Friendship deal breakers

Morkfromork , the guy seems repentant about his actions, it sounds like he doesn’t want to lose you as a friend…don’t call it off just yet- keep an eye on him. Maybe if you could find some way to see if he is being sincere about his apology. Everyone makes dumb mistakes in life, he could be an okay person who just made a very bad decision that he’s paying the price for right now. On the other hand, he could be a bad person whom you are sparing grief having to put up with. Its your call, ultimately.

For me, attitude is very important. I can’t be friends with people who don’t have any sense of remorse or regret for harmful things they have done. I also can’t be friends with people who don’t have any sense of personal boundaries, this includes myself (I couldn’t continue a friendship in which I felt I was violating someone elses boundaries, even if they put up with it)

Case in point five years ago- I had a very close friend whom I had known since the 3rd grade. Both of us met this girl, and both of us liked this girl. That is where things got extremely ugly. It became evident that the opportunity of getting laid became more important than our friendship, and we changed from being 2 people who were mistaken as brothers to bitter enemies trying to undermine each others actions. Finally, I gave up; the girl involved wasn’t worth getting in a feud with my ex-friend. So we weren’t friends for 2 years.

During that time, I got two other friends. However, these two guys were bad news- drug using law breaking hooligans whose fun nights out involved vandalism and theft. I hung out with them because they accepted who I was, they liked being friends with me in a school of people who seemed to loathe me. So I figured dodgy friends were better than no friends, but this was a mistake. Their behaviors just got worse, and I slowly became friends less and less. One of these guys even got involved with a sexual relationship with my ex-friends little sister, which caused me lots of grief (him already hating me, was convinced I put the guy up to messing with his sister). So I relalized these people were rotten too, and spent a time without any close friends, because I couldn’t find anyone who liked to spend time with me who wasn’t completely bonkers one way or another.

Eventually, I became friends with my former friend again, and we are closer friends now than we ever were. The experience taught me much about personal boundaries, and self-respect.