For Your Convenience

The branch of our bank that we opened our account at is located about seven miles from our home, but about 3/4 mile from the route we use to commute. However, there is another branch just off the highway we use, a quick in-and-out. So we pull in there, and lo and behold, the doors are locked up and the movable furnishings are gone, and on the door is a sign:

“To better serve you, this branch will be closed as of {date the Friday before we stopped}.”

Considering that they publish NO list of branches, either for customers or in the phone book, and we found this one by chance while taking that route, the likelihood that we drive by other branches a block or two off our direct route is quite possible but would take some exploring, in rush hour traffic, to do.

Geez, I like how they serve us better. Maybe they can improve our service a little more, and close our account or something.

Anybody else got stories along these lines?

i signed a year membership to a gym, the next month they changed their name to cosmopolitan lady, and would take men customers. but would they give me my money back?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Metroshane, I realize a tee-shirt with “Cosmopolitan Lady” is not as macho as, say, “Gold’s Gym.” If they still let you work out there where’s the harm? Or did you mean to say that they didn’t allow men membership?

IIRC, Cosmopolitan Lady is a chain. Your gym got bought out, 'shane. Get over it.

Poly, what bank? University of Utah Credit Union almost did that to me a few years ago when they discussed removing the ATM from the U of U bookstore (as the main branch of the CU was right next door). But then people managed to convince the bank that it was reeeeally nice to be able to get money on evenings and weekends . . .

-andros-

“Listen Children Eternal Father Eternally One!” Exceptions? None!
-Doc Bronner

Polycarp, why not just call or ask next time you stop in?

Anyway, the same thing happened to us. After a decade, we closed the account at the credit union because it was so far away from our home and we had to pay everytime we used the ATMs around our home.

We picked a major bank that happened to have a branch right around the corner from us. Lo and behold, the very next day, they put up a sign saying they were closing that branch and moving it about 3 miles down the street, to a new shopping center being built.

Waddya gonna do?

Therealbubba

“To better serve you” my bank announced with the most recent statement that it was no longer returning cancelled checks, but instead would make photocopies, and provide us with those. Of the front of the check only, with about a dozen on a page (reduced size).

To show my bank how happy I was about how they were serving me, I opened a new account at the bank across the street and closed the one at my old bank.

-Melin

I WAS WIERDED OUT WHEN I FIRST SAW THE LACK OF SYMPATHY, BUT THEN I REALIZED MY EDITING SUCKS.

THEY WOULD NOT LET ME WORK OUT!!!IT WAS LADIES ONLY.

SOME CLAUSE ABOUT BUYOUTS WAS THEIR LOOPHOLE

Ouch. Please don’t yell, metro. Hard on my poor old eyes.

That sucks. They should definitely have refunded your money, then. Know a lawyer? If not, try posting in GQ and getting some of the SDMB pet lawyers’ opinions. They shouldn’t be able to get away with shit like that.

-andros-

“Listen Children Eternal Father Eternally One!” Exceptions? None!
-Doc Bronner

“Pet lawyers?” Do I get to choose who I want to pet me? :wink:

Take 'em to small claims court, 'Shane. I’m reasonably certain you’d win that one, “buyout” clause or no.

::usual disclaimers::

-Melin

thanks for the advise.