For Non-Americans: "Would you like peas, squash, or ____?

I know that ‘corn’ is one of those words that has varying meanings – maize in America, other grains elsewhere.

What I’m wondering is how you refer to ‘american-type corn’ in eating contexts? As in the subject line, if you were asking someone which of several vegetable choices he wanted. Would it be maize there, too?

How about if it were, uh, ‘maize-on-the-cob’?

(That just sounds sooo wrong.)

I don’t really see the problem. I am likely to offer corn (maize) with turkey and mashed potatoes to my guests, but I am not likely to offer to serve them boiled stalks of wheat. Sure, I could offer them wheat processed and baked, but that is called bread, not corn.

In UK, Sweet corn if served as individual corns, corn on the cob otherwise.
Squash is also a problem, mixed gourds might be a better name in UK or the name of the actual gourd being used. Squash is a soft drink made of fruit syrup and water in the UK.

Scott Plaid, thanks for posting, but you didn’t answer my question(s). :frowning:

Which is, what word would you utter in referring to the vegetable Americans call ‘corn’ in a dining context in your own country to your own countrymen? Is it “Would you like some more corn?” or “Would you like some more maize?” or what?
(I know there should be no problem in understanding between host & guest, since you’d share the same culture.)

Off-topic, but interesting:
I’ve been told that in Cuba (and maybe other Latin American countries) corn on the cob is viewed as “pig food”, and you’d never offer it to a guest.

Ah. Thanks!

Lol! Okay, I knew it was a drink, too… Now, will someone tell me ‘peas’ changes its meaning, too? :smiley:

In Norwegian it’s always ‘mais’, if it’s on the cob you have a ‘maiskolbe’. Most meanings of corn and grain would be ‘korn’. (Including ‘grainy’ - ‘kornete’)

I would use the word corn.

Certainly not true in Panama. Chunks of corn-on-the cob (though almost never the whole cob) called mazorcas are a standard side dish in cafeterias and as an ingredient in stews. Actually, I think it’s more commonly served this way than as separate kernels.

On the same hijack, there’s some places (I think parts of the western Africa coast) where lobster is a mundane everyday staple.

How do non-americans refer to popcorn?

Popcorn :smiley:

But in England, wouldn’t that mean popped rye? There is puffed wheat and puffed rice, and I assume that they are made in a similar manner to popcorn. Or is this just a case where the given term, popcorn, is just accepted?

Yes, that’s it. I’m guessing the term & the stuff itself are both recent linguistic immigrants.

As i understand it, in england, they call it “What the bloody hell is that!?”

Cite: A SD column I can’t seem to find on the archives

In movies theaters in Panama it’s called “popcorn”; but it’s also called palomitas, “little doves,” which I think is a great name.

There’s only one word in frenchh : mais. “Mais” intented for human consumption is called “mais doux” (sweet maize). “Mais” intended for animal consumption I often heard called in the countryside “mais à bec” (beak maize, refering to the poultry).

Popcorn is called popcorn.

Corn on the cob is very rarely eaten in France, and I can’t remember how it is called.

Here in Québec, popcorn may also be called “maïs soufflé”, but the word “popcorn” has also been borrowed to describe this. As for corn on the cob, it is called “maïs en épi” and is a rather popular traditional dish.

The phrase “blé d’Inde” (Indian wheat) is also used to refer to corn.

AFAIK, lobster used to be considered poor folk food in the Northeast US back in the day 1700s or possibly 1800s.

Well, here’s one anecdotal account from Nova Scotia, and it goes well into the 1900s: