For Non-Americans: "Would you like peas, squash, or ____?

I’ve only ever heard of quince or crab apple jelly, any other preserved fruit conconction that isn’t marmalade is always jam, whether it has seeds or not. To me, I hasten to add.
Interesting.
Why do quince and crab apples get jelly?

I know Americans call jam jelly and I’ve heard it said that this is the reason they think we are aghast at the notion of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Nope, that’s not it, not at all. It’s all about the peanut butter - it’s an abomination!!!
:wink:

Aside, I’ve seen spelt in the healthfood shops and it looks exactly like un-sugared Sugar Puffs. I think that’s some class of a wheat ceral too.

Bramble jelly is one I’ve seen on the shelves in Tesco. And I’m fairly sure other berries get ‘jellied’ as well as ‘jammed’

You can also get redcurrant jelly , which is traditionally served with lamb as an alternative to mint sauce.

Forget the different word for it, why on earth would you serve jelly (the jell-o kind) with ice cream??? I can stomach lots of odd food, but that one would put me off my feed.

Nothing wrong with combination. Jelly and ice cream is the staple fare at children’s parties. Jelly and evaporated milk is also very good and , of course, jelly and whipped cream form part of a trifle.

(UK)Jelly is typically strained through a cloth bag, without forcing - resulting in a clear juice that is further boiled with sugar and set; seedless jam is made with fruit that has been forcibly sieved.

I noticed there were more and more of these vendors, but I never bought them the stuff because :

-I’m not that enamoured with corn

-Knowing the generaly poor quality of the roasted chesnuts they usually sell, I expect their corn to be no better.

I have adopted and celebrated your cake with cream (my husband is from Yorkshire), but this, sir, is an abomination. And you people wonder why everyone makes fun of British food.

Just kidding. I kid because I love.

Unless I misunderstood you, are you saying trifle is a cake? . Not in my book it isn’t .

I think he just mentioned trifle, and then mentioned cake as a seperate thing.

Well, yeah, YOUR peanut butter is a sin against mankind, but have you ever had North American peanut butter? (I assuem Canadian PB is similar to American.) It’s damn good! They pack it so full of sugar that it’s tasty and delicious. Of course, you can get organic and sugar free peanut butter here, which is probably more akin to yourp eanut butter.

If I ever go to live in the UK, I’ll have to bring with me a case of good peanut butter, Lord knows I won’t be able to find it there! :stuck_out_tongue:

No, I was merely remarking that cake with cream (unknown to most Americans) is yummy. I have even tried to spread the goodness and have introduced it to several Americans. However, ice cream with jelly sounds horrible and trifle, from your description, not a lot better. It doesn’t help that I don’t particularly like jell-o.

By the way, I thought trifle was made with fruit, not jelly, but I am, of course, not an expert on British food.

She, Scott Plaid, not he.

:dubious: What? But Brenda is such a masculine name.

I kid, I kid. I just haven’t met you before, nor did I look at your profile till now, so I used the generic “he”

There is both fruit and jelly in trifle.:-

Trifle Recipe

And the mention of her husband was no clue at all :smiley:

Brynda, I’ve seen you mention your road-to-Damascus conversion to cake with cream before, and I’m not sure I’m clear what you’re talking about – do you mean cream cakes (cake with thick, whipped, double cream sandwiched in it, more on top, and often some fruit in there as well), or do you mean cake served with thin single cream poured over it?

Yum- cake and cream (which to me means a slice of chocolate cake with a big serving of whipped double cream).

Trifle…yummy.
My family’s recipe calls for soaking Boudoir biscuits in sherry (lots of sherry), making a layer in the bottom of the dish, adding strawberry jelly mixed with strawberries and bananas, leaving to set. Pouring a layer of custard on top, then a layer of double cream which has been whipped with sugar and vanilla, and finally decorating with glacee cherries and silver balls.

As severus pointed out, in Quebec we usually call it maïs too, but corn-on-the-cob is sometimes “blé d’Inde”, as in “épluchette de blé d’Inde” (corn-shucking party).

As for the “maize is inedible” meme, my dad always told the story of when his family in Ontario welcomed a Scottish exchange student in what they thought was high style, with lots of corn on the cob. Through the meal, the Scottish boy conspicuously avoided the corn. Finally, slightly piqued, my grandmother asked him if something was wrong. He burst out laughing - “you were trying to get me to eat cattle food as a joke!”

Putting jam on your ice cream makes more sense to me than putting jello on your ice cream. Maybe jello works as a parfait, but as an ice cream topping? Seems strange.

Cream cakes sound wonderful, but I haven’t had one. I have had some really nice cake-y things with cream from bakeries in Britain, though. The cake with cream that I have fallen in love with, though, is a slice of (usually chocolate) layer cake (cake with frosting between the layers, plus more on top and sides) with what you call double cream poured over it. Heaven on a plate. Americans call double cream “whipping cream”, by the way, but to me (unlike irishgirl, apparently) it is better unwhipped.

[hijack] Hubby (who is indeed, as you surmised, male) and I were in Northumbria last year. Lovely area.[/hijack]

No, no, the icecream (it works best with vanilla) is the topping for the jelly (jell-o).

Big chunck of jelly, and a scoop of ice cream (either a little of each on a spoon, or smooshed up together). Tastes very nice, but also has all the memories of kiddie birthday parties.