Fireworks in NYC, 9/13?

I was driving home to Queens from New Jersey through the Holland Tunnel, around 9:30 PM last night (9/13/2009), and I and my family saw a really big fireworks display ahead of us. When our car emerged from the Holland Tunnel and we made our way down Canal Street, we saw the fireworks behind us, half-blocked by the buildings on the north side of the street. I’d have to guess that they were being shot from the far West Side somewhere.

Anyone know what the occasion was?

New York usually has Labor Day fireworks. Sometimes if the weather is bad on Labor Day, they’ll delay it for the next weekend. However, I think the weather in NYC was pretty good.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Harbor Day.

There was a big windup in the harbor yesterday to the year-long celebration of the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson’s voyage. Perhaps it included fireworks?

Hmm. I googled “Harbor Day” and saw brochures listing the various events, and no mention of fireworks. But that clearly seems to be the area where the fireworks came from, so I’ll guess that it was due to this celebration.

I believe it was the end of the Hoboken Italian Festival: http://hobokenitalianfestival.com/

Edit: the schedule says 9/12, but I heard fireworks were delayed until last night.

A much better candidate, since the fireworks are actually supposed to be part of the celebration. Thanks.

9/13 was the 150th anniversary of the city of Weehawken, and I know there were all sorts of events and a parade, so it might have been for that.