From

Does anyone else out there suffer from flat feet? My arches are SEVERELY fallen. Not only is my footprint
arch-less, but actually bulges outward.

For God’s sake…why does this happen??? Is it the bones? The joints? Ligaments? And, because of the way I step down, all of my weight is placed in the area of my big toe.

When I step barefooted on linoleum…I create suction. SUCTION! I’M A FREAK OF NATURE! Am I the only one? Please tell me it’s not so.

Well, if you think about it, this really can be marketable skill… :wink:

I think your title got truncated…

Well, I don’t have flat feet. But you’re not a freak. A lot of people have flat feet. Here are some links:

http://www.personalmd.com/news/flatfeet_06062000.shtml
http://www.footcaredirect.com/flatfeet.html
http://www.yourhealth.com/ahl/1782.html

This one is about surgery to correct flat feet. It says this is best done between the ages of 12 and 13. But if your feet don’t bother you, this isn’t something you have to worry about anyway.

http://www.rnews.com/health/items/954379458.asp

What is between 12 and 13?

I read somewhere that someone (it’s late, I’m tired) proposed that the number “umpty” be inserted between two and three, that way there would be a number between 12 and 13 called “umpteen”.

Relevent? No.

So sue me.

Can anyone suggest a good lawyer?

I decided to sue Sue!
A case of “extreme irrelevancy” is in order!!

I am hoping we can get to be better friends in court!!

All right, Sue Duhnym (if that is your real name), I’ll tell you what’s between 12 and 13. Twelve and a half! That’s right. “How old are you?” “I’m five, AND a half.” Actually, I imagine around 13 is when kids stop using the “and a half” thing. So there.

What? Oh, ok. “The surgery works best if performed by 12 or 13 years of age.” So my paraphrase was pretty bad all around. Well, sue her. (You can’t sue me. You’d have to “lesa” me.)

I was actually kind of discouraged when I got to the part about the age. I was hoping this was some great new thing for everyone with this problem. Well, at least it helps people lucky enough to get diagnosis and treatment when they’re young.

I’m still waiting for someone else with flat feet to say hi to Recently Digested…

I have pronated arches or something like that. It’s a combination of flat and pigeon-toed feet. It didn’t start to get painful until I was in my mid-late twenties.

See a podiatrist and get yourself some arch supports. They x-ray your feet, take some measurements with something like a carbon-paper footprint detector (?) and then write a prescription that you take to a qualified cobbler. The break-in period is painful, but after that you should experience blessed relief. You will have to wear the arch supports for the rest of your life (but not in bed).

Buy good quality shoes. I have worn almost nothing but good hiking boots since I discovered the problem. I was even wearing the top-grain leather kind during the summer because I loved the support so much. Good Luck.

Well, Sua is a lawyer, I think, and I think he’s really good, so perhaps that makes him a really good lawyer??? Anyhow, that way you could have Sua sue Sue

on the OP. No, I have very highly arched feet. But I’ve known quite a few folks with flat feet. Does that help?

Yipes. I thought I wrote the title as “From ‘Big Feet’ to my feet.” Oh, well. The vague nature of THIS title has a sort of mysterious allure to it. Actually, I probably just screwed up.

Marketable skill? LOL. Probably. I’ll put it on my next job application.

I DO have lifts. They’re expensive, but luckily my father was in the military, so we had that sort of coverage. My feet and ankles are still sore by the end of the day, though. The weight placement across the sole in unnatural, you know? Almost all of the pressure falls on my big toe, or the bony ball right below it. Is this normal? I guess that happens because, when I step, my ankles are sort of collapsing inwards, naturally attempting, as they are, to roll when I walk. I guess it’s that tendancy to roll that makes them hurt.

I had a podiatrist tell me that, in his long and illustrious career, mine were the flattest he’d ever seen.