foods we need

As a hypothetical situation, say you had to choose between 2 jobs in two different states or cities or countries. All considerations are equal except one. In one of the places you could not get your favorite food.

What food (item or type) would you not be able to live without?

Mine would be pasta.

To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion.

Does beer count as food? I probably get more calories from beer than from solid food intake. So I’m never taking a job in a Muslim country.

If I gotta choose a solid food category, it’s definitely seafood. Love those crusteaceans. Nice fresh deep fried Lake Erie perch is pretty tasty too.

Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
- Ambrose Bierce

A good Pepperoni Pizza. If I can’t find one within a week I’m afraid you won’t want to see the withdrawal symptoms.

Milk. Gotta be milk.

I can give up chocolate, pastry, butter and beef, but I gotta have milk.

“non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem”

Cheetos. I have no earthly reason why this is.

“…send lawyers, guns, and money…”

Warren Zevon

Pop-Tarts. I must have Pop-Tarts. My passion for strawberry-frosted Pop-Tarts knows no bounds. I am never more than 5 feet from a Pop-Tart, unless I’m in the car, going to the store to buy more Pop-Tarts.

Cristi—

Have people been around you when you run out of Pop-Tarts? If so, is it a pretty picture?

“…send lawyers, guns, and money…”

Warren Zevon

Chicken Parmisian

oh, how can one live without sushi? i was in montana for two weeks and nearly went into paroxysms of despair. too ironic, no sushi in fishtail!

Pork tenderloin sandwiches – either grilled or breaded – pretty unknown outside the midwest. (It’s the same cut of meat used for barbecued pork in Asian restaurants.)

Growing up, if you had a quarter, you’d buy a hamburger, but if you had 35 cents, you’d spring for the tenderloin.

Moved to Seattle in the late 60’s and was surprised no one made this sandwich – they’re so damn good. Luckily, we could buy the cut at the Pike Place Market and make our own.

It’s the one food that we looked for when we moved back to Iowa – but it’s harder find places that really know how to do them – kind of sad.