Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash

That quote has been there for a long time, so maybe the cite in the OP is the result of recent negotiations.

No, I don’t think so either. But maybe.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who sees the resemblance. When I first got into Buffy, I was a little confused because I thought Xander was Bruce Campbell.

Seriously.

Am I the only one who clicked this thread thinking it was about Ash, the kid from Pokemon?

Although, Freddy vs Pikachu has its possibilities…

“Nothing to report on our end” is Bruce’s version of “no comment” whenever his name is bandied about for a big project on the Internet.

Evil Dead IV, The Lizard in both Spider-Man movies, Freddy vs Jason vs Ash, The X-Files (incidentially, he was the second choice for Doggett), you name it.

And to say he hates Ash is just stupid. Watch Fanalysis, see him speak, rent the Evil Dead video games. He has fun with it and loves Ash and he loves the oppurtunities it brings him and all of the Raimi brothers.

No, it’s not. If you read a lot of his interviews and hear him talk, the thing he seems to detest most in movies are two dimensional characters, specifically the squar jawed, macho man, who does nothing but beat things and spout one liners.

Look at Ash.

He enjoyed the character, and loved making the movies, but he’s pretty unhappy with the way that movie’s popularity has left him type cast for a good long while. All his talk about how he’d never do an Evil Dead 4 because “it’s not a popular enough series for a fourth film to make any money” is a sham. He may not mind voicing the character in video games, but he’s pretty much made it apparent that he’d never play the role again in a movie.

I have to disagree with you here. I interviewed Bruce Campbell a couple of years ago. (And heard him speak, and saw the Twin Cities premiere of the remastered Evil Dead, along with Fanalysis. It was a great evening, even before the free beer.)

Read his bio. Seriously. It’s a good read. See Fanalysis. It’s fun, and a good insight into Bruce. One thing will be come clear: he doesn’t hate Ash.

I asked him straight out if he’d do ED4 if the opportunity came up, and he said “of course, but it will never happen.” He’s not shamming – he believes that the studios will not risk money on an Evil Dead 4 because 2 and 3 did not make money at the box office. It’s simply not a good return. Of course, Sam Raimi’s newfound prominence may change that – the studios could well be willing to fund something now.

El Elvis Rojo, it seems you have a strongly held opinion that BC hates Ash. Can you perhaps point to something specific that reinforces this for you?

I would, but it seems all the juicy stuff I remember from his website about the possiblility of Evil Dead 4 has been replaced with “No,” so referencing that doesn’t do me any good.

But I have met him, I’ve seen Fanalisis (I was at that convention where he talked to Xena (not Lucy Lawless, but the other woman…you know the one)), and I’ve read his book as well as a few other things that used to be posted on his site, and everytime he talks about it, you can tell he’s just sick of talking about it. He’s always got an underlying attitude that it will never happen because he doesn’t want to be a part of it.
But hey, maybe it’s just me who got that off of him from the few times I’ve heard him talk and read his stuff. And again, he’s mentioned several times how that kind of character is one of the big issues he has with Hollywood movies. Of course, he then goes and picks up roles like Jack of All Trades, but hey, an actor’s gotta eat, right?
If you feel like he’s all for it, then hey, fine, I can’t prove you wrong. All I know is that from what I’ve gathered, the idea of playing Ash again in a movie is one of the last things he’d ever want to do.

I do think he’s tired of dealing with people obsessed by the ED movies and Ash, and wants to do other things as well, so I’m with you there. Where we diverge is in going from that to “he hates Ash and would never play the character again.”

I’m not entirely certain I want him to play Ash again, to be honest. I think Army of Darkness was a great swan song for Ash, and another movie would be hard pressed to live up to it.

By the way, not quite a hijack… BC’s favorite of the series is ED 2. Because they had enough money, they kind of knew what they were doing, and the studio left them completely alone.