For the Older Ladies

Marcie, who is 52, sometimes looks in the mirror and sighs for her lost youth. I look at Marcie and see a beautiful woman who gets more beautiful every day.

Perception is everything.

What’s really depressing is that I saw the thread title and opened it. :frowning:

At 32:

–I’m seeing more and more grey hair. Not so that it’s noticeable unless you’re looking at the top of my head.

–I have crepey (is that a word?) eyelids

–I have lines under my eyes and little crows feet

–I have two “scowl lines” between my eyes, which are making me look like I’m constantly scowling

What’s great though, is that for the most part, these are only noticeable to me. When I buy cigarettes, I still get carded because I look under 30 and people are surprised that I’m 32! I’ve even had someone say, “But you don’t have any bags under your eyes!” That felt nice.

But, yeah, I see age creeping up on me…and my breasts creeping down.

Imagine my surprise when, before I had my hair highlighted the last time (I’ve been doing this for years), I caught a glance of myself in the bathroom mirror in full daylight and saw – gasp – salt-and-pepper hair! :eek:

I’ve got more white hairs than gray around the temples and hairline…

And yes, my center of gravity is gradually sinking…:rolleyes:

–Kiz, age 42

My frame of mind definitely determines my reaction to the image in the mirror. Some days I think I’m looking ok for 60, and other times I’m aghast at the Old Broad looking back at me. As I’ve said before, the problem with aging is that you get to a point, in middle age, where the inside and the outside no longer match. I don’t think that I feel any different than when I was in my early 30’s, but the forces of gravity remind me that my mental clock is completely out of synch with my physical clock.

The good news is that I don’t mind getting old as long as I don’t feel old.

Hi “Old Broad”… [ I guess if you can call yourself an “old broad”, I can call myself an “old fart” … I’m 63 ]
As long as you have your health, and you have a sense of humor (and it sounds as if you you have BOTH!) and if your kids/grandkids love you and don’t try to take advantage of you, then “life is good”. Sagging bustlines, beer-bellies, grey hair/no hair… these things are really not what’s important. What’s important, is the love in your heart that you can share with others, and the love that others share with you.
Happy Holidays to “you” from “me”! Marty.

I’m only mildly bummed by my looks. One aging change that I like is the gray streaks in my hair. I’ve always liked hair with streaks. What’s getting me down is FEELING old.

Well put pseudotriton. As I’ve matured my idea of beauty has become more refined. Youth is all well and good but it is a fleeting thing. Pretty young women rarely have character like mature women do. So your “girls” hang a little lower than they used to. Maybe a lot. I don’t consider that a drawback and I’d wager lots of guys feel the same. Unfortunately too many women feel pressured to look like teenagers rather than the age they’ve earned. What has it gotten us? A world where injecting poison into women’s faces is a beauty treatment. IMHO that is powerfully fucked up.

A little over a year ago I met a very beautiful woman at a halloween party. When I learned she was quite a bit older than me I had a moment of concern but soon realized she would always be beautiful. We’re getting married in March. I look forward to us growing old together.

If you want a change in attitude go rent a copy of Shirley Valentine.

Plus, older women are almost always better in bed. Not to mention actually appreciative when you do something like fix the sink or change their oil. Young women? Phagh. They’re just eye-candy. :wink:

What an interesting thread. I started getting early worry about aging when I was back in my 30s. A good friend of mine would panic every time she saw a gray hair on MY head, and race to yank each one out (I have to soundly threaten great bodily harm to her if she didn’t leave my gray hairs alone). The loose chin-skin, the lines, the sags, more gray hair… it’s all there. And I have to say “So what?” Aging seems to be a traumatic thing for women who can’t see past their outsides. That saddens me. Of course, I would always love to have my health. But life is a trade-off at every age. Was I cuter and firmer back in my 20s? Absolutely… but I was also stupider, more careless and extremely arrogant (as in “insecure”) back then as well. I love my new-found self-esteem, wisdom and appreciation of friends, family and the wonderful man in my life. And I think I still look pretty awesome for 50, better than I thought I would look (most people guess me between 35-40). Gray hairs and wrinkles? PSHAW! If I get more good stuff in my life for every gray hair that grows on my head and every wrinkle that burrows permanently into my face, I say “Bring 'em on!”

Is it any wonder that I really love this man? He adores me and I adore him. And yes, I am 9 years older than he is. I also had a few brief concerns, but he dispelled them, and we have been together since. For feeling ageless, there is nothing better than having a loving man sincerely telling me how beautiful I am. He’s one in a million. Thank you, honey! (Sorry if I’m making anyone sick here!!! We tend to do that among our friends!!!)

I will be 44 next week. Most of the time, I feel, and act as if I am 24. Most days I leave the house not thinking if I look okay, but with my pupose in mind. The thing that makes me feel old is when I get hit on by older guys. In my mind, the young, good looking guys should be the ones hitting on me, not their dads. When that happens, I come home, and look in the mirror and ask “What were they thinking?” I have noticed the face beginning to sag a bit, and the body could be what it was if I tried. Most often the realization of age sinks in when I see pictures of myself. Then it is always a slight shock.

BTW, I posted 2 pictures - the addy is in my profile. I’m the one with the long hair. Please be kind, I’m a mommy.

I’m 46+, no gray hair, 100 lbs, my own teeth, and a 26 year old guy hit on me a week ago. Physically, I’m not too bummed (hubby thinks I’m pretty), but I just can’t get over where the time went! I’m looking forward to the next few decades with my husband. He’s 11 years older than me, but we share a long history and we’re looking forward to having some free time in our retirement.

I don’t really mind getting older and looking older. I was never a knockout to begin with, although I was certainly more attractive when I was younger, and thinner, and bothered with contacts instead of wearing glasses. But I feel so much relief at being past that, past basing my self-esteem on how good I felt I looked, or how much attention I might attract from the opposite sex. I feel so comfortable now.

I’m 35, BTW.

Lyllan, when the younger ones hit on you, it’s because they appreciate the gorgeous, more mature woman. When their fathers hit on you, it’s because they appreciate the gorgeous YOUNGER woman! Girl, ya gotta see it for what it really is! You’re obviously attractive to a wide spectrum of men! You go, girl!:smiley: