Flinstones

What is Barney Rubble’s occupation on the Flinstones? If anyone knows the answer to this, feel free to email me at apalmore@metropo-s.mccneb.edu

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_398a.html

And who are the “Flinstones”? I know who the Flintstones are, though.

BTW, did you know the show was inspired by “The Honeymooners”?

Fred Flintstone=Ralph Kramden
Barney Rubble=Ed Norton
Wilma=Alice
Betty=Trixie

Jackie Gleason even considered (for a day or so) suing Hanna-Barbera, but decided “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” and let them slide. Besides, imagine the negative publicity that would’ve resulted:

“Jackie Gleason Wins Lawsuit” Weeping children want to know, “Where’s Fred and Barney?”

I read this years ago in TV Guide.

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to relive it. Georges Santayana

Saturday Night Live did a skit many years ago. The actors were all wearing Flintstones costumes, and the characters had Flintstones names, but there was something about the dialog that sounded extremely Honeymooners-ish. I don’t know if that was deliberate, but it sure convinced me of the similarity between the two.

Did “Fred” say something like, “You’re goin’ to the moon, Wilma! To the moon!”?

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to relive it. Georges Santayana

It says to email him… I think that Morningstar doesn’t quite “get” the concept of a message board. He probably won’t check back.

–John

Yue, mornin’ said if we “know the answer feel free to Email” , didn’t say to email the answer just to email. star gonna get at least ONE email that says only " I know the answer". Cecil said in one episode mr slate was “George” in another “Sam” , I worked for a guy named Sam George once, reinforced my warning ‘never trust a man with no last name.’ anyway, did the Great One sue HB? ever heard of the Flagstones? Why the hell did they introduce that stupid alien? Did Pebbles leave bedrock for 9 months? answers here.http://www.powerup.com.au/~ves/faq.html

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

I, uh, thought I made it clear that Gleason did not sue H-B over “The Flintstones”.

Well, then, who did THE JETSONS rip off?

Uke

THE JETSONS did “rip-off anybody. But as someone who works in the industry, I can tell you no one devours their young the way the TV industry does> (EG: The Simpsons were a hit…follow that up with “Captiol Critters”, “Fish Police” and Family Dog” and you’ve got prenty of barf to go around.) HOwever TV also believes the law that “The Opposite Is True.” So if a pre-historic cartoon family works (Flintstones) then a futuristic one should too. (Jetsons) If we can put Hillbillies in the city. (Beverly Hillbillies) Then we can put city slickers in the country. (Green Acres.) As for “The Flagstones, The late Mort Browne (His son, Chris carries on his work in the comic pages with “Hi & Lios” and “Hagar The Horrible”) mentioned during an interview that The Flagstones” was to be Fred and Wilma’s last name. However, his characters in “Hi & Lois” are surnamed Flagstone. He jokingly said he would sue Hanna-Barbara, next thing he knew, they were “The Flinstones.”

With God as my witness, I thought turkey’s could fly.

Sorry. I meant to say "THE JETSON’S DIDN’T rip off anybody. Guess I was too busy devouring my young to notice…My apologies…

With God as my witness, I thought turkey’s could fly.

About the Flinstone’s name: I read a book on cartoon hstory, and another name considered for the 'Stones was “The Gladstones” . This was dumped because of the Carl Barks created Disney character Gladstone Gander.

“Boy, sure wish we had one o’ them Doomsday devices”-Gen. Turginson, Dr. Strangelove

Yeah, I’d use that Doomsday Device on anyone who writes “Flinstones”.

It’s FLINTSTONES!!!

Fighting my own ignorance since 1957.