Fun with perimenopause

Great.:rolleyes:Shall I just kill myself now? I don’t have a period anymore (yay, hysterectomy!) but I do have my ovaries…thus, hormonal times of the month.

I got through with that shit 2 years ago, at 46. I asked my mother, and she went through it at 43. So I think there’s a genetic component as to when it all stops. I was lucky and didn’t have too much trouble. I still occasionally get hot flashes, but not bad. Around the perimenopause, I did have some problems with palpitations and sometimes having numbness in my arms and legs occasionally. That freaked me out. But all is well, now. No hormones 'cause I’m not ready to quit smoking, dammit!!!

I’ve been having problems for a couple of years now. I turned 44 yesterday. I had fibroids from hell and recently had my uterus removed after 3 months of straight bleeding. I kept my ovaries so I’m still getting hot flashes and major irritability around what would be “that time”

I tried asking my mother a few times when she went through menopause, but she would change the subject. In her mind she is still 39. It sucks being older than ones mother :slight_smile:

Lately I’ve been having super heavy periods, sometimes very painful, sometimes not, sometimes for 5-7 days, sometimes for 3 and then there are the occasional night sweats. My husband is going to have to rethink the heated waterbed soon, I think. I hate waking up in wet, clammy sheets. I’m 41. I don’t plan on using my uterus or ovaries. They can be quiet and behave themselves now.

Almost 54 and hopefully just about done with this shit. The worst I had I labelled the “trifecta”: cramps, wicked period and hot flashes all at the same time. Blehhh. Proof positive God is both a guy and a misogynist.

That reminds me. WTF is up with suddenly growing facial hair?!

I’m pushing 50 quite hard, and I’ve been having various symptoms for a few years now, maybe since I was 45-46 or so. I don’t have hot flashes in the daytime, but night sweats are pretty common. I’ve been alternating with no period, almost imperceptible spotting type period, then horrible soak-everything-in-minutes stuck pig bleedfest. Luckily, though, the last type has been getting less frequent. I do sometimes get that “Hmmm, gonna get a period” vague crampiness sometimes but nothing really happens, just spotting. I’m getting pretty damned tired of the whole thing, especially since I’ve been sterile since the age of 21–who needs this nonsense, anyway? Oh yeah, the insomnia/light sleeping thing can bite my ass too.

ETA: Oh hell’s yeah, that facial hair thing is the pits! I swear my grandboy and I are in a race to see who can grow a beard first… :rolleyes:

Boy, I thought it was just my kids, my husband, these cats and the weather driving my mood into the terlit - I forgot about the perimenopause.

I thought mine started before I got pregnant at 38 because I was having a lot of the symptoms. Both my mom and her mother started perimenopause in their mid-30’s (which is why mom my declared, when I told her I was pregnant, “No you’re not! You’re in menopause!”)

Irritability and insomnia are my two curses, I have to be a lot more careful about what I eat. And I now have a lot of cramps with my cycle, which is new.