For all the grammar police

So who polices the grammar police?

Robb, you sound like my sister! She regularly mangles her grammar and makes up words. Examples: “I is cool!”, “I is bain” (translation: “I am the baby!”), and “I is your baby sister!” I swear she does this to bug me…

I don’t think you necessarily want to know… do you? :eek:

Well, even police chiefs have higher-ups that they must answer to… but I’m not sure about this!

The peeve is about using an s on savings. Yes, it is a minor rant, and probably not for the grammar police. However, I had just finished rants about people who use ‘loan’ in stead of ‘lend’ (which turns out to be correct anyway) and other various grammar violations which seem to drive people nuts.

Note: daylight savings is not in www.m-w.com, but daylight saving is. Dictionary.com is a good reference, but I’d trust m-w before dictionary.doc. For all I know, dictionary.com was brought to you by the same people that gave us the spell checker with ‘millenium’ in it.

My point was simply that there are likely no perfect grammarians among us, and yet there are many who like to point out the faults of others.

Let those with perfect grammar be the first to fling the first apostrophe!

I knew I’d muck that up.
The peeve is about using an s on saving…

I had just finished reading rants about people who use…

How can you be peeved about using an s on saving, when saving has no s at the end? :confused: Or do you prefer to use “aving”, and that’s the point of your peeve?

As an optimist, I call it being allowed out of work an hour early every blessed day until autumn.

Now hand me that half-full glass of water.

pan

In-turnal Affares.

I used to be a university English professor who spent quite a bit of time teaching technical writing.

Concerning the usage in question, I find that I usually say, “How do I change the time on the alarm clock? How do I change the time on the car clock? How do I change the time on the VCR? How do I change the time on the stereo? How do I change the time on my watch?”

By the time I figure out how to set the time on these various technological marvels, the leaves which are now starting to bud will have fallen from the trees, and it will then be time to set the timepieces back again. The process is never ending.

Consequently, I give everyone full authority to mangle the phrase in question with whatever poor usage they can invent.

Bloody grammer police. There was a gaggle of them hanging around the ATM machine the other day, whinging about Daylight Savings Time. They were on tenderhooks waiting for someone to tell them how to change their clocks. Grammer may be their fourty, but technology sure isn’t. It’s just rediculous.

cazzle passes out from the effort of writing that

Will he bring pie?

America’s Dairy Farmers.

Really.

And then there are the Spelling Nazis . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

ah Muffin

WHOOOSH

The hyphen on my keyboard is broken. Does this mean I’m not a virgin?

And why does the OP want the po leece to come after Gran mar? Gran par is the thief in the family.

Sure you can! Say out loud: “O Grammar, why must you be so confusing!” Or have someone say it to you, if you prefer. You’re hearing an apostrophe! :wink: