Fucking dumbasses who riot after their team wins

My alma mater, the University of Maryland, won the women’s NCAA tournament. I am happy about this. But do I set fires, throw bottles, or try to tip over buses because I’m happy about that? No, because I am a civilized human being, unlike the fucktards who do that sort of thing. :rolleyes: What the hell do they think that’s going to accomplish, except for making them look like the dumbasses they are? :mad:

For that matter, sometimes they riot because their team won, and sometimes they riot because their team lost. What the fuck is up with that?

Alcohol + adrenaline = scary things.

Sad, but true.

City fathers should request more .500 seasons?

My daughter is a freshman this year. She went to bed right after watching the game. But that was a pretty feeble riot, if riot it was. (That’s a good thing. ) The cops told them to get out of the street, and they got.

But then I went to school in Cambridge, MA in the '60s, and live near Berkeley - so I have high riot standards.

I’m all for going Kent State on their asses. I have no patience for sports riots.

I was at UMD in early and mid eighties.

I think there need to be rules added to whatever covenants and/or regulations govern professional and college sports. Whenever fucktards riot for team, for whatever reason, that team does not get to play next year. Teams need to corral their fans.

Sure, it is harsh punishment, especially against the players who were not directly involved in the rioting, but it would probably end unwanted displays of high-spirited enthusiasm.

And students who riot for their teams should be expelled from their schools.

Amen!

They should also face legal penalties for any destruction they caused, and have to pay for it. Some of those assholes involved in the riots let the Washington Post print their names, ages, and majors- clearly, they weren’t afraid to have people know they were involved in this shit. That needs to change.

So that’s what happened!

I was sitting in BWI yesterday on a long layover and heard 3 college girls plastered with sports memorabilia talk about some sort of “riot” (they also talked about “fucking racist pig cops” shooting at “kids” with “rubber bullets”???) but their language was so sports-oriented and so full of slang that it was hard to tell what they were talking about exactly.

They were not only not expressing dismay about the riot, but they were talking about how cool they were, and how cool some guy named “Justin” was because he threw a brick through a window. The way they talked, the riot made their whole year, and they were scanning through some video on one of the girls phones saying things like “Oh fucking cool, they’re on TV! This is epic!” :rolleyes:

I got home too late to check the news and didn’t really today, so I ended up getting it from the SDMB.

I think that Pyrrhonist’s proposal, that would prohibit a team from playing the next year if the fans riot and expelling the rioters from school, would do something toward changing that asinine attitude that rioting and people who participate in the riots are “cool”. Or at least those of us with some sense wouldn’t have to go to school with those dumbfucks any more.

Reminds me of the satiric story of mathematicians rioting after Fermat’s Last Theorem was proved.

Could we include professional sports teams in general and the city of Oakland specifically?

Yes. Yes, we could. I also think the rioters’ homes should be taken away from them and given to somebody more deserving, like me :smiley:

Another U of MD alum (early 80’s) checking in. This pales in comparison (or so I heard) to the riot after we lost to Duke (2000 or 2001 I think).

In fariness to those rioters tho, it was a poorly officiated game. :smiley:

Personally, I prefer to riot before the game. It just seems that much more chaotic. The adrenaline rush is really great that way.

It’s harsh, but probably not without precedent at this point. Soccer federations are trying more extreme and unusual measures to stem rioting these days. I remember at least one game that was played in an empty stadium.

Interesting, I never thought there was enough interest in women’s hoops to cause a riot.

Wisconsin’s won 2 NCAA titles in the last 2 weeks, and no riots at all, though I haven’t heard about everything that happened last night.
We used to have a big bonfire on the main street after we won, the cops would let us enjoy it for 15 minutes, then put it out and we’d go home, or back to the bar. The good old days, but things are different in so many places now.

We riot for stupid things, like halloween.

Which reminds me, UW Men AND Womens hockey team, we’re #1