FUCK YOU, Microsoft. I am NOT a fucking criminal.

But I fucking well should be.

Every time I boot up Windows for the last few days I get a pretty little bubble in the bottom right corner that says “Your copy if Windows is not genuine. You may be a victim of piracy!” No motherfucker, British merchant ships were victims of piracy. I’m a victim of a fucking company I shell out good bucks to checking up on me to make sure I didn’t steal their shit. Like it fucking matters that Bill Gates won’t have an extra million. (I don’t care that he donates it to charity. His fund built half my high school. I still don’t fucking care, I shouldn’t be treated like a criminal.)

FUCK YOU, Microsoft. Now I have to prove to you that my copy of Windows is genuine? Let’s see if ONE FUCKING PENNY of mine finds your coffers between now and the afterlife.

Why are you pissed off at Microsoft? Whoever sold you your copy of Windows sold you a fake copy. Get pissed at them.

MS probably programs these messages to appear randomly on a percentage of their installations. Some number of folk will follow a link to a site where they’ll fork over bucks to make the messages go away.

Very cost effective revenue stream. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe, maybe not. He didn’t say where he got his copy of Windows, it may be genuine but the piracy detection code has made a mistake. Which would be Microsoft’s fault.

Did you, in fact, pay full price from an authorized reseller for your software? If you believe you did, and your registration process did not get messed up somehow, then you are a victim of some kind of criminal act, as is Microsoft. Sounds to me like you have an illegal copy of the OS, so are not entitled to support from M$, making you…

Wait for it…
A victim!

Microsoft isn’t stealing from you, I’m assuming you aren’t stealing from Microsoft (although I have no evidence one way or the other) and Microsoft isn’t accusing you of stealing. They are accusing someone else of selling you stolen goods.

I’m not sure that their actions are any different than discussed inthis thread, but if you want support/updates from them, I think they have a right to check the software they are updating.
If, as some people have suggested is their evil next step, they attempt to deactivate your copy, then I would be hopping mad! You stole that fair and square! Pricks.

Yeah, sounds to me like perhaps your copy of windows could potentially be a pirated copy. I don’t see MS having a message like that pop up randomly. it makes no sense. Could it perhaps be some kind of scam code that made it into your machine? you know, directing you to a site to shell out bucks or give up personal info?

Did you recently reload Windows XP? I went through a simple verification check recently on a reload and I have had no problems since.

Try this Microsoft page: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

Jim

If someone sold you a pirate copy of Windows, then they might have loaded in some other software after they stole Windoes. There might be viruses on your machine, or spyware, or programs designed to record details of your identity (like your credit card number, etc) and send them to criminal organizations for misuse.

So you might want to know if your copy is genuine or not. Personally, I appreciate Microsoft providing the assurance.

I know two cow-orkers who have machines built by this “nice 22-yr-old” geek from work 3-4 years ago. They both got that pop-up window in the last few months.

Our opinion is that he installed pirated copies of XP Professional. And that Microsoft recently(this year), in one of their updates must have imbedded something that tells them the copy is pirated.

YMMV.

So, fetus, where did you get your copy of XP?

Windows Genuine Advantage.

I know the rule on intellectual property here, and will try to tip-toe so not to break any rules.

When you buy a copy of XP, that copy has to be activated within 30 days of installation (as I’m sure you’re aware). The exception is if you get yer paws on a “no activation cd” which MS supplies to big organizations. Having to activate every single copy would be a bitch, and sometimes the install is done from a server.
These CDs are great for software piracy, which I’m sure MS is aware of. The geek that builds computers in the basement and sells them cheap through classified, can install from the same disc over and over, never paying MS, but charging the buyer for a copy of XP.

Maybe you’re a victim of some scam like this and MS has found a way to stop this form of piracy.

Personally, I don’t like those kind of “distro” disks that some computer manufacturers ship the OEM version of XP with (I’m looking at you Compaq), where XP is bundled with a lot of other crap, notably trialware that willl keep nagging you to buy the premium version.

Anyway, bitching about MS gets really old, and even if you think they don’t deserve to make all those $, I think it’s good that they’re finally stepping up to the plate when it comes to security.

Nope, it’s real. I ran a battery of tests on the Microsoft website which finally said it was real, which I knew already because it came with my ThinkPad.

(and the various other posts saying basically the same thing)

Nope, it’s real. Just Microsoft trying to deny me updates and service based on their mistake and their assumption that everyone willing to put up with their product is a criminal.

Some 22-year-old geek named IBM. Ever met him?

The thing is, roughly one fifth of all Windows Genuine Advantage alerts are false positives. On perfectly legal systems.

Isn’t that nice? Even Paul Thurott, a genuinely Pro-Microsoft man from way back, the guy who runs the SuperSite for Windows, a very good resource, got bit by the WGA claiming one of his systems were illegal.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wga.asp

You know that Windows Update thingy that runs every so often? Next time it pops up, click “Custom Install” – if one of the available updates says “Windows Genuine Advantage” or “WGA”, UNCHECK it and select the option to NOT display that option in the future. Problem solved!

Guess I’m lucky, since my copy of WinXP is indeed 100% pirated, so I won’t feel bad about having to purchase an actual license if the thing suddenly stops working. Heck, all of my software-pirating buddies are feeling the pinch these days, some of them have even resorted to PAYING for software! Imagine that! How the world turns.

Let’s see here, M$ has a history of:[ul]
[li]Releasing buggy software[/li][li]Patent infringement[/li][li]Not understanding security issues[/li][li]Taking forever to fix glitches[/li][/ul]And everyone automatically assumes that fetus has a pirated copy of XP and that this “Windows Genuine Advantage” is a good thing. I don’t quite see the logic here. While M$ has every right to protect their intellectual property, let’s not forget that many of the various “solutions” to software piracy have turned out to be worse for the legitimate consumer than the pirate (Sony, I’m looking in your direction). Frankly, I don’t understand M$'s sudden push to verify that all the XP copies out there are legit since they’re planning on dumping XP for Vista next year anyway. (And most PCs today won’t be able to handle Vista’s requirements, so it’s not like this is going to force them to buy a legit copy of Vista when it comes out.) Oh yeah, a little googling will reveal there’s already hacks for WGA out there.

Here is a very recent article on the subject of Windows Genuine Advantage.

It makes reference to a Microsoft Blog column:

So I wouldn’t immediately assume the OP has a problem with their Windows installation.

According to this article, M$ doesn’t really have a good grip on matters.

Exactly.

Anyone who’s paid more than about three seconds’ worth of attention to the whole Windows Genuine Advantage issue would know that there have been literally thousands of people with genuine and legal versions of the OS who have been told otherwise by WGA.

Once again, an anti-piracy measure ends up being more of an inconvenience for honest people than for the pirates themselves.

See post #14.

Microsoft correctly assuming that everyone willing to put up with their mistakes is either stuck because of work requirements or too damn lazy to run something else.

Seriously, did you just now discover that Microsloth sucks? Is WGA somehow the ONE thing that you don’t like about 'em?

No, everyone automatically assumed we didn’t have the full story, and we didn’t. As fetus later came in and cleared everything up, it now is clear that the problem is with IBM or M$. The fuckers.