Friends reunion in May

1 time unscripted show

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/21/808330444/hbo-max-wants-to-know-how-you-doin-as-it-teases-friends-reunion

A documentary, more or less. Not a new episode of Friends.

It looks like this isn’t their day, their week, their month, or even their year.

Previous thread that may be of interest:

Some mention of a reunion show here, too:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/27/entertainment/matthew-perry-engaged-intl-scli/index.html

They may as well wait another couple of years and call it Cocoon III: The Reunion

Bumped.

Not the May we all expected, but here’s the first teaser trailer:

This is going to be as depressing to watch as seeing your favorite 80’s band modern day reunion. Everyone is old, bald and fat. On stage and in the audience.

I think I’ve seen photos / interviews with all of the six stars and they all look pretty damned good. I’m looking forward to it.

As am I.

I heard(on a morning show) the release date is May 27th.

Those who are interested have probably already seen it, but here is another trailer.

While I haven’t seen much of the guys, the three women are still on TV and IIRC, look just fine. Courtney Cox was on Cougar Town (though I never watched it). Lisa Kudrow was on Space Force and looked fine. And Jennifer Aniston seems to be keeping all her parts in the right places in We’re The Millers and Horrible Bosses.

Gimme a sec, I got something in my eye…

It looks like there’s gonna be a fashion show of sorts; I saw the Holiday Armadillo and Rachel’s bridesmaid dress (stuck in her underwear). What you want to bet there’ll be someone with a turkey on her head and someone who couldn’t BE wearing anymore clothes (unless they’re going commando).

They said on the news this morning that some fans who either somehow watched an advance viewing or just saw preview clips are concerned that Matthew Perry was all hunched over and slurry when he talked, in light of the fact he’s had a history of substance abuse problems. They played a short clip of Perry talking and he did sound half in the bag.

I’ve read similar comments. I also saw a clip from the Graham Norton show, though I don’t recall what the air date was, and he sounded wasted. The trailer, however, almost made me think illness. Either way, it makes me sad; MP has always been my favorite Friends, as far as someone I would genuinely like to hang out with.

To anybody who saw it: was there any new scripted content in character? If so, how much and was it any good? I have no interest in reminiscences, or anything the actors do as themselves, but can’t view it on any of the services I currently use.

It airs tonight, so not sure how / if anyone could have seen it yet. It has been specified in the press that it is not scripted. In fact it is exactly what you don’t want; reminiscing with the actors.

It appears to already be on one streaming service here in the UK (NOW TV) but I don’t have it so can’t check and I assumed the US got it earlier, .I had heard that although it was mainly reminiscences there was some new scripted content.

I’ll still watch it, but that’s kind of a bummer. I haven’t been a huge fan of all the shows that have been off the air for years and years and decided 'let’s all meet up on zoom and have people watch us talk". Especially when a lot of it is inside jokes or ‘industry talk’. That is, a story about the time Rob, the gaffer, wait no, he was a PA, but filling in for John that day… We weren’t there. Sometimes the actors can make the story interesting to an outsider (Adam Savage is really good at this if you watch Tested), but sometimes it feels like sitting through a high school reunion with your spouse who’s high school you didn’t go to. It’s difficult to reminisce when you weren’t there the first time.

Having said that, it can work, as long as they group remembers that they’re not reminiscing, they’re telling stories to an audience. As odd as it sounds, Whitest Kids You Know, have been doing this and it’s worked well (or as well as you’d expect from them).

OTOH, the ones, even via zoom, that were essentially a regular episode have been okay. 30 Rock, in particular, I think worked well.