French fried sweet potatoes recipe?

We had lunch at Red, Hot and Blue the other day, and one of their sides is french fried sweet potatoes. I got them. They were addictively yummy!

I found one recipe on line, but I was wondering if anyone had ever made them or had a recipe to share. The ones I had weren’t greasy, so I’m wondering if they were really fried or if they’d been baked.

Anyone?

We do 'em in the oven. Lightly toss them with some olive oil and kosher salt, pop them in a 425 oven until tender and browned. If they don’t brown up, stick them under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

I haven’t tried french fried, but I’ve made sweet potato potato chips. I just fried them as for regular chips. They were very good, a tasty alternative to regular chips.

Would you suggest sprinkling with sugar, to give it a little punch?

I’ve tasted lots of sweet potatoes that aren’t particularly flavorful, unless they’re baked for a good 60-90 minutes, which somehow seems to intensify the taste.

The ones served at Babe’s are sugar-sprinkled, and wonderful!

The ones I had were served with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. Yummmmmmmmm.

Doing them in the broiler never occurred to me - thanks, Chefguy!

The olive oil gives them a sweet enough flavor for me, but to each his own.

I have no idea how to cook a good sweet potatoe at all, so is there anything I’m supposed to do before mixing them with olive oil and salt? I’m supposed to shave them and cut them first, right? And how much olive oil do I put on? Would you suggest I put some cut up bits of sweet potators into a bag with some olive oil and salt and shake, or just drizzle and sprinkle while it’s on the pan? And can I substitute Kosher salt with something else? What does Kosher salt do that my little generically labled “salt” bottle can’t? Is there anything else you’d reccomend they be served with, or maybe dipped into?

Yes, peel them and cut them into small wedges. They are denser than potatoes, so be careful you don’t lop off a fingertip. I like to cut the yam in half, then lay the cut side down and cut wedges out of it. You only need enough oil to lightly coat the potato wedges: less is better, and you can always add more if needed. You can use any salt you wish; I just don’t like the chemical taste of iodized salt. These are good with lamb chops or a roast chicken.

Thanks!