For Non-Americans: "Would you like peas, squash, or ____?

Rye, why? Rye is rye. Corn is corn. Two separate cereal crops that taste really different. As cereals, the UK and US use the same term for them. It’s only when serving them as part of a meal that we use more specific terms.

Puffed wheat is puffed wheat (like in the old ads for Frosties), puffed rice is puffed rice (like in Rice Crispies). Separate foods. Or so I thought. I is confused now

Not Frosties (which are sugar coated cornflakes) puffed wheat made Honey Puffs (“tell them about the huney mummy” was the advert, with the Honey Monster ).

Peas are peas luckily, small peas might be called petit-pois very small peas in eddable shells might be mangetout or sugar-snap peas.

Are you not originally from the US? The OP is asking what non-Americans would say. I only ask beause your locations says “Baltimore”.

Presusmably that is so the pigs can eat the cob, too, but we Americans have learned to eat the corn and save the cob for the compost heap. :slight_smile:

Doh, you’re right.

There are many vegetables that have different names in the UK and the US. One that I haven’t a clue about is a ‘rutebaga.’ What is that?

(Sorry if this is a hijack).

Hey, I’m the OP and I don’t mind. It’s a Free All Vegetable Zone!
So, what are marrows this side of the pond? Hercule Poirot was contemplating one once is a book, and in context it was something grown, not the gooey stuff you find in hollow bones.

Whoops, forgot to answer your question: rutabaga (at least that’s the spelling I learned) are basically like turnips, but more yellow.

Google tells me that a rutebaga is a swede. Horrid things. Marrows appear to be ‘summer squash’?

Here it would usually be either “corn” (if that hideous stuff that comes in tins) or “corn on the cob”. I’ve never heard anyone use the word maize.

Me neither. Corn and maize, are these supposed to be different but similar things or something like that?

In the UK, we’d call it corn-on-the-cob if it’s served whole and ‘sweetcorn’ (or just ‘corn’ - the likelihood of confusion isn’t all that high, because ‘corn’ as a generic term for grain is an agricultural expression, not a culinary one) if it’s being served as loose kernels.

Continuing the “Corn unfit for humans” hijack, there’s a legend been going around that after World War 2, a starving Germany begged the US for “Korn” (wheat and other European cereal crops) to feed its people. So the US obligingly sent them millions of tons of corn (maize). As it was believed in Germany that corn was only fit for feeding pigs, the Germans thought they were being humiliated. As the legend goes, the mistranslation story was introduced into German high school curricula to wipe out this perception.

Here’s a PDF file that references this anecdote. I have no idea whether it’s true or not.

Marrows are essentially giant zucchini. My mother makes a marrow and ginger preserve that is quite good (sort of like a gingery marmelade).

Squash: we don’t eat much of it. Pumpkins are usually only around the place at Hallowe’en, butternut pumpkin (or squash) is becoming more popular though. African or Caribbean shops usually have more varieties.

Pop corn is popcorn. You can buy microwave popcorn, kernels to pop at home in a pot or corn popper, and ready-popped stuff (Cheddar cheese flavour popcorn is popular in Ireland for some reason). It’s standard cinema food, in the UK either sweet or salty, in Ireland only salty popcorn is available in the cinemas.

During the potato famine Britain imported maize (then known as “Indian corn”) to feed the Irish. Unfortunately they didn’t know how to cook it or prepare it, and it wasn’t a successful venture.

Since my mother grew up in Zimbabwe she knows all about maize, but still can’t stomach polenta because of a bad experience with “sudza”/ “mealie meal” as a child. From what I can gather it involved a gecko falling into the pot one morning and my mother being served boiled lizard in maize porridge for breakfast.

I meant also to mention that maize is also an agricultural term; the only time you’d be likely to hear it in a culinary context in the UK would be if someone is explaining what polenta or corn chips are made from.

Maïs grillé is what you ask for when you buy it from the streetside vendors (North Africans with a half barrel full of coals and roasting cobs). Mmmmmmmmm…

That was pretty much what I tried to say with my first post here, but I didn’t explain it very well.

Regarding lobsters – they tell the story at some of the recreations of Colonial villages (Like Salem Village here in Massachusetts) that servants and slaves complained about constantly being fed lobster back in the 17th and 18th century.

Regarding “maize” in Britain – I’ve seen old boxes of what we in the US call “Kelloggg’s Sugar Frosted Flakes (of corn)” in Britain that were labeled “Kellogg’s Frosties (Maize flakes)”

Generall Questions is for questions that have a factual answer. IMHO is better suited to conducting a poll or looking for opinions.

Moved by samclem GQ moderator

This is very similar to the confusion that appears to arise occasionally when Americans learn that Jello is called ‘jelly’ in the UK, as well as seedless jam being called jelly. However do we cope with having the same word for two different things?

Context; the same as anything else; “would you like jelly with your ice cream?” = jello, “would you like jelly on your toast?” = seedless jam.

In the same sort of way that:
“I went to see a movie, then I went for a pizza, which was really cheesy” = “there was lots of cheese on the pizza”
and
“I went to see Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, which was really cheesy, then I went for a pizza” = “the movie starred Kevin Costner”.
Confusion only arises when you try to think of the word in isolation, which is seldom how it is presented in real life.

I have never used the word “Jelly” to describe jam (seedless or otherwise), and I’ve never heard anyone else do so either (outside of the States, obviously). Is that just the term that goes on the label, or do you actually use it in common parlance? I’d just say “Jam”, and if pressed, “seedless jam”.

Still, usage changes round the country. I dunno whether the lunch/dinner/tea argument’s been done on this board or not, but I’m sure as hell not starting it now! :smiley:

Try looking in posher shops :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s more than simply being seedless - something to do with the process used, straining the mixture at some point?