Fontheads, name me your favorite font: get me out of the Myriad rut

My current favorite is High Tower Text.

:smiley:

I don’t do that much work with fonts, but I’ve always been partial to that “family” of fonts (Caslon, Baskerville, Bodoni and Didot). Probably Baskerville more than the others. I don’t think that they’re great for numbers, though (other than dates); the descenders (?) can be a bit distracting. Didot avoids that, but the seven is just a bit funky.

Your cat clearly wanted to be named Wingdings :smiley:

That is just crying out to be used on an album cover.

I love Giddyup, but I’ve never had cause to use it. There’s a companion wingding font (called “thangs,” heh) that has lots of fun stuff in it.

Typography geek cat names: Virgule and Pilcrow!

<fontgeekery>Technically, Baskerville and Caslon are from the “Transitional” classification (typically having tapered serifs with a slightly oblique stress) wheras Bodoni and Didot are from the “Modern” classification (typically with no tapering of serifs and perfectly vertical stress).</fontgeekery>

Thank you. Educational - not geekery at all. And no fears; there’s zero ego here to crush. As I said, I am really not that up on fonts, and the differences that just scream out to you folks are usually too subtle for me to pick up on. But I will say that this sort of thing fascinates me. If it’s not too much of a hijack - are there good books that trace the history of font design?

I always thought Computer Modern looked great. Example here (PDF).

This one

The only time I used it was when I was trying to shrink a paper to one page, but it’s great for that purpose. And it looks cool.

Edit: Apperantly, chiller isn’t supported. :smack: Anyway, the font’s name is chiller.
Edit: Now I feel twice as stupid.

I Love Cataneo BT

Yep: you can’t do better than Anaptyxis’s recommendation of Robert Bringhurst’s Elements of Typographic Style. But if you’re looking for something a little less academic and a little more recreational, click on over to Typophile’s Typography 101

I use Trebuchet. It’s like I’m flinging my words onto the page.

I was just going to post that. Gotham is the Omaba font. Not that great for long paragraphs, but an excellent choice as a display font or for short paragraphs.

I like Optima too.

I use Verdana for web work, because it seems to be easier for people to read than Helvetica and Arial, and you don’t get much choice with web pages.

My favorite print fonts, when I was doing print work, were:

Palatino and Palatino Sans if I had to use a sans serif font.

I love pretty much all the Zapf fonts and used those often as well - if you are looking specifically for sans serif, Humanist 601 is real nice. Calligraphic 801 and Book are mighty nice in the serif department, though I wouldn’t use Book on anything real small.

Thanks fior this thread; it’s really eye-opening. The last time I looked at the fonts on my computer was a loooooing time ago, when I guess it came with two dozen fonts. Using Font Book (Mac), I see I have 190 fonts!!! About a third are foreign language fonts, but that still leaves an amazing number.

[Barbara Walters]
Now, if you were a font, which would you be?

Futura probably describes me (as seen by people who are not me), but maybe on a stretch I’m a little Eurostile. I need a little more Party LET in my life, as well as some Cookie Dough and Curlz. I yearn for a place where everyone knew my name, but Cooper Black is probably just a fantasy. I think it would be neat to find a little Mona Lisa Std-Solid to settle down with, but really, it seems I always get attracted to Collateral Damage, and it blows up in my face. So, I’m biding my time with the ol’ PIXymbols Braille, if you get my drift.

But my paycheck’s burning a hole in my wallet, so I’m gonna go out and buy me that Lorelei.
[/Babs]

I think there is possibly a really good pyschiatric or personality barometer in looking at other peoples favorite fonts.

groo I really like lorelei, mona lisa : showing signs of a predereliction towards a Jane Austen Fandom. cooper black is nice and controlled, unlike any other department in my life.

I am pretty sure I could font shop all day long and be completely and deleriously happy.

My political party was using Dax before it got popular. I also like Univers 57, the official font of the Montreal metro.

For body text, I like Palatino or Garamond, if I can get away with them – especially if it needs lots of italics.

Oh, come on! Live a little! I’m sure even your own ancestor used somebody else’s fonts occasionally.