FM Repeater?

I did a google search before this posting, but sometimes the internet just gives too much information (and that’s not good when it’s the wrong info). Any way, I live in a rather desolate area and would like to put a music system on my golfcart (can you say “dirt roads?”). I don’t want to use a tape deck, and a cd player is out of the question. I would like to use some type of rebroadcast system that will allow me to pick up music on a FM radio while “on the road.” I’ve seen a system like this before, but have no idea where it came from. Any help?
Thanks. :cool:

If you want something you can pick up using a normal FM car radio, then you are pretty much SOL. Nothing that you can legally buy will have a range of more than a couple of hundred feet.

You might try a pair of license free two-way radios. Connect the mic input of one to one side of the line out on your stereo (with appropriate stuff to bring the level down) and you’d have a very low fidelity mono system with a range of maybe a mile.

Anything that will get you longer range is going to be illegal or require licensing.

I’d go with satellite radio (Sirius or XM) if I were you. If you were a Bob Edwards fan on NPR, you can find him on XM, now.

The use of “FM repeater” that I’m familiar with is a small FM station that plays the same signal as its sister station several miles away. My local example is Indiana Public Radio. Their main station is at Ball State U. at Muncie, WBST. Here in Anderson, there’s a lower-power transmitter, WBSB, that plays the same thing. A handful of other repeaters in other towns allow IPR to cover an area from the northern border of Indiana all the way to south of New Castle, and from Richmond on the Ohio border to the eastern edge of Indianapolis in the middle of the state.

Oversimplified a bit, FM radio is “line of sight.” While you can pick up a faraway AM station, you’ll rarely pick up an FM station farther away than about 35-40 miles.

My meager knowledge of satellite radio suggests that you can get in a car, turn on your XM radio, and drive from Bangor, Maine to San Diego, California without losing signal.

This would be illegal, too. It’s called one-way transmission, and is not allowed on the bands allocated for two-way communications, like FRS, GMRS and the amateur bands, per FCC regulations.

That’s a new one on me. Learn something new everyday.

It makes sense, though. Continuously transmitting would block the channel.

So, he’s pretty much SOL.

Why is a CD player “out of the question”?

Compared to tape decks, most CD players are built to handle bumps and still keep playing, and it should be easy to power them from the golf cart’s battery. Keeping the CD’s clean on dirt roads would be a problem, but not insurmountable.

Seems like you’ve ruled out the best solution ahead of time.

Ramsey Electronics makes several low power FM, including stereo, transmitter kits. See here: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/hk/default.asp?page=amfm

These may have enough power to do what you want. You don’t mention the range required, but if it’s not too far you may be OK. There’s even a link to the FCC information that is applicable.

Ramsey also has the antennas and other parts you may want.

Digital Jukebox - Rio, Ipod, Iriver, etc :slight_smile:

Yes seems like a cheap portable digital music player would fit the bill nicely.