Former staffer accuses Joe Biden of sexual assault

The window of Kavanaugh’s national relevance was significantly shorter (by a decade, if not decades) than the window of Biden’s national relevance. Just because “Republicans said this too” doesn’t make them equivalent questions.

Journalists certainly should investigate. The Democratic party certainly should investigate. I’m sure both of these groups are already investigating. Law enforcement should investigate if they have reason to believe a crime has been committed – so if this accusation qualifies, then they should investigate this (I don’t know the statue of limitations for the jurisdiction in question).

We should take it extremely seriously, and find out all the facts that can be determined regarding the accusation.

Yes… and? This is why this accusation should be taken seriously and seriously investigated.

I expect they (the party) will investigate extremely thoroughly, because if the accusation is accurate, Biden will need to drop out before the convention so an alternative can be found. It would be politically insane to “drop the subject”.

Serious enough to the same extent that when Pete Buttigieg and Robert Mueller were accused of sexual assault and it went viral online, the claims were looked into and the people looked into to find out it was a hoax. Mueller’s office referred it to the FBI.

Investigating all sexual assaults extremely thoroughly is not only the right thing to do, it’s also the politically smart thing to do. The party and even the campaign team need to know the facts of all potential lines of political attack against the candidate.

And then due to the extreme time lapse, no evidence one way or the other is found (JUST LIKE MOST CASES but also like the Kavanaugh case), then what?

Appoint Biden to the Supreme Court.

What are we supposed to do with the accusation now?

We already know that Trump is a serial sexual assaulter. We know that Biden has inappropriately touched other women before – this is not really new information.

I hate sounding like an apologist, but Biden is the best of some rather shitty options, which is shitty, but I’m not going to let the perfect be the enemy of the survival of this country.

I know I’m going to get torched for this, so flame away.

Or in this case, allow him to run, also allowing the Trump re-election campaign to freely bash the issue, kinda like Kavanaugh still gets bashed :wink:

But hey at least the iiandyii’s of the world got their “investigation”, and some of them they will agree with while others they will not. Of course this has nothing to do with partisan politic lines, AT ALL.

I agree, we all make mistakes. Kavanugh was accused, but appointed to the USSC. I mean what does it matter that an accusation could result in the President possibly being elected. Trump was accused also if I recall.

The same thing rational Americans wanted the Republican party to do this time 4 years ago – pull whatever strings are necessary to kick potential sexual abusers out of the presidential race.

Get to the bottom of it, quite obviously. There are several months prior to the convention. If it’s real, then there are probably other potential accusers out there, and we need a new candidate. If it’s not, then this needs to be known (with all the supporting facts) to rebut political attacks that attempt to utilize this accusation.

This should be politics 101.

The thing is, she already got her kick at the can. When all the “creepy uncle Joe” stuff was being aired and investigated, this woman piped up with her story that at the time was similar to the others. ie

“He used to put his hand on my shoulder and run his finger up my neck. I would just kind of freeze and wait for him to stop doing that.”

Now, she is saying she was scared to say the truth back then and her new story doesn’t match any other accusation. It’s pretty fishy.

I’ll also note that this is an entirely different kind of accusation than the others – IIRC, this is the first time anyone has accused Biden of sexual assault, or anything close to sexual assault. All the other accusations (acknowledged and apologized for by Biden, IIRC) were non-sexual touching – i.e. hair, shoulders, hugs, etc., that violated personal space but with no allegations of anything sexual.

Needs to be fully investigated – and this need is both moral and political. I’m 99% certain that skilled journalists, and party investigators, are already doing so.

If so, this is just another reason to investigate, thoroughly, NOW.

Most people probably remember Clinton was accused of a 1978 rape when he ran in 1992. It made the news for a short time.

Why is that a reason to investigate? Someone changes their story = good reason to investigate??

Joe Biden is not Donald Trump, and people had better not take the fucking bait.

Full stop.

Investigations are to find the facts of the accusation. If the accusation isn’t true, we need to know, and the sooner the better. Same goes for if it is true.

Most people understand that Biden’s not going to campaign against Trump’s sexual virtues or lack thereof.

I’m assuming the reason she hasn’t filed a criminal complaint is because this alleged incident was some 27 years ago. So are law enforcement authorities likely to get involved with this investigation?