Free PC game and free weekend notification thread

I’m not sure where you got that idea, it’s $30 to purchase it.

It’s free on Epic, not Steam.

My apologies, it is Epic instead of Steam (not sure how I mixed that up). Here’s the correct link. Unfortunately it won’t let me edit my earlier post.

Thanks both of you. It’s a good-looking game, I’m grabbing it. :+1:

It does look intriguing. Installing it now. (47%)

I’m liking it so far. At least I’m liking it better than Surviving Mars, which I also installed just to compare. (It was also an Epic free game I picked up over the summer.) I did the first tutorial mission on Surviving Mars, then switched to Aven Colony.

After the first tutorial mission, Aven Colony seemed clearly better to me. Oddly, after the first 10 minute tutorial mission, I’m multiple hours into the second tutorial mission. There is a tremendous amount of information to take in, but still, will this second tutorial mission ever end? I think there’s like a half a dozen of these tutorial missions.

That’s good to know - I enjoyed Surviving Mars for a bit, but found myself losing interest after a few days of playing.

I love city builders but I am used to Anno 1800 and Civilization and find most others lacking (or Cities: Skyline if you want literal city building).

Are these games (Aven Colony and Surviving Mars) worth a go? Different in good ways other than setting?

I’ve never played any Civilization game. And in fact, I’m mainly trying to avoid spending $9 on Civilization 6, which is currently 85% off, I think until November 11th. (It’s a super old game to still be selling for $60.) The game I really want to play is Humankind, but that hasn’t gone on sale yet.

The second tutorial mission on Aven Colony finally ended after about 7 hours. It was fun and engaging, so that’s fine. The very next map, however, appears to have an extreme nanite shortage. Nanites are the only building material in the entire game, so a shortage of those is kind of a bummer. To the point that I’m going to have to restart and rethink my entire strategy. Honestly I may just give up. I’m not sure the whole nanite economy game balance is thought through well enough. But I will definitely try again. I’m hoping the one-two punch of Aven Colony and Surviving Mars helps me resist the overpriced Civilization 6 sale.

I do like Aven Colony’s hostile environment, at least. Ice storms and lightning and giant sand worms and all sorts of active threats. And you can build some nice defensive buildings to shoot them down with rockets and whatnot. That’s pretty fun and satisfying, at least.

Specifically, during each map you get many little mini-missions, like build this building or get to this population or whatever. Completing each mission grants you a reward, which is frequently nanites. It would appear that the game may depend on and require those mission rewards in order to make the maps playable. There may not be enough nanites on the maps themselves to advance properly without mission rewards.

I’m not saying this is a problem, I’m saying I’m worried that this could be a problem. I’ll find out later today when I can try again.

Assassins Creed: Chronicles is free on Ubisoft (added into UbiConnect)

Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep: A Wonderlands One-Shot Adventure is free on Epic.

Team-Based Racing/Combat game KEO is free on Steam
So is dystopian state-spy simulator Beholder.

Discourse is lecturing me on making too many posts in a row but they’re not the boss of me.

I haven’t played Aven Colony yet, but the game mechanics for Surviving Mars are much simpler than the Civ games. Surviving Mars has a few things that I don’t recall in the Civ games (such as colonists have personality traits that affect how they work and interact with each other) but things like the tech tree are much simpler. It’s worth a free download to check it out - while it may not be as involved, it may be enjoyable to you for a bit.

I downloaded this the last time it was free and thoroughly enjoyed it! In fact, I liked it enough that I bought the sequel (Beholder 2, which happens to be on sale for the next 24 hours for $2.99!), which I also really enjoyed. Simple game mechanics, but great storyline. Be prepared to be confronted with morally/ethically difficult choices.

SteamWorld Dig 2 is currently free on GOG

SteamWorld Dig 2 is now also free on Steam which people will probably like even better. Options!

I’ve got a pretty good gaming rig now. I think it came overclocked from CyberPower where I bought it, but I am not sure. How do I check?

When you turn it on, you’ll get a prompt to hold a button to enter the BIOS or UEFI (basically same thing, different interface). This is typically the F2 or DEL key. From there you can check and see what your CPU clock speed is set at.

Alternately, you can download a utility such as CPU-Z or CoreTemp or HWMonitor that will display your CPU’s clock speed.

Cool. Thanks! I will check in when I get home from work and see what’s up. I think I have overclocking capability as it’s an i-9 10 series processor.

Edit:

I found the specs:

CAS: CyberPowerPC Alumalight 241V Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Window [+20] (White/Orange)
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900KF 10/20 3.70GHz [Turbo 5.2GHz] 20MB Cache LGA1200 [w/o Integrated Graphic] (Comet Lake-S) [+120]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX ARGB 360mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate [+40] (3 x Standard 120MM Fans)
FREEBIE_CU: Marvel Avengers Game [+0]
HDD: 1TB ADATA ASX8100NP-1TT-C PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to Up to 3500/1900 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 290/240k [+5] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 256MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+46] (Single Drive)
HEADSET: None
IUSB: Built-in USB Ports (Based on motherboard and case selection)
KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+90] (Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB [+45])
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX, ARGB, 2.5GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2x M.2 SATA/PCIe
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - GIGABYTE GP-P750GM 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active Power Supply [+59]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
TUNING: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6 (Ampere) [VR Ready] [+434] (Single Card)

So I guess no overclocking but that “turbo” function I guess delivers up to that 5ghz-ish number when under duress?

As mentioned, CPU-Z will tell you all for this.

It will not tell you if you are overclocked. It just tells you what the system specs are when you run it.

You would have to compare to the original specs to see if you were delivered an overclocked machine.

I doubt they overclocked from the store since that tends to void warranties but maybe they did.

Honestly, overclocking is a bit overrated. There was a time when it was well worth the effort. These days, the manufacturers tend to send the chips out at close to max ability. They learned people were buying cheap chips and jazzing them up. They learned to charge you for it now.