Freedom Tower?!

This is what Bush has done with America’s most cherished word: he’s turned it into something Orwellian that people are ashamed of. Damn him for that.

Bush named the new tower?

No. He made “freedom” a dirty word.

I was thinking the same thing. We should be happy the owners haven’t sold the naming rights. Yet.

Trump’s point seems to me “let’s pretend it never happened, and try to go back to what we had before”.

Of course, my opinion is slanted by always having regarded the WTC as a monstrosity. And Liebeskind’s design is stunning - and New York, the creator of high-rise buildings and the home to so many iconic structures, should be embarassed at the idea of rebuilding those two bland cuboids.

“Freedom” is a dirty word now?

MY GOD IT"S A GIGANTIC HYPODERMIC NEEDLE!! :eek:

It’s not dirty, but ‘tainted’. Just as ‘liberal’ is, at least in America.

Put me down as really digging the design. Simple and elegant, fusing triangles, squares and octagons. No fru-fru nonsense.

The name sucks. If you’re free, you don’t need to jump up and down proclaiming it. Oooh, look, we’re so free, we’re naming our big tower Freedom and our airport Liberty, isn’t that great?

Why do you people hate freedom? :mad: :wink:

I for one am damn tired of the Natiional Propaganda Ministry tacking “freedom” onto everything. I call bullshit on it. Are they turn my home city’s name from New York to Freedomtown next?

That is the funniest thing I’ve read in long time. Well done, sir. :cool:

A long time. Must going bed now I am to be :smack:

Is it just me, or is there an energy beam shooting out of the friggin’ building? :dubious:

And I’m probably the only one picturing Djimon Honsou’s character from Gladiator entering the building with a group of fighters going, “Ok, now we are free”.

“For FREEDOM!” SMASH
'course, it could be a decoy, with no business of real importance in it, so that terrorists can blow it up all they want without harming stuff that really matters.

It’s got 2.6 million feet of office space nobody wants. You may be onto something.

Blase name aside, the Freedom Tower is five years away from opening and it might be the most complained-about building in the world. Maybe if you count Abu Ghraib, but I don’t recall anybody pitting the architecture on that thing. :wink: New York’s got so many great buildings, why put in something as boring as the WTC again? They should’ve built something better in the first place.

Maybe the city’s plan is to keep haggling and delaying this thing indefinitely, so that when it finally gets built nobody will complain about the design - because we’ll all be too bored to care. If so, they’re on the path to success.

You weren’t kidding when you said it looked like a hypodermic needle. Still, I like it better than the original design and I always thought the twin towers were too tall for the skyline. This is a bit more proportional and the twisty thing is nice.

Freedom Tower as a name is so unimaginative. Didn’t anyone have a thesaurus?

Mine offers ‘abandonment’, ‘carte blanche’, ‘profligacy’, ‘disimprisonment’, ‘brazenness’, ‘impertinence’…

I think this is a design that all the heroin addicts could approve of.

But it’s going to be a real bummer coming out every day to find another lot have impaled their arms on the damn thing.

The TOWER OF BRAZENNESS. Much cooler.