Found 2 cans of Bumble Bee canned crab in my pantry - what to do with it beside dip or crab cakes

I have no idea why I bought this. But I’m trying not to waste food. Any ideas?

Crab Tacos? I’m not sure what canned crab tastes like.

Crab salad sandwich. A little mayo, Old Bay and celery. Eat it on crackers.

pretty sure dip and crab cakes are the ONLY approved uses for tinned crab meat.

The Bumble Bee website has a recipes section. I didn’t look through it to find a recipe with their crabmeat products, but it’s worth a shot.

If you’re going to eat it cold, seems like it would go well with avocado.

Soup. I mean, that’s the easy answer to any “what shall I do with this?” question, but Chinese crab & sweetcorn soup. I’m not transcribing from my old-faithful Ken Hom’s Chinese Cookery from the mid 80s, but if you Google “Ken Hom crab and sweetcorn soup” you should be sorted.

I’d also be tempted to make a pie (my other standby answer to “what shall I do with this?”). Creamy sauce, leeks, splash of white wine, dijon mustard, possibly sweetcorn again, potentially dill; either make a proper pie, maybe a pasty, or just have it in a dish topped with either puff-pastry, or mashed or sliced potato.

Warm it up and put it on your eggs Benedict.

Cut an avocado in half, remove pit. Mash some mayo into each half of the 'cado with a fork, throw on a little shredded lettuce a little more mayo, and push the crab meat into the mayo. Sprinkle with paprika. Sit down and eat.

Or just a general crab/seafood soup. Thaw some raw frozen shrimp if you got em and throw them in too. I make a pretty darn good quick seafood soup from canned salmon (this is where you could sub the crab), shrimp, a can of chicken stock, diced pepper, onion, celery, garlic, couple herbs and spices…and the secret ingredient, a pinch of saffron (optional). Serve with steamed rice and enjoy.

Or, use it as the seafood component of a gumbo, which usually has chicken, a pork product (usually sausage but bacon works) and some type of seafood.

Yep, great ideas both. I found some odds and ends of haddock and a piece of oak-roasted sea trout during the great freezer-purge the other day, and a tub of milk I’d frozen after using it to poach fish, figuring it would eventually make a good base for a fish soup. It did!

Crab Mac and cheese?

Add the crab to an Alfredo sauce. Serve over your choice of pasta, although I would recommend fettuccine.

Find old cup of sour cream from fridge - scoop off layer of mold. Add crab and can of creamed corn you don’t remember buying. Stir and discard.

I just asked this question not long ago about some canned crab. (It’s a no-name brand, and it is not lump crab, but very fine flakes, almost like wet sawdust). I got some suggestions in that thread.

I plan to add it to canned lobster bisque or drain very well and add to something like pimento cheese, spread on an English muffin, and broil.

My thread is titled ‘what to do with this iffy canned crabmeat’

Great shout.

Crab Melt vice tuna? A bit of mayo, a dash of hot sauce, lemon, capers or chopped olives, add crab and stir. S & P to taste, spread on your favourite toasted bread , cover with old cheddar and boil until melty.

crab hash, crab omelet, crab melt, crab benedict

Crab melts

Mail them to me. :slight_smile:

Do you have a cat?

Open can, do not drain. Melt 3 or so tablespoons of butter in a pan, add minced garlic and Parmesan (not the Kraft powdered kind). Drop in crab. Cook until hot. Toss with linguine noodles.