Fucking Neighbours

I didn’t want to write in the pit quite yet, but now I’m too damned pissed off not to!!

I live in an aptment building that is so not soundproof, I live with it and deal with it but now… oh i am so pissed off… ok ok My downstairs neighbours are young parents with a little kid (i’d say about 3 years old). At night around supper time, i can hear the kid running around, screaming, crying that’s fine it’s early. But every other night between 11pm and 2 am he/she has a fit and starts crying, screaming so much and so loud that he/she coughs. The parents scream at the kid to shut up!!! GODDAMIT some people are trying to sleep. I actually have to get up and walk around in my room where the floor cracks (must i add that i am fuming as i walk around until they get up…) the most for them to get up!!!

Last night, it was cold here… i guess their windows were open and decided to shut them around 3 am, of course did they just slide the window gently NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they slam those freaking… enough to make my heart stop and of course again wake me up only to open them again around 4h30 when some kids we skating outside laughing screaming… they reopened the window as gently as they had closed them… so this morning, i get up extremely tired, cranky, bitchy… do my little morning routine and when it was time to put some jewelery on, i dropped one ring on the floor… oooopss sorry!!! WELL WELL , he just came up, tonight, to tell me i was too noisy in the morning, that i should be more careful… I got so mad i was shaking… that fucking jerk, so of course i tell about last night and only last night (i don’t mention that i really don’t want to listen to Kylie Minogue all night or Pink… i must say i did get even for that with some Rob Zombie hi hihi). So he just raised his shoulders and said well he’s a kid (now i know it’s a he!!!), as for the windows they wanted to make sure they were closed, JESUS any harder and they would have broken and for the yelling at the kids outside well they were pissed off… and i was just the last drop with dropping things in the morning.

Oh jeez! i don’t know what to do, every fiber in my body wants to really let them know what it would be like if i were to be really noisy, but my intelligent civilized self is fighting back… damn i hate being nice… any ideas on how to get even with them and make them feel what it’s like to really be “disturbed” and annoyed by your neighbours…

Oh boy! ok i’m sorry about that but i had to get out… just hope it made sense…

It’s a battle that just lends itself to increasing retaliation until the cops get involved.

In the meantime, stop being nice. Being nice is only nice if it makes you feel nice. If you’re nice and later it makes you feel like crap, cut it out. Be a snippy, haughty bitch. You’ll feel better.

Montreal, hmm? Well, the Plateau is pretty quiet, most of the time.

Get their phone number somehow and call them late at night when the noise goes on to politely ask what you could do to help. Then speeddial them every 10 minutes–if they keep you up, why not return the favor? Doesn’t make for good neighbors, but you might be pissed that point.

That may be a bit much with a little kid that can’t be blamed for his parents. My bad neighbor was a little different.

I once lived in a Baltimore rowhouse next to a drug dealer. This guy would wake up around 9pm and start partying around 2am EVERY *7%$ night. The common brick wall was thin enough that if the pot smoke wafting through the bricks didn’t wake me, the rap music blasting finished the job. His landlord was some 22 yr old bimbo that was staked the property by her parents to make some money.

The 19 yr old dealer only got the place because his own mother didn’t want him in her house and she worked at the same job with the landlord. The landlord got Section 8 public housing subsidies from the city if she rented to jackasses like this drug dealer. To evict him would take an act of God or at least a transgresion that showed overwhelming demonstrable cause that the landlord didn’t care about proving as long as she got rent paid by the mother and the city subsidy.

I got her phone number and more than once called to complain about the noise at 2am or later; her husband often answered the phone and asked me “did I know what time it was-- and he couldn’t hear me over the backgroung noise…what was I doing waking them up at 2am±-he was trying to sleep.”

“Yeah, me too. What do you think the problem is?” That your crackhead tenent is a night owl?

This guy would open his alley window and piss on our house instead of using his toilet; the bimbo landlord goes “why would he do that that?” I don’t know–he’s fucked up on crack and you charge him water use? And he doesn’t like the complaints from us? How could it be–she asks?

The police were like “oh yeah, that address is the drug house”. Thank you for doing nothing.

I was fantasizing about dumping butryic acid–stuff the anti-abortionists dump at clinics–down the guy’s air shaft to get rid of him and making the place uninhabitable.

Only he got busted selling drugs–go figure and now he’s gone.

Bryan… i am nice basically LOL… i don’t want this to escalate into a war, i just want it to stop… i did meet the landlady earlier tonight when i went for my mail she told me they are moving in July… so only a few months to go…

647 thank god it’s not that bad… i’d probably move in the middle of the night LOL… they do smoke pot though on their balcony in the summertime… i can be sitting in my living room reading and smell it… aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh brings me back :smiley:

Greetings to a fellow montréalais. Don’t know what to tell you - the apartments I’ve had have been pretty habitable. Bryan, the Plateau is nice if you can find a bloody apartment that hasn’t been turned into condominiums.

Yeah, if you can find an apartment AT ALL.

That totally sucks, jools. Unfortunately, you’re lucky you have an apartment, and a lot of landlords (and tenants who are moving out, too) take advantage of the fact that you’re stuck.

My not-so-dependable advice: get some earplugs. Take the high road. Yeah, they suck, but what can you really do?

At the risk of sullying a perfectly good rant, why don’t you try using white noise? White noise can be surprisingly effective at blocking out noise and encouraging sleep.

You can buy expensive machines that generate white noise or you can simply tune your TV or radio (TV probably works better) to a non-station. The resulting hiss is, essentially, white noise. Crank up the volume high enough, and you’ll probably be able to sleep through anything.

Make sure you tune your TV or radio to some frequency where there is NEVER anything being broadcast. I tried this trick at maximum volume in a very noisy hotel once and it worked great. Rather, it worked great until Channel 6 came back on the air at 5:00 am.

Or you could throw a rotten ham through their window. ;D

“SHA-RON!”

I used to live below a woman who would not only use up all the hot water when she took her shower (we shared a hot water tank) but she walked so heavily it was virtually impossible to sleep if she was roaming about upstairs. The pictures on our walls actually would shift when she went for a stroll.

It was even worse when she had company and would practice her dance steps.

Actually, white noise never worked for me. I always had to listen to something that I wanted to listen to, usually through headphones, and I lived in a squadbay for 3 of the 4 years I was in the Marines. After I got out, I simply turned my stereo up when the neighbors got rowdy. Luckily, I now live in a concrete building that insulates even the noisiest neighbors.

I Love this.
:smiley:

I wholeheartedly sympathize with your plight, jools.

I live in an apartment and my across the hall neighbor is absolutely one of the rudest people I’ve EVER had the misfortune to run across.

For SIX MONTHS – every day, all day – I had to deal with her rotten little brats (and I love children, by the way – but not hers) jumping so hard on the floor it makes the building rattle. They would talk as loud as they possibly could in the hallways and slam every damn door in the place. Her downstairs neighbor and I complained constantly to our landlord to do something about it.

I told them I was on the brink of insanity, but yet nothing was done. They talked to her, but she would do stuff just to piss us off. My downstairs neighbor had it worse as her stuff would rattle on her walls and her ceiling fan would shake.

One day I finally had it and SCREAMED bloody murder at her about shutting up. She called the cops on me – but only after I had threatened that would be my next step. The cop was confused at why I was so happy to see him. I found out later that the bitch lied to the police to get them to come over. She told them I was forcing my way into her apartment to harm her kids! Imagine how pissed of I was then!!! :mad:

Finally, the managment threatened her with eviction and she quieted down – for about two weeks.

Slowly the irritating behavior escalated and now it’s almost back to it’s original level. The only good thing about this is that her parents, who had been footing the bill for her to live there, are cutting her off and gave notice that she’d be moving out.

In the meantime, she’s been having her kids jump and thump and slam and scream. They’ve been throwing toys and garbage onto the lawn. They’ve been pouring pop and juice through the balcony floor so it gets all over my other neighbor’s window and patio.

I have to wait until May 15th until she’s GONE. You can imagine the party that will take place when she moves! :smiley:

I can only hope the next one isn’t worse!

I love reading these threads . . . Makes me feel so much better about the white-trash Kallikacks who live in the back apartment . . . Especially with summer comimg, as they’ll be a-partyin’ and a-barbequein’ and a-cussin’ up a storm.

For those who, like me, missed the Weird Earl: Neighbor from Hell.

I am sooo glad you cannot hear anything thru my apts. walls. My girl is a screamer, and most likely the cops would have been called already, plus being able to blare music at 4am kicks ass.

My first apartment after college graduation was in a “quadplex” (two apartments downstairs, two upstairs). My downstairs neighbor had a water leak, and rather than repair it or ask the landlord to repair it, she would shut off the water at the main so that the whole building was without water until someone went out to turn it back on. This could go on several times per day.

In a not-unusual drunken stupor she left something burning on the stove. When the entire building was filled with smoke she staggered out into the street, leaving her two-year-old son behind in the (for all she knew) burning building. Talk about Kallikaks! She had to be a direct descendent.

Sounds like abuse.

Jeff Olson, thanks for the link! I’m DYING as I’m reading this thing!
:smiley:

WOW Jeff thank you so much… at least I’m renting LOL

WOW Jeff thank you so much for that link I needed that… makes me think that at least I’m renting … gotta go with the positive :slight_smile:

Aristides i do hear them also but I don’t say a word cause they must hear me :rolleyes:

Truthseeker I will try the white noise trick… hopefully it will work !!!

As for the kid being abused, I did think about it but before I call children services I wanted to be sure…