Florida is Officially Fucked

That’s a beautiful animal.

It is.
And if it wants a catnip mouse, it gets a catnip mouse.

Spider kitty

https://images.app.goo.gl/eytorToovJvqeKy56

I know I should think that is wrong, but I think it’s adorable and I want Jack Skellington to bring me one for Christmas.

I believe Xanth was supposed to be Florida, and a major component of that world was that pretty much any cross-breed you could imagine had happened at least once.

For those who, like me, don’t recognize “Xanth”.

Sounds like a fun series. I’ll snag a couple from the library.

Right up Slacker’s alley if you know what I mean.

lol just avoid the pit and youll e fine

The first two or three are pretty good - light, fluffy fantasy. After that, they get creepy. Piers Anthony finds reasons to mention panties…rarely those on adult women, however.

The first few are kind of fun, with the rampant puns and wordplay, and I enjoyed the books when I was in high school. But, what I can now see is that there’s quite a bit of misogyny (and some pedophilia) in Anthony’s books, so be forewarned.

Yeah, I agree. All of Anthony’s series are like this - in his Bio of a Space Tyrant, the older the main character got, the younger the women he had sex with got (not counting the incest). For all the positives in the earlier Xanth books, it’s probably best not to even start.

The Xanth author sounds like a real winner. Color me forewarned. I did note from the wiki article that he’d written a bunch of these things, so obviously by now they’d become pretty formulaic.

Given the comments just above about the current smell of the series, the wiki cite of the author’s comment towards “I just keep writing them because the publisher keeps wanting them.” says a little too much about the audience.

There are currently 43 books in the series, with at least another four on the way. Maybe the first …six? …are decent reads but the quality starts to fall away pretty noticeably, until they’re basically just a bunch of reader-submitted puns and YA innuendo.

Fun fact: the title of book 15 is The Color of Her Panties. Really. IIRC that was the point I gave up on the series.

An earlier thread that may be of interest.

Bumped.

We’re in FL so my husband can take his folks to finally get their COVID shots - second shots tomorrow. I am absolutely aghast at the casual attitude towards masks here. But then I come from a state where the governor famously said “Wear the damn mask!” and by and large, citizens comply.

But not here. I’ll be so glad when we can return home - just going to stay long enough to ensure they don’t suffer ill effects.

It’s all fine. The baristas in Florida have all learned to make Clorox Margaritas and Lysol Mai-Tais. You just have to ask for them.

You’re in / near Gainseville, right? Down here in Ft Lauderdale mask compliance is very, very high. We seem to have gotten over the “won’t wear it because freedumb” thing here.

Outdoors is pretty lax, but that’s in keeping with both common sense and the local regulations.

Ocala, land of a gazillion retirees. I saw a woman in scrubs in a convenience store sans mask. Yeah, there’s a great example…

I’m aghast at the lack of a meaningful, enforced state-wide mask mandate, like we have here in Ontario where I’ve never seen anyone in an indoor public place without a mask. But then, Florida is run by a Republican lunatic. AIUI, DeSantis has blocked local governments who impose mask mandates from being able to enforce them via fines or other penalties. He has apparently determined, in his infinite Republican medical wisdom, and contrary to all medical guidance, that “masks don’t work”.