to fruition.”

He activated a viewer and the wall screen started to play a scratchy helmet vid. “Here’s the main line of crystals I’ve been excavating” said the miner. Here the helmet panned over cave walls and hit upon a shiny line of crystals marching off into a crevice. “And here is the new line you wanted to see.” The video panned over a rock outcropping and hit another large vein snaking through the rocks. Into view, the gloved hand brought up a crude miner’s scanner and you could make out the display as he cycled between different settings. “Just let me know which one you want to follow.”

The Panil said, “This is one of our asteroid miners. In a moment…” His charge interrupted, “Why isn’t he using one of our scanners? He’d be able to follow the best veins without having to ask any questions.” The Panil turned and seemed to look at him, an affectation he’d learned stopped most people when an interruption was warranted. “Miner’s are a suspicious breed. Independent and wary of anything not their own. Their simple scanners are ones they can easily verify have no tracking, communication, or mapping devices built in. They guard their digs quite jealously. They take circuitous flight paths to avoid visual detection, much less any device that might allow someone to jump their claim.”

The Panil had paused the video during the interruption and now started it again. “Observe this.” The previous segment ended in static and then another started up. Heavier breathing punctuated this video. “I just - crawled back up - from a cavern you - have got to see.” He moved along the wall edge and paused, “But, I expect - double payment - for anything from here.” Movement continued and suddenly the view widened into darkness and panned right. A huge blanket of crystals lit up as the helmet beams hit them. The miners scanner came into view and the display showed much more activity. “That’s all you get to see for now.” And the video ended.

The Panil said, “The readings indicate a wide range of some highly refined crystals. What is most interesting though is this.” He pulled up a black image with a small outcropping of rock at the edge. “As the miner entered, he did not realize his vid had enough resolution. Enhancing the image we found this.” The edge of rock blurred into whiteness as the black was enhanced. At the other edge was definitely a segment of wall and part of a design. “That,” said the Panil, “is a Talinisk Seal.”

“Hmmm,” said Adm. Innison, “I didn’t think there were that many types, let’s see,(he muttered, counting, under his breath), six that could withstand that sort of radiation. Braxians, Luthorians, the Panil, the Conits, Norellians, and Caffites.”

Sturdivant nodded unhappily. “It makes looking for a fall guy that much harder. Well, maybe not the Caffites, they barely make the Worthington-Sent scale, but we cant afford to overlook any possibility. But running checks on all those will be a frakkin’ mess, and I don’t have all the staff I need to do it as fast as we need it done.”

Ensign Kaval had sat silently, without interruption. Now he cleared his throat, a junior bidding for attention from his superiors. He got it.

“Sirs, maybe the numbers is what whoever is behind this is counting on. I mean, with larger numbers of arrivals and departures, plus with the parasite to screw with the data, our ‘culprit’ may feel that their particular presence, or absence, may have not been noted. If we profile for those that have made the trip most often, and corelate that with extra details, like health history, species appearance…”

“Species appearace?” asked a surprised Capt. Sturdivant, “What would that matter?”

“Sir, there’s an old saying that ‘all foreigners look alike’. But some species really do seem to have less in the way of distinguishing characteristics than others. So we might not as easily be able to tell one from another.”

“I think you’ve got something there Kaval”, said Zora. “hate to admit this, but I’ve often thought of Conits as “giant amoebas” To me they look like gelatin in a bag. And the Panits, without eyes, I can hardly tell one from another.” He turned to Sturdivant. “Ensign Kaval here would be a good choice to assist in combing through the data, it seems, now you just need to come up with one or two more staff.”

The captain slapped himself on the head in annoyance. “Frell, I guess being this tired has made me stupid, I already have someone like that. She’s just started though, so I don’t know how far she’s got with…”

At the blank looks of the other two he stopped and explained about Brigid, then put in a call ordering her to report to his office.

“Have you started on the ‘game’ yet?” Rose asked Brigid, out of the Comm Pad.

She was worked up enough over what she’d seen not to be too annoyed over their earlier contact. “This stuff is amazing! How did you get it? You’ve done a lot of my job for me it seems.”

“I have had many methods. For example, don’t ever talk next to a crystal plant around here, if you want to keep a secret. But I’m on your side, I want you to be a success because I don’t want to come out myself just yet.” His head turned in the viewer, then faced her again. “You may be getting a call soon, I’m going to sign off here.”

“Wait!..” Brigid said, but ‘Rose’ was gone.

In the previous post read “And the Panils, without eyes” in Zora’s statement, not Panits.

I need to get out of here Dr. Fujisawa thought to himself as he started to wander off.

“Hey, where you goin’?” demanded another Panil.

“I am in great need of a stiff drink.”

The Panil attempted to determine if the doctor was lying or not. It appeared to him to be the latter. “Sure, okay. Head out that way, turn left, and you’ll find what passes for a bar down here.”

Eleazar followed the directions and found himself in a hollowed out area that contained what appeared to be a Japanese tea house. Upon closer inspection, it turned out that the decor adjusted itself for each customer. Not bad for a underground base. I wonder what it does for beings with no eyes. Then he sat down and turned his attention to the waitstaff. They were about 1½ meters tall and bore a passing resemblance to Terran rabbits. They most certainly did not match the decor, save for their manner of dress. I wonder… thought the doctor as he reached out to squeeze the bottom of one of the females. Her tail stiffened in response, then relaxed. Just as I thought. Love bunnies! The waitress that he had contacted had returned with a drink. He didn’t even realize she had scurried off. “What’s this? I didn’t order anything.”

She smiled and patted her rump. “Yes, you did.” Eleazar thought for a second then returned the smile. What he did was a non-standard but acceptable way of ordinging a Love Potion 6♥. Only this one had something extra in it. Eleazar drank up…then disappeared.

Dr. Eleazar Fujisawa didn’t exactly disappear but rather he faded away, with a very confused look on his face. He didn’t say anything though, because his waitress had put a finger up to her lips in the classic “Sh!” pose. After glancing around the establishment, she made a little neck twitch–a motion that Eleazar understood as “follow me.” He stood up, was led through a beaded curtain, down a hall of doors, and into one of the back rooms, where the Marche motioned for him to sit in a chair. She too a spot on the bed and said, “It’s safe, we can talk here.”

A depression formed on the chair’s padding as Eleazar sat in it, somewhat relieved that he wasn’t aksed to sit on the bed. “Who are you? What’s going on? And why am I invisible?”

“You can call me ‘Miss’. We Marche built these tunnels and don’t appreciate them being commandeered by those eyeless wonders. And you’re not invisible, you’re in sort of a personal cloaking device.”

Eleazar thought for a moment. “You fired that missile!”

“Not me personally but one of us did. You’re not supposed to be here. You see, they intercepted you before our friends could.”

“Friends?”

“On Victory Station. We still need to get you there, but first…” Miss smiled again, broader this time, as she patted the bed. Eleazar stayed put. “Don’t worry, I won’t bite. Unless you want me to.” Eleazar still didn’t move. “Don’t you like me?”

“That’s not it. I think you are beautiful but…well, for one thing, I can’t see myself!”

“Oh? The dosage must have been off. We can fix that.” Again, Miss patted the bed. The depression moved off the chair and one formed on the bed. Miss pulled a hypospray out of a pocket in her dress, felt for Eleazar, and sprayed his hand.

“Hey…” started Eleazar as a wave of some sort washed over him.

“Now?” Miss flashed another of her dazzling smiles and started to undress. Eleazar squeezed her bottom again as she stood up. This time, her tail was already stiff. Miss giggled at the touch. “You don’t need to do that anymore.” She turned around to reveal a pair of firm breasts with erect nipples. Eleazar hadn’t moved from his spot. “Look, they’re going to come after you but we won’t be bothered if we’re busy. It’ll give us some time to get you out of here.” Eleazar thought it over and realized that Miss had a point. He removed his pants, which materialized as they left his field. At that, Miss smiled once more and moved toward him.

This time Brigid broke out her cane for yet another trip back to Capt. Sturdivants’s office. In spite of the rest she had managed to get with her quarters dialed back to .33 STG, her feet and back were still aching. The cane, old-fashioned a device though it was, gave her more confidence on her feet, and was certainly cheaper than more advanced support devices. It was the latter quality which appealed most to Brigid’s frugal nature.

As she stumped along she muttered to herself. “Ordered me back to his office? I’m a civilian, I am. He could of at least said please, seeing as I’m nearly old enough to be his mother!” But she had composed herself by the time she passed by(yet again) Cpl. Langston at his desk and entered the captain’s office.

This time Brigid took the form-fitting chair without comment. When introduced to Ensign Kaval and Adm. Innison her face took on a thoughtful look on hearing the admiral’s name.

"I’ve heard that name before, haven’t I? Something about Forsetti a while back, some murders, wasn’t it?

“Umm, yes, I did have some part in settling that affair” murmured the admiral. Confident that his own abilities would speak for themselves, Zora Innison did not have the kind of an ego that felt the need to retell his own exploits. “And I’ve
been hearing about you from the captain here. I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Dr. Fujisawa, but if you and Kaval here can put your heads together and come up with something to smoke out those responsible, we can hopefully avenge his passing.”

“His murder you mean” rasped Brigid. “I’m a blunt woman, Adm. Innison.”

“As you say. I understand you were supposed to start working as an analyst, with special reports to Capt. Sturdivant, but we’re going to partner you with Kaval instead, and have you both working on making sense of the data that the parasite frakked up.” At this point Zora was interrupted by Brigid.

“Now wait a minute! I came here with the promise of a good-paying job. I’m not going to work for peanuts for the military, and …” here Zora broke in on Brigid’s tirade.

“…we will pay 50% more than the analysis job. This work is important, Ms. Connell, and you and Kaval are going to be working your butts off. The increase seems only fair.”

At the mention of the extra credits Brigid gave a little woof! as she settled back into the chair. “I guess I’ll take you up on that offer then. I can’t do a lot of running around though, you know my problem I imagine.”

“I think the ensign here can do most of that, if it’s needed.” laughed the admiral.

For this first time since their introduction Kaval spoke up, to Brigid.

“Ms. Connell, if it helps, I know a way to tweak the controls a little for the STG generators here. If you want an even lower level in your rooms I can probably bing it down a few points, to 25% or so. Would that help?”

Brigid stared at the younger man. “if you can manage that then I’ll definitely work with you.” But she wondered how much she should or shouldn’t reveal about “Rose” and what she already had on hand about the data. There was no question but she would use it, but how to present it? Well, that could be left for later.

As Brigid and Kaval were leaving Capt. Sturdivan’ts office to begin their work together Zora Innison rose to see her out. As she passed him she leaned over a little and whispered “I would have settle for a 10 % raise, you know.” In an equally low tone he replied “And I would have paid double, you know.”

A pair of lower-class Panils, both of whom were security guards, had gone into Marche territory to check on Eleazar’s whereabouts. They entered the bar with the slightly psychic decor and found it quite busy, for it was happy hour and all the local Marche were there. All of whom turned their eyes toward the newcomers.

The guards found the trail of the only human who had recently visited and followed it toward the backrooms, where they heard commotion coming from one of the rooms. Eleazar and a femail Marche, no doubt. The first guard was the same one who gave Eleazar the directions and recongnized the voice, he elbowed the other guard and pointed.

That’s when a figure suddenly stepped between the guards and placed a big, furry hand on their shoulders. The guards turned and faced a male Marche, larger than most others of his kind, who loudly said: “You know the rules. Only staff and customers allowed back here.”

The first guard twitched his head toward the door. “We’ll wait outside.”

Eleazar gave Miss a look that said “What was that?”

Miss giggled a bit. “Harvey, our bouncer…those eyeless wonders must be poking around.”

With the sound of lovemaking on an endless loop being in the background, Eleazar and Miss dressed themselves and left their room. They turned right, closed the door behind them, and continued deeper into Marche territory. Eleazar asked about the apparently non-electronic cloaking device.

“We’re not sure. We samples of it a long time ago, it looked like someone tried to hide them in the warren. Our scientists have been trying to duplicate the formula but so far all we have is the orignal box.”

“Won’t they follow our trail?”

“Mine perhaps but yours should be fine now that we’ve adjusted your field.”

Miss stopped suddenly and pulled out a makup kit.

Eleazar, caught off guard, dug in his heels and skidded a bit. “This is a fine time to freshen up!”

“Sh!” Instead of looking at herself in the mirror, Miss pointed it down the tunnel and shook it a bit. A series of flashes beamed in return. “This is as far as I go,” said Miss as she pointed the doctor toward where the light had been.

Eleazar took off then but didn’t go very far when he stopped again and turned around. “Before I go on, I just want to know one thing. What’s your name? Surely not ‘Miss’.”

“Shirley.”

“Ensign Kaval” began Brigid, outside Cpt. Sturdivant’s office, “I’m sometimes told I’m hard to work with. That’s when people are being polite. But what I hear behing my back is ‘bitchy’. However, I flatter myself that I’m very good at what I do, and in this matter I have a personal stake. Well, more than one actually.”

John summoned a cart and gave it directions, and it coasted away at moderate speed.

“I understand about your friend, Ms. Connell. I’m very sorry.”

“El didn’t deserve what happened to him. I want payback.”

“Well, between us maybe we can comb through what we have and get it. But, call me John. You’re a civilian, so we don’t have to be formal.”

The older woman had had very few people in her life she could honestly call friends, and she didn’t expect for this young man to become one of them. But there was no reason not to return the courtesy he had offered. After a brief internal struggle she replied “And you can call me Brigid.”

The cart slowed and came to a halt in a corridor Brigid had not yet seen. John helped her clamber out and the two entered a door marked with the simple legend “Computech”. Brigid noted that it felt markedly cooler here, although not unpleasantly so, than the corridor outside. The small foyer seemed almost a duplicate of the waiting room outside Cpt. Sturdivant’s office, right down to the young corporal and the spiky leaved crystal plant. The young non-com affixed a chip to Brigid’s collar that marked her as “authorized” to security devices, and then she was lead down a short hallway by Kaval.

“Not much further” he promised as she followed slowly behind him, looking around at a series of unmarked doors. “Here we go” he said, halting a bending his head slightly to let a scanner view his retinal pattern. The door slid open and Kaval motioned her inside. “Ladies first” he said. Glaring at him, Brigid entered.

“Whoa” she breathed, impressed in spite of herself. The room had lighting that imitated the sunshine as seen on Earth, humanity’s original home. It appeared to come from “windows” on the walls, that showed an outdoor scene with Terran trees, grass and flowers. Occasionally a bird flew by, or an animal appeared from the woods. The scene changed constantly.

Of course there was the usual setup of scanners, computers, and technical wizardry. But the chairs looked actually comfortable, and adjustable to fit individual height, weight, and visual requirements.

“It’s really something, isn’t it?” grinned Kaval, relishing the look on Brigid’s face. “Sometimes analysts or researchers are in here for a long time. This setup breaks monotony, helps keep folks alert. That outdoor scene is on a 24 hour, standard day loop, from day to night and back again. Sometimes there’s even a storm thrown in. Looking at long streams of pictures, vids, or printed data can be boring, and workers can zone out.”

“Your tax credits at work” muttered Brigid. “I sure never rated a set-up like this. Can we get going now?”

“You bet. If you want to sit here, I’ll take this station, and we can get started.”

Sometime later the two realized they were actually working well together. There was little off tpic chit-chat, but no discord either, and both were coming to a realization of each other’s talents.

Brigid was still wondering how to bring up the matter of the information “Rose” had tossed in her lap, when the matter was taken out of her hands. The Compupad she’s been given was not all that large, and, not thinking about it earlier, she’d thrust it into her jacket pocket when she’d returned to Capt. Sturdivant’s office so abruptly.

Now it began a faint signaling beep, and at the same time a small red light began flashing at Kaval’s station.

“What the frell?” he said, in a surprised tone. Brigid glanced at him in consternation.

“That’s for an unauthorized signal” he said. Making a few adjustments he glanced at a small screen. “But the source is from in this room.” Before he could say anything else Brigid decided to come clean.

With a muttered apology she took the device out and wordlessly laid it down between them. The signal, getting no response, had ceased.

Kaval was pissed, thinking of spies and deception. “What in frak is that?” he rasped.

Brigid sighed. “Something I should have told you about sooner.”

“How long were you going to wait? And you still haven’t answered my question!”

Even knowing she’d been the one to make an error in judgement Brigid was annoyed. "Look, youngster, it’s been hard to know who to really trust around here. “We’ve been getting along pretty good so far, if you’ll simmer down I’ll tell you what little I know.”

And she did, starting from the moment she’d arrived on Victory Station. It took quite a while, and the scene outside the “window” was dark by the time she had finished. And young as he was, John Kaval was still shrewd enough to understand that what he had been told was too long and detailed to be a lie made up on such short notice.

After showing the ensign some of the files she had already viewed he began to get excited as well, and willing to forget Brigid’s error in judgement.

"But who the frell is “Rose”? he wanted to know.

"All I know is he seems to come from the Daestral embassy, and said he ‘doesn’t want to come out yet’ " was the answer. “You can make of that what you will”

Before Kaval could go on Brigid felt her stomach rumble, and other urges as well. Until this “break” her body had been ignored, and even her back had been comfortable enough in the wonderful chair. Now she had to do something about it.

“Umm, where’s the…” but before she could finish Kaval just pointed to a door on the far wall, and with a murmur of thanks she got up.

On returning she sighed in quiet relief, then asked if they had to leave to eat.

“Well, it isn’t fancy fare, there’s also some basics in the fridge here. Do you eat meat?” “Sure do” she replied, as John rummaged around in a built in cold cabinet, ending up with coffee crystals ready to be heated, and sandwich fixings a human could eat, and would probably enjoy. If the two had had much different biochemistries they’d have been working in another room, one keyed for non-humans.

The two munched away, easy again with each other now that the misunderstanding seemed to be resolved.

Brigid glanced at out one “window”. It really was a remarkable device, now showing a nearly full Earth moon rising. The “night” scene, combined with a meal and long hours of work, began to make her feel tired, and she yawned involuntarily. “Do you suppose we could take a couple hours break?” she asked. “I’m not as young as I used to be…” But before she could finish the little red light began to go off at Kaval’s station again.

“Don’t look at me” she said, even as the CompuPad began it’s low beeping again. “this time yours went off first!”

“It’s an outside signal again, but legitimate this time” he said, turning to take a call. Just see what’s going on with yours."

Brigid flipped the device open and found Rose staring out at her. She was alarmed to see him with a gash across his face that was oozing the bronze colored blood of a Daestral. He immediately began speaking.

“Ms. O’Connell, I don’t have much time, and you don’t have any reason to trust me, yet. I said before I wasn’t ready to ‘come in’ yet, now I have to. If you can had for the Daestral embassy… please come, I’ll find you along the way. You may feel better with backup, that’s fine…”

Something off screen distracted Rose for a few seconds, then he turned back. “I was getting a signal from Dona Salo, when all hell broke loose. I think I’ve finally been traced, so I can’t go on anymore without better protection.”

“I’ll see what I can do” she said, “I can’t promise more than that”

“I don’t blame you. Over”, and the screen went blank.

Looking up she saw Kaval ending a call as well.

“Seems there’s been problems planetside again” he told her, “a couple of subterranean bombings, or explosions of some sort. And to top it off, at nearly the same time there was some kind of sniping shots outside the Daestral embassy. A couple of deaths, and several injured.”

Hurriedly Brigid told him about Rose. Her earlier feelings of tiredness were overridden by a surge of adrenalin. “Look” she said, “whatever he is, or has been, he’s an adult, and must have known what he was doing. I don’t feel any moral obligation to help, but it seems to me that helping him now is worth some risk.”

“So do I” replied Kaval. “Think you can handle it?”

Brigid gave him a dirty look, as the two prepared to leave.

“Really, what’s your name?”

“Shirley,” said a male voice. Eleazar turned toward its origin and could barely make out the figure of a Marche, larger than most others of his kind, in the shadows. “Come. We must hurry.”

Eleazar did as he was asked. “Harvey, I presume?”

The Marche smiled and shook his head as the pair took off running. “Harry. Harvey’s my brother.”

The pair continued a maze of tunnels with Harry in the lead until they came to a large door. Eleazar started to head toward it but Harry caught his arm. “Hold it,” he said, sniffing the air a bit. “Something’s wrong.” He kneeled, searching the ground a bit, then came up with a rock and retreated to the last corner for some cover. Eleazar followed, wondering what was going on. He didn’t have to wonder long for Harry sidearmed the rock at the door’s handle. He missed the handle by a few inches but got the result he wanted anyway: a couple of explosions.

“How…?”

“I caught the smell of cordite, or something similar. Someone rigged the door so it would take out the next person to use it. Must’ve been sitting there for some time, judging by the odor.”

“Rigged the door? But the explosions didn’t go off until the rock hit the ground!”

“Heyyy…you’re right! Now why would that happen?” Harry paused while he thought. “Unless the explosions were intended for the other side and the passage of time caused them to slip a bit…oh!”

Eleazar turned toward his guide. “What?”

“Later. Let’s get moving.” Harry started back the way the had came with the doctor following. They went through more tunnels and headed toward the sound of running water. First a left, then a right, then another right, then back to the left; the sound of running water getting louder with each step. Then they came to a waterfall, only they were behind it. A group of local inabitants played in the water far below. Eleazar looked down thought he could make out Shirley splashing about. “This way,” leaded Harry. “Watch your step, I wouldn’t advise taking a dive from here.”

“Besides, a sudden splash out of nowhere would startle those swimmers, and I don’t know what water would do to your current…status.”

“Right.” And so the pair continued downwards.

“I don’t know how long your dose will last and we need to get you up to Victory. Would you object to taking the quick way down?”

“Quick way?” asked Eleazar and Harry pointed toward a feature on the rock face. Someone had carved out a set of slides! Neither had been on a slide in years, many years in the case of the doctor, but he agreed and Harry headed them toward one that ended in a sand pit instead of the pool.

Meanwhile, the Panils had returned inside to confront Harvey. “It’s been long enough. Where’s the human?”

“Human? I’ve seen no human.”

“In the back. I heard him.”

Harvey sent another of the girls to check. She returned after a few minutes, reporting no humans–just some girls and their customers.

“What?” demanded the senior Panil. He motioned to his partner, who pulled a Kazan pistol on Harvey. The senior one then pulled out his own Kazan pistol, motioned for the other Marche to stay out of his way, and headed to the backrooms. He found one that contained the sound of lovemaking but not the usual heat patterns associated with it and kicked in the door.

Birgid and Kaval arrived at the Daestral embassy, where they found a Quilliar being taken into custody and Rose getting medical treatment. Kaval thought he recognized Rose from earlier, when he and the admiral boarded the station.