Firefox 3.0 who has started using it?

On the Mac, the new FF application simply replaced the old one. On the PC, the installer did everything. In both cases, user ‘profiles’ containing bookmarks, stored passwords, etc, were stored elsewhere; the new FF accepted the data from the already-existing profiles.

I loaded it on all my machines yesterday, and I’m very happy with it so far. It’s noticeably faster and seems less RAM-hungry. I’m a little dubious about the increased detail in the address-bar history (it’s a little cluttered-looking), but I can also see the advantages of it.

I downloaded and was using the Beta for the last few weeks. As of yesterday, when the ‘real’ version came out, a few add ons weren’t compatible but they’ve been updated since that. If you’ve lost bookmarks, try this. . The one time I lost my bookmarks, I went back to the add on, signed in and re-downloaded them all.

Anyone check put the about:mozilla message yet?

I’ve been using it on and off since beta 2, and constantly since release candidate 1. It’s much more stable (fewer memory leaks, I’d wager) than any previous Firefox version.

I’ve been using a beta (RC2?) for a week or so. Nice so far, no glitches. My favorite extension doesn’t work though, Firesomething. I don’t see things like Mozilla MegaGiraffe and Mozilla UberFrog on my title bar any more. :frowning:

One thing I didn’t like is the new Downloads window. UGLY. Looks like it was created in 1995 or something.

Really- I don’t know much about security, but sounds like a good idea :slight_smile: ! I might have to switch over. Firefox went wonky on our Mac, but then Safari was acting up as well. So we’ll need to bring the mac in for an overhaul.

I’ve been using IE on my two laptops- perhaps I’ll try it on the one running XP. I’m afraid to mess with the run using Vista!

No, the beta versions were earlier and somewhat unstable. RC2 is the second Release Candidate, which is a version that might actually be released. (In fact, I think RC2 did get released and is now just Firefox 3.0).

I downloaded it at work. One small thing annoys me. I use the mouse wheel to make the font bigger. They changed the direction that makes it go bigger in 3.0. So for years I’ve been doing it one way, now I guess I’ll have to adjust.

Thank goodness! I thought I was losing my mind. Why would they do that?

So, any idea what I should do about it not removing/replacing FF2 on my mac? (FF3 is working, but FF2 is definitely still here too!)

Should I try reinstalling it? Should I just trash FF2 and hope for the best? (suggestions on which files to trash and where they are located, greatly appreciated!)

Come on, just give me a nudge in the right direction…

I downloaded it last night. Everything went seamlessly, all my bookmarks were carried over. The majority of add-ons I use most are compatible with 3.0. The only thing I needed to do was close down Firefox 2 before installing the new one. I don’t know if 2.0 is still on my PC, nor do I care much. I’m pretty happy with the new browser. It does seem to be faster than its predecessor.

It seems to me that when I am on the SDMB and I press the “go to first post” button next to a thread, FireFox 3.0 does not take me to the first post, but rather to somewhere approximating where I last was in that thread. Does anyone else see this?

I’ve been using it since yesterday. So far I like it. It seems snappier, and almost all of my plugins still work (after I disabled the appropriate security checks). The only one that doesn’t is the Acrobat Reader plugin, but that never worked properly in my browser anyway so I’m not missing anything. I even installed two new plugins not yet updated for FF3 (both from Cooliris) and they worked flawlessly.

I haven’t fully explored all of the new features but the stuff that stood out so far has all been handy and useful. No disaapointments so far anyway.

Yes! I’m glad it’s not just me.

They did, and quite comfortably at that.

(8 million, for those who don’t want to click.)

And I was noticing similar behaviour after posting: the browser shows the bottom of the previous post instead of the new post.

Went to it on Tuesday. Didn’t want the hassle of betas. I do lots of development work in my browser using a CMS, so I didn’t want crashes.

FF3 seems to be faster than FF2. It’s OK. I know some experimental browsers that are faster. Most everything seems to work. I don’t use normal bookmarks, so no real hassle there, but they seem to work anyway.

You can install FF3 on top of FF2. Not sure if they play well together on the same Windoze machine or not.

I am a bit hassled that they messed with the tab system I set up. I basically want a new tab for everything except anchors and pages in the same domain. The new default behavior is not like that, and it’s hard to get back to it. I was using Tab Mix Plus to overcome the deficiencies of FF2, but alas TMP is not yet ready for FF3 and may never be. I have no idea why FF3 threw those options out. But I argue with UI designers anyway.

As a point of reference, I have not used IE for many years now. I know less about it than I do about Linux internals, which is saying something!

I installed FF3 over the top of FF2 on one XP machine with no problems. I did have to go into about:config and set browser.tabs.closeButtons back to 3 to get rid of the close buttons on each tab, but this was the same procedure as for FF2.

I also ran into some problems with add-ons. Long Titles is no longer necessary as mentioned upthread. I had to hunt for updated versions of Cookie Button and Tab Mix Plus, but once found they seemed to work fine.

The one that proved to be a major annoyance was Google Browser Sync. Apparently it’s been discontinued and won’t be updated. I switched over to Foxmarks and that’s been ok so far.

It looks like this can be changed back.

Have you run into problems with the dev build?

I’ve been using v3 since Wednesday as well, and overall it’s definitely better. I’m disappointed that the memory footprint isn’t smaller, and that it still messes up a lot of Japanese sites (like, why would simply refreshing the page correct the encoding??).

I really like the new look, and once I get over missing the add-ons that aren’t compatible (or they get updated to work with v3), I’ll be happy with my regular browser once more. :slight_smile: