Funniest line you saw coming a mile away

If you’re waiting for a line in Constantinople, it’ll be set up in Istanbul.

Oh don’t mind them. Apparently him and his friends are such They Might Be Giants (musical group) geeks that not knowing the lyrics to one of their songs popular from the 80’s is a major faux pas.

Alright, that does it, Night Court is now in my Netflix queue.

Can’t remember any really good ones, just this thing from The Simpsons:

Homer (nearly) runs into a deer with his car. The following comments are made:

Homer: D’oh!
Marge: A deer!
Lisa: A female deer.

Okay, all together now, here’s the damn song, for those who slept through the early 1990’s. No more complaints or head-scratching.

Mine is the one in Hudsucker Proxy where Norville Barnes says something to woman in Finish, she screams, and her husband punches him.

Spaceballs:

After the earlier “1 2 3 4 5” combination setup scene…

Mel Brooks: “That’s the same combination I have on my luggage!”

I don’t get it.

If he learned Japanese while in the Marines, he probably wouldn’t have learned anything useful for civiliam life. Certainly nothing like “please sit down and join me for coffee.”

As a Marine, the Japanese he learned was a command to surrender.

WKRP was a show produced in the late 70s. So he’s a guy in his 50s with experience with the Marines in Japan = 30+ years in his past = there for the post WW2 occupation. So when he shouts one of the phrases he learned in Japanese (and he did shout it), they raise their arms in surrender or compliance.

It’s one of those “you had to be there” things I guess.

It’s not a line, it’s a scene, but it’s in Triplets of Belleville, when one of the sisters goes frogging with a grenade. My ex-to-be and I figured out about 30 seconds before everyone else in the theater did what was about to happen and couldn’t stop laughing.

Another one from Spaceballs:

The villains are pursuing the heroes’ spaceship. The hero give the order “Jam their radar!”

The camera shifts to an exterior shot of the radar dish on the villains’ ship. There is a brief pause, long enough for you to think to yourself, “Nah, that’s too easy. Brooks wouldn’t go for something that obvious.”

It turns out, he would.

Aha! Yes, that is funny. :slight_smile: (For some reason I was picturing “put their hands in the air” as a single hand each)

But the best part is that the jam then runs down the radar screen.

I remember a lot lines in Spaceballs turned on this kind of humor. “Comb the desert”. And the Planet of the Apes ending.

You know, I was thinking about that Supernatural when I read your title.
When the FBI guy said “I shot the sheriff,” I turned to my wife to say “but he did not shoot the deputy” and Dean Winchester beat me to it. :smiley:
I laughed so hard I started coughing.

Not a line, exactly, but when I first saw “LA Confidential” and the name of Johnny Stompanato was mentioned, I knew that a “hooker cut to look like Lana Turner/ no, it’s really Lana Turner” joke was coming up. They did not disappoint.

(For those unfamiliar with old Hollywood scandals, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Stompanato)

Here’s a punchline I never saw coming:

My respect for Mr. Connery just went up a notch. Of course, it was a YOUNG Sean Connery that did this. But still.

Apologies for the hijack.

Why’d they change it?

(Nothing like beating a dead horse :smiley: )